Note to New Members ×

Thirst XC 171 WARP

Algunderfoot

Thirst XC 171 WARP?
Three straight days of relatively decent carving conditions have me giggling a bit, looking way better than I should this early in the season, and searching for more leg...as they are depleted. Mark and I worked on designing this model specifically for smaller resorts, to provide faster transitions, more CPR's (Carves Per Run), and essentially add several hundred feet of vertical to my local 700 foot hill. All I can say is that Mark nailed it! I did however need to relax a bit, stay neutral over the board and ease up on knee pressure as over steering this beauty will have you looking uphill, or face down in the snow in a heartbeat. Simply getting her up on edge is plenty of input, just fall in after her. The XC is a WARP design (Waist Abberated - Radius Proportioned) that is a stance specific feature (regular  / goofy) which aids in edge transition and calms ones body positioning, perfect for AARP / AMAC Members like me.
Now that we understand each other, its hard not to love the nimble, yet ridiculous edge hold and effortless transitions. Much like a Lamborghini, a gentle gas pedal is also required, this gal has more gitty-up than any board I own, or ridden quite frankly. The stability and quietness of this deck is also well beyond expectations, but the "dampness" I've  experienced with all my titanal boards is surpassed with the pop that can be unleashed at will. I'm easily able to carry and aggressively carve pitches that previously were just pastimes. I can't imagine a purpose built board more suited for providing oohs, aahs, and yes, giggles at smaller resorts. With the Wife watching all my fun, her Jones for a thirst board is reaching critical mass, but we have a SF 162 on order for her.

1210171046a_HDR.jpg

Edited by Algunderfoot
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Carvin' Marvin said:

It says you designed it for your smaller hills, but how do you think it would do with more vertical?  I ride a very turny style and I'm looking for something in the 170 range thats really exciting. 

Thanks AL

It does fine with more vertical.  I picked one up two weeks ago and have had it at Schweitzer and Mt. Hood Meadows, you can easily change the turn shape and there is no chatter at higher speeds.  It's also pretty good in fresh snow compared to many carving boards.  It looks like I'll be trying it out in slush next week.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I finally got the XC out on a day where I could see and the snow wasn't shiny today.  It is one nimble machine and it rails.  Much like the big brother "Superconductor", I can heel side dragging my butt, where other boards would send me back uphill or keep me on my butt, this one magically pops right back up ready to go into the next turn.  I also took it into some shin deep fresh and it did surprisingly well.  Overall another sweet ride. Thanks Mark!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The XC is slightly shorter, its capable of turns just as tight, but it a bit more firm, so more input is needed. The Superconductor does it all almost effortlessly, as you found. To be honest, the SF, fits my Ski Brule need best, and I love the SuperConductor and the 8R W, so the XC is somewhat redundant. Mark offered to take it in trade, so he has an XC for demo, in exchange for a new SF ?

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

I've had my hands on some Thirst boards for a couple of weeks. The XC is the one I've been riding the most. I've been using it on the steep narrow runs at Schweitzer . It's a great board for that. It's nimble and turny and it doesn't take a lot of room to get it moving uphill to control your speed. 

Todays conditions where as icy as it gets around here. Frozen corduroy. The board handled great. Most the time I couldn't believe it was working. I can see where someone back  east might like this board where the snow is firmer and the runs are shorter. You can really get in a groove making tight turns with this board. 

I'm going to get one for carving the steeps. 

• Like 2

On 3/19/2018 at 11:37 AM, Algunderfoot said:

The XC is slightly shorter, its capable of turns just as tight, but it a bit more firm, so more input is needed. The Superconductor does it all almost effortlessly, as you found. To be honest, the SF, fits my Ski Brule need best, and I love the SuperConductor and the 8R W, so the XC is somewhat redundant. Mark offered to take it in trade, so he has an XC for demo, in exchange for a new SF ?

So...Al, did you  decide to keep the XC?  Not so redundant after all? I was just talking to Mark and he was raving about how great it was on steep and narrow and how it will turn at a ridiculously low speed.

Thinking about a summer build. I think it might make sense :confused:  :eplus2: :biggthump :smashfrea. Seems each of these boards has a unique personality apart from the length and sidecut radius.

Mark knows darn well they are like potato chips where you can’t just have one. 

I started with the 8RW, where living in the northeast I’m dealing mostly with short narrow and densely populated trails. Not the ideal choice, but I travel often enough where I could justify it. And it’s not a bad northeast board either looking back at my log, I’ve ridden it 34 days of 51 here and almost exclusively when out west. I know even if I went with the Super, I’d still be longing for something short and turny on the days it’s imperative to ride defensively for survival. The XC just makes logical sense for me. If I had the Super, the SF would have been the next logical choice. But I know how this game ends. I’ll eventually have them all...

• Like 1

22 hours ago, bigwavedave said:

So...Al, did you  decide to keep the XC?  Not so redundant after all? I was just talking to Mark and he was raving about how great it was on steep and narrow and how it will turn at a ridiculously low speed.

Thinking about a summer build. I think it might make sense :confused:  :eplus2: :biggthump :smashfrea. Seems each of these boards has a unique personality apart from the length and sidecut radius.

Yup, Kept it! I went back to it several times this season, more so on harder Michigan Marble, or when the hill was busy. It does have it's own personality for sure. Since you are retired I think you will be needing a complete set! Including the PC when that's finished 😉

Talked to Mark just yesterday about a shorter board with a tighter radius that has the same characteristics as my Superconductor, an incredible board I must say, but something longer than 162.  Planting a seed for a 167/168 Miniconductor to fill the slot.

