Note to New Members ×

Car nuts thread ?

Poloturbo

2 hours ago, Corey said:

I love the FD RX7! Such a timeless beauty. 

I assume from your username that you're sticking with a rotary engine? I'd love one of those with a more conventional engine! 

I Had an RX7 turbo and loved it... there is one here in town that has an LSX swap in it. Hottt.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Corey said:

I love the FD RX7! Such a timeless beauty. 

I assume from your username that you're sticking with a rotary engine? I'd love one of those with a more conventional engine! 

Yes, A new 13BREW will be on order from Mazda shortly!

3 hours ago, Neil Gendzwill said:

The rotary is part of the charm! Guy at work had a red one, gorgeous car, sold it and got a butt ugly Lexus sc. I was sad not to see it in the parking lot.

That generation RX7 is the prettiest car to ever come out of Japan imnsho. 

I think Vintage Red and Silver Stone Metallic were the best colors for this car. Nearly all of the promotional photos were in these two colors. One thing that comes with these engines is smelling like a gas station whenever you go near one.

4 hours ago, Neil Gendzwill said:

Are you sticking with the sequential turbos or going for something more reliable?

New engine with sequential until I have the required $10-12k to convert to a BorgWarner EFR 8374 and shoot for 380 wheel. 

Speaking of sequential, those things get so hot with the stock hood and intercooler setup. I burnt my hand on the hood prop after I went to lift it up. 1600 degree exhaust gas temperatures with a barely adequate cooling system is no joke. A V-mount intercooler will be on order in the near future.

Did you know they made ski racks for these things?

rx7 roof rack.jpg

On 5/23/2021 at 11:58 AM, skidad62 said:

I Had an RX7 turbo and loved it

The story behind the Wankel engine is a sad one. The inventor simply wanted, and then designed, an engine that could rev up much higher that conventional engines, and was pushed out of the market due to the monopoly's of the big 3. This would have been the perfect small plane engine as well, if there weren't so many hoops to jump through to get FAA approved....   Brilliant guy and at least his design wasn't mothballed to some designers desk....

• Like 1

Ah yes, Felix Wankel. His harangues about "shakemills" (piston engines) and the inherent flaw of a design that requires converting an up-and-down motion into a circular one instead of STARTING with a circular motion are legendary. Also legendary are the two-or-three finger salutes Ro 80 (how far ahead of its time was that car!) owners supposedly gave each other to indicate how many engines they had already gone through …

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I have so much to catch up on in this thread. I just bought a 2004 R32 with only 50k on the odometer. Bone stock ... for now. Gonna sell my forester on BAT as it has become a royal PITA to get past smog every two years here in CA. Too bad because It's a capable, and reiliable beast. That said, the new r32 is a lot of fun, though severely underpowered. Can't beat that exhaust note.

On 5/22/2021 at 9:51 PM, RotorGoal said:

So, this rolled in today. I've got my work cut out for me and it's going to be rather expensive, but with a bit of work I can make this thing look and run much nicer than in its current state! Manual swap, paint correction, interior plastics, and a new engine and we're in business!

94SSM1.jpeg

94SSM2.jpeg

94SSM3.jpeg

94SSM5.jpeg

I've never been a Mazda person but my god have I always loved these. The most beautiful body styling of any modern car ever, bar none. Gorgeous cars. Sexy!!!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The Frankenjeep just came back home to me. (www.frankenjeep.com) 

With my buds passing I will be doing a rebuild next year. Just picked up all the stainless for the frame Friday and will tackle it this spring. I will end up going all electronic computer controlled spark (coil per cylinder) as well as EFI this time around since I now know tuning. 

Will post the horror picks when I have it all apart, as I will be fully and completely taking it all appart to get at all the little issues. (Cracking the engine / transmission case and replacing the clutch, replacing leafs and going to 3" rear, and all the wiring, etc) This will literally be in and on my lift in 1000 pieces.....  Can hardly wait...

Edited by TVR

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/6/2021 at 12:54 AM, Q's said:

My baby…

B7D1E730-247E-4E40-BEFB-25998AD5C10E.jpeg

Lapped Tremblant on the 996tt .friend car

Amazing car. My talon 20g was way faster on the quarter 11.9@119mph

Race him and he was way behind. On track way ahead 

Need to read back and up to date on the thread.

Keep it up. Truly like it

This year pic.

Pics that got lost...

Screenshot_20210525-132928_Gallery.jpg

Voyage Ouest 2013 882.JPG

• Like 2

I meant to post this earlier.  Last summer I was attending an usher's meeting at the Weston Playhouse in Vermont and thought I'd picked a safe place to park my '99 Corvette.  I watched an elderly (even older than me) woman pull in next to me.  I yelled STOP as loud as I could and fortunately she heard me.  One inch to spare.  I calmly said, "Ma'am, please step out of the car and give me your keys".  I was temped to ask for her license as well.  I backed her car out and moved it well away from the Vette....

corvette almost hit.JPG

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...