Note to New Members ×

Hairline cracks in 192 Tanker topsheet

D.Roe

Hi,  I recently bought an unridden 2000/01 Tanker 192. It appears to have a few hairline cracks in the topsheet. (I have a 182 Tanker of the same year -- which has been ridden a lot! -- and it has no such cracks.) Does water likely get into such hairline cracks?  If so, what is the solution? A small bead of superglue over the cracks? Maybe paint the whole topsheet with a new clear coat?

Thanks for any suggestions!
David

On an older thread, someone suggested trying sealing such topsheet cracks simply with clear fingernail polish.  Anyone ever actually tried that? 

My current plan is to mark the cracks, ride the board a day, and inspect for lengthening of cracks. If the don't get longer, I may just try fingernail polish. If they do get longer I'll lightly grind them with my Dremel tool and then put epoxy on them. JB -Weld dries to almost this dark if you don't sand it...

The glass layer, on the top, is like any Volkl of similar vintage.It's a crack in the upper glass layer. It's a harbinger, but, well away from the board's demise. Ride it, just watch/inspect as you go. It should be good-to-go for awhile. BUT, if you feel any 'corresponding' deformation in lower layers (such as side-wall cracks, or suddenly non-flat base areas, then park it.. The inserts themselves get stressed, and move fore/aft (twisting) when used with plates, or get pushed/pulled hard in carves, so that affects the upper/lower layers adversely. .Few Epoxies can be 'thin' enough to seal such cracks, and won't contribute much strength anyways. Just monitor this and IF they grow (the cracks), then reconsider. But, for now, Ride It!!   "PSR"

Thanks a lot Eric, and everyone!

Your comment "like any Volkl of similar vintage" got me to take a closer look at my much-ridden 182 of the same year -- and I discovered that it indeed also has a number of random cracks on the topsheet. But it has less cracks than the 192, which is supposed to be "unridden" (the 192 base looks original and has no scratches). On both boards, the cracks appear mostly to be random -- mostly not occurring at specific stress points.

So I'm thinking that the cracks in the 2000/01 vintage are not primarily related to stress/use, but more to age (and storage situation).  So you're right -- I should ride the board before it gets any older!!  ;-)

Regarding epoxy... You are probably right that it can't stop cracks from lengthening. But regarding the viscosity of epoxy, and getting it into cracks:  I met an interesting guy here in the Pfalz who was a Burton rep and team tuner at Burton's beginning here in Europe who gave a good tip on getting epoxy thin enough to seal relatively narrow cracks... My 2008/09 Tanker 200 has had a slight, narrow separation between the steel edge and the sidewall. He said to heat the epoxy to get it thin -- so I mixed it on a tin can lid, held it over a candle for a few seconds, and it did in fact become very thin!

Cheers,
David

• Like 2