Just looking at the length numbers a 171 XC is not much different than a 175 Superconductor and 

On 3/19/2018 at 12:37 PM, Algunderfoot said:

but it a bit more firm, so more input is needed. 

makes me wonder if it is a flex rating or a XC characteristic. 

22 hours ago, Kneel said:

I know even if I went with the Super, I’d still be longing for something short and turny on the days it’s imperative to ride defensively for survival. 

Did you try a SF 162?

Can anyone give me the low down on the Thirst board models and their characteristics?

I'm looking at the website now but can't really get a good picture in my head of the offerings.

Edited by daveo

33 minutes ago, daveo said:

Can anyone give me the low down on the Thirst board models and their characteristics?

I'm looking at the website now but can't really get a good picture in my head of the offerings.

If you go to the "Boards" tab and click on the individual boards it has the specs listed.

The Superconductor is a 175 with 162 effective edge.

The XC is a 171 with a 156 effective edge.  

The SF is a 162 with 149.2 effective edge.

So, the Super is 4cm longer than the XC but has 6cm more effective edge.  The XC is 9cm longer than the SF with 6.8 more effective edge.

8R is 184.5 with a 171.2 effective edge.

So it's 9.5 cm longer than the Super with 9.8 more effective edge.

Then there is the X which is the new BX.  No specs posted yet but I got to ride one and it was a blast and floated through the chopped up powder.  I want Mark to build a 190-200cm of this one, it would be a "Tanker Killer".

• Like 1

On 4/2/2019 at 7:22 PM, Kneel said:

Mark knows darn well they are like potato chips where you can’t just have one. 

I started with the 8RW, .....

I know even if I went with the Super, I’d still be longing for something short and turny on the days it’s imperative to ride defensively for survival. The XC just makes logical sense for me. If I had the Super, the SF would have been the next logical choice. But I know how this game ends. I’ll eventually have them all...

Yeah, after talking to Mark and seeing these recent reviews of the XC , it sounds like it might be a nice fit between the Super and the SF. It sounds like it turns noticeably tighter than the Super, maybe more of a Mini Cooper compared to the sports coupe Superconductor.  I guess that would make the SF the go-kart and the 8rw the Cadillac ride with sports car handling.

When conditions are great and the hill is not too busy I'll find myself riding the 8rw all day. It's a big board that can turn surprisingly tight yet provides a very satisfying large smooth carve when driven easy. Very smooth.

I've probably spent the most time on the Super. It's length provides a smoother ride than the SF. It can open up and make a nice big carve across the  hill and yet can crank pretty tight turns on short notice. It's quite nimble. The turn size is pretty close to my 175 Rev which has an 11-12 scr.

I've ridden the SF the least, but really glad to have it when I wanted to keep my speed down with small SL size turns on ice or in really flat light or for a giggle when it gets crowded. It feels a lot like my old 163SG fullraceTitan , but I think I like more.

When it's icy these boards are fast and I find myself going for either the Super or SF to find a speed I'm comfortable with.

I've had so much fun riding all 3 boards all season and getting to know their different personalities, that I've pretty much decided to welcome another sibling into the quiver. I think the XC might be a nice addition.

On 4/3/2019 at 8:01 PM, Keenan said:

Then there is the X which is the new BX.  No specs posted yet but I got to ride one and it was a blast and floated through the chopped up powder.  I want Mark to build a 190-200cm of this one, it would be a "Tanker Killer".

Thinking the same thing! Maybe a little wider ~23 waist with a longer early rise nose, kinda like the new Tanker shape, just not that wide. Actually more like Shred's new Monster. Although I'd like something more like 185cm with same 11-ish scr.

The MCC edition Tanker Killer! The board I wished I had at MCC.

17 hours ago, Chouinard said:

Talked to Mark just yesterday about a shorter board with a tighter radius that has the same characteristics as my Superconductor, an incredible board I must say, but something longer than 162.  Planting a seed for a 167/168 Miniconductor to fill the slot.

Just looking at the length numbers a 171 XC is not much different than a 175 Superconductor and 

makes me wonder if it is a flex rating or a XC characteristic. 

Did you try a SF 162?

HA!  See, Mark?  The Miniconductor! That's what I told him I wanted, called it just that and he laughed at me.  He calls it the XC...

Have NOT ridden the SF.  Well I had an opportunity at MCC but there was so much of that pesky powder everywhere it would have been a waste of time. I also have a half dozen other boards in the 158-168cm range to sort through and didn't want to confuse myself even more. 

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Well here is my XC with some extra bling! Thanks @Kneel for giving me the idea! I've been considering getting Geckos, but the price:eek:, plus I'm usually fine riding until things get too chopped up and then just going home. But, I've been struggling with a knee injury since last year that is giving me pain when I hit any bump. So, I thought these are cheaper than a new knee and I can get them in 2 days. Worth it if they will keep me going through the season.

Had a good test today with 5-6" fluff over a crusty groom that got pretty chopped up quickly. I hardly felt a twinge of pain and still had a nice board feel.:biggthump Seems great so far. Plus, the Geckos match the color scheme of my board, which after all, is most important:cool:

IMG_3973.JPG.4cc21e54007ed2c44d96eae4da20db13.JPG

• Like 3

Yep.  They mute out that little bit of noise that fatigues us old guys by lunchtime and allows us to put in a full day.  I get it. 👍 The price is kinda crazy for what they are, but I get the market and understand what it takes to produce something like this.  I'm sure it's not part of his retirement portfolio...

@Kneel & @bigwavedave not trying to start the metal Vs non-metal debate (again), but would be interested to hear your thoughts on the Thirst dampness given you both now have tried with geckos? 

And to be clear, I really like the fact Mark has chosen not to use metal in his boards. 

Edited by Lurch