Note to New Members ×

up north

bigwavedave

1 hour ago, Algunderfoot said:

10" of wet snow over the last week and each snowfall was followed by rain and warm temps, making for intermittent "Michigan Marble" with islands of bulletproof ice, and lot's of lumps 😡

Hopefully it'll make a good base for mother Superior's gifts:1luvu:(fingers crossed) Looks like it's coming down pretty nice right now!

• 2 months later...

Giant's Ridge looks busy on the webcam today, must be spring break? Same at Lutsen and BigSnow, and it's snowing pretty good there in the U.P. on the backside of the storm. Lake Superior is still mostly frozen over, but that should change soon, then maybe the lake effect will turn back on when cold air returns. Spirit remains closed today due to the meltdown.

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...

Feb 7, 2021

The polar vortex has closed a number of hills.

Big Snow closed today. I wonder when was the last time that happened.

Spirit closed today. I was surprised they were open yesterday. We'll see if they open Wed.

Giant's Ridge is closed through Tuesday.

It was -23F this morning at my St Louis River hut. It's been several years since we've had sustained subzero temps day & night, but here we go. I think I'm gonna need more handwarmers. Will trade pandemic TP for handwarmers.

WNW winds not so good for lake effect for Big Snow (Indianhead), but the Porkies have reported about 2' over the past several days and the Keweenaw should get some all week.

Just about every hill was closed since Sunday and opened with reduced hours today and it looks like we're stuck in the polar vortex for another week.

There has been fairly persistent lake effect snow around the Keweenaw. I suspect there has been some in the Porcupine Mts too. Thinking of heading east for a couple of days in search of softer turns, and warmer winds off the big lake. Maybe Indianhead tomorrow and the Porkies on Friday. Never been to Mt Ripley. It's just 450" vert, but it's been snowing all week, 10" today, and it's still snowing. Could be fun.

13 hours ago, bigwavedave said:

Just about every hill was closed since Sunday and opened with reduced hours today and it looks like we're stuck in the polar vortex for another week.

There has been fairly persistent lake effect snow around the Keweenaw. I suspect there has been some in the Porcupine Mts too. Thinking of heading east for a couple of days in search of softer turns, and warmer winds off the big lake. Maybe Indianhead tomorrow and the Porkies on Friday. Never been to Mt Ripley. It's just 450" vert, but it's been snowing all week, 10" today, and it's still snowing. Could be fun.

buck has changed its operating hours from 2-7pm. as tempted as I might be to adjust my lunch break to 2pm and sneak out, its just not worth it. 

hope you're keeping warm in the tiny house. 

• Like 1