Note to New Members ×

Vancouver's Carvers' Diaries 2017/18

BlueB

On 23/01/2018 at 4:58 PM, JetSpeed