Note to New Members ×

Car nuts thread ?

Poloturbo

14 hours ago, Jack M said:

1997.  It blows my mind that a car that was new the year after I graduated college is now a classic.

My first car was a ‘73 Javelin. Thing is, it was only 5 years old when I bought it. All those 60s and 70s classic muscle cars are younger than me. The first generation of my Miata was still 7 years away when I graduated college. 

• Like 1

On 12/26/2021 at 2:51 PM, Jack M said:

Picked up this classic this spring… always loved them. The boy is using it for now.  1997.  It blows my mind that a car that was new the year after I graduated college is now a classic.

550FFFC3-4E05-4A28-8664-3C5BE3913053.jpeg

FB9EABEC-8759-4101-9299-3B87651886D3.jpeg

Duuuude!!! Love these! So rad! Functional, simple, effective, capable!! Also: yes. We are all classics now 😝!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Have to show you what my brother just bought.   A replica 1955 Jaguar D Type.  It's hidden but there is a passenger seat.  The original is worth 3 - 4 million.  He owned an XKE in the late sixties and always regretted selling it.   

1954 D-Type jaguar.jpg

Engine.jpg

Interior.jpg

D-Type 2.jpg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Neil Gendzwill said:

Wow, that is gorgeous! Is that built on a VW chassis or something like that or is it totally fabricated?

This was the writeup before he bought it. 

This Jaguar D-Type replica is said to have been initially built in the late 1960s and was completed under previous ownership approximately 20 years ago. It was acquired by the current owner in 2019 and was fitted with a replacement 4.2-liter inline-six sourced from a 1984 XJ6 in 2021. The car features fiberglass bodywork finished in British Racing Green over a steel and aluminum monocoque chassis. Power is sent to the rear wheels via a four-speed manual gearbox reportedly sourced from a 1967 XKE, and additional features include an XKE-sourced front suspension, a shortened Jaguar Mk II rear axle, triple Weber DCOE45 carburetors, four-wheel disc brakes, and replica 15″ Dunlop steel wheels. This D-Type replica is now offered by the seller on behalf of the current owner with a clean California title listing the car as a 1955 Jaguar. 

On 12/27/2021 at 8:15 AM, Neil Gendzwill said:

My first car was a ‘73 Javelin. Thing is, it was only 5 years old when I bought it. All those 60s and 70s classic muscle cars are younger than me. The first generation of my Miata was still 7 years away when I graduated college. 

I'm so old that when I attended the University of Florida, the campus cops drove Studebaker Larks!

• Haha 1

• 6 months later...

Update on my brother's Jag.  A guy in Scotland said "I have to have it!" and the price was right so my brother shipped it from Breckenridge to him.

I attended a concert the other night and parked my '99 Vette behind this '62 beauty  I met the owner who told me that it had been used for drag racing when he bought it 35 years ago and restored it.  

62 vette.jpg

Edited by patmoore
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

A good friend stuck his 360 cam on the nose of my formula car for a run around a local autocross: 

Not my best work, but fun to be able to look around to see all the angles! 

Click on the video title to open YouTube to enable panning/looking. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, that was a decreasing slalom - extremely tricky to get your decel rate correct. I never did get it right in 6 tries, but I got closer on other runs.  This car is both humbling and exciting as my mind is the limitation in the whole system. 

Top speed is a bit of a guess. Likely around 120 kph (75 mph) for that course. There's some crazy speed amplification when your butt is 2" off the ground and you're practically laying down! (My toes are roughly between the silver and purple decals on the nose)

The powerful street cars can have higher peak speeds, but the slicks and low weight means I have a higher average speed. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

If you scroll up you'll see the replica '55 Jaguar D-Type my brother bought last winter.  It isn't the most practical vehicle when you live in Breckenridge.  A guy from Scotland got in touch with him and said, "I HAVE to have that car!"  So, my brother sold it to him and shipped it overseas.  Last week he went out and bought another replica - a Shelby Cobra.cobra.jpg.ef6a74f13f5bd2bc4d89adba32d76f4d.jpg

He already had a couple of vintage Porsches.  

My collection consists of a single 1999 Corvette.

GMHX3978.JPG.89e5d3bb273133c8238aac2cde06f914.JPG

I've not shared any photos of my autocross/canyon running car is some time. I built it in 2014 and have been racing it hard ever since and it's so much damn fun. I've been making improvements to it every year and it keeps getting lighter (1230 lbs now) so it goes around the corner like you're being swung around on a rope...and with 250 hp it pulls pretty darn well.

Here's two shots with the car on street tires, one on its race slicks and one being driven at 10/10ths at an autocross event.

The only thing that corners harder is a Kessler on chalky hardpack!

dave

DSC_4333.jpeg

DSC_4303.jpeg

IMG_0049.jpeg

bill15.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Neil Gendzwill said:

Nice looking C5!

Chevy did some interesting things with their 6.2L engines when they changed them over in the C8. By changing the crank to a flat-plane cranckshaft, they went from the typical max RPM of 6000 to well into the 10,000 RPM range. For anyone who understands the differences between cross-plane and flat-plane crankshafts and primary vs secondary balance vibrations in an engine, this was revolutionary with the Chevy V8's that have always had that deep throat sound, but such a limited Rev.  With HP derived from Rev X torque, and their new engine still being a powerhouse of torque, the difference was noticeable. The sound is more formula one, but a small price to pay for the new, incredible performance.

Corey - I checked out that Throttle House review of the Cobra and sent it to my little brother (he's only 72). Very entertaining!

We bought the Vette at the beginning of the lockdown with the aim of visiting all 251 towns in Vermont.  We've made a lot of progess.  When we bought the car I asked the business manager if he'd take a personal check.  He slammed it down on the desk, smiled, and said, "Didn't bounce!"

We get some nice foliage here each October.  Here's some footage I shot with my drone.

251 club welcome to ludlow.JPG

Edited by patmoore

Throttle House is great and getting better with every video they put out. Their latest review of the electric 7 series BMW is a hoot. I have no idea how they keep getting these expensive cars to review when they call it exactly as they see it, good and bad. Also they are Canadian, even if they are from Toronto.