Note to New Members ×

Vancouver's Carvers' Diaries 2017/18

BlueB

Morning started at -10C or lower and groomed runs were in fantastic condition! You know the feeling when snow squeaks a bit under the board... To bad I was on the last day of my course and couldn't just go rip ;) 

It's snowing again now! After a little break, I'll go out again for a night ride, to watch/teach Andrea a bit - I didn't have time at all to ride with her during the course... 

We'll drive back home in the AM.... 

--- 

Edit: Just back from the night ride. It was awesome, -14C though. Andrea rocks and absorbs every information I give. 

Edited by BlueB

Today was the busiest that I've ever seen at Cypress- I was at the top parking lot by 8:15- and it was almost full.

By 10:00- all parking lots were completely full, all the way down to the Hollyburn overflow parking lot, and there were still cars on the Cypress road in a grand traffic jam.

I couldn't deal with the 20-25 minute waits at the Eagle or Lion's chairs, so I spent the morning on Raven's chair, or on Sky chair. Met up with CoB and his buddy Alden on the Raven side. Crazy Raven was in great shape.

The snow was bulletproof east coast ice with a light dusting of snowmachine blasted snow, enough to make it carvable if you were precise with your edge transitions.

I anticipated the snow conditions and brought a 186 Coiler World Cup Pure Race today, which rocked.

I also brought a Coiler 172 All Mountain, and planned to ride it in the afternoon, but had such speed and control on the Pure Race that I left the AM in the car and spent the afternoon ripping down Rainbow and Bowen face instead with the Pure Race board. Finally left the hill at 3:30, and it was still jam packed at the lifts.

Looking forward to seeing the 30cm dump of new snow in town tomorrow afternoon....

Edited by crucible

4 hours ago, crucible said:

Anybody heading up today to score some of that new North Shore 30cm fresh?

I'm laying the wax on my powder boards, will probably head out right after lunch.

Sorry you missed us, would've been great to have you there. Practically the whole gang was there. I'm sure BlueB will post a photo or two.

Family Day at Whistler, half price tickets! Caught early gondy and started out on Jersey. Made our way from Crystal slowly onto 7th where I guess all the tourists and families were. None of the other chairs were anywhere near as busy. Took peak to peak to Whistler to check out Symphony and settled on Emerald to cruise around. Made our way to the bottom early to beat the crowds and to grab Cow's ice cream and fruity tea. Oh, and to pick up a 162 Kessler! You guys are lame for not coming.

IMG_6620.jpg

IMG_6629.jpg

IMG_6643.jpg

IMG_6644.jpg

IMG_6654.jpg

IMG_6655.jpg

IMG_6662.jpg

Another pow day... First tracks down Trumpeter, Meteor, Black Fly... From 11am it was all bump riding. I love it, I must be some sort of masochist... 

Crew: Tony, Patrick, B 

Toys: Proto and Arbor D62. The later one I now ride at 30/9 (or is it maybe 12?), it works very well for freeriding. 

And yet another surprise pow morning! We were supposed to get only few cm overnight, but that turned into 12-15, with wind drift some spots were over the knees deep! 

Patrick and I trashed the stuff around Raven until about 11:15. At that stage the lineup just became something that I've never seen before.  

15190156285310.jpg.23f01dbe35e505bf3c586e3790a00a55.jpg

15190156416881.jpg.b6dbca337a5d7d8d86d379ca74c25549.jpg

After lunch we just rode  chop around Midway, the only chair without lineup... 

Wow, that line up for Raven chair is definitely ridiculous!

Maya and I were able to get up yesterday afternoon at 3PM, and the line ups were still bad on Lion and Eagle chair, but not like that. We were able to get good powder runs on Moons and Slash and the glades off of Sky Chair.

3 hours ago, crucible said:

Is it just me, or has the volume of cars and riders at Cypress been exceptionally busy this year? It seems like every time  we head up  now, it takes 20-30 minutes  to get a parking spot.

Probably just unlucky timing. The other day I was doing doughnuts in the empty overflow lots at around 2. Some drifty fun times without murdering my tires.

We had great quality of snow, last night! A bit bumped up, of course, but grippy and fast. I think it was actually getting better as the evening progressed and temps dropped... 

After a nice session with staff on the Rainbow, I went to the other side and hooked up with Nikita and Patrick for few runs. 

Toy: Coiler 169 fat AMT, the quiver killer 

Boys, I've got so much snow around the house, that I'm considering building a jump behind the house, with the run-up from my front yard! 

Or, how would be a jump from the roof, over the garage, with reverse slope landing in the driveway? 

Absolute madness on Cypress today. Lining up to get it, we were told Lions wasn't running and probably won't be for the rest of the day. So, buddy and I head over to Midway where the cats were still grooming at 10 past 9. They finally let us in and we poached all stuff in the area. Looking at the Eagle line up from Midway, it was at least a half an hour wait so we stayed on Midway and did laps in the park. Then even Midway and Easy Rider started getting busy. I called it a day at that point.

I've never seen so many people hiking up Bowen. It looked like an ant colony from afar. The things people do to get their fix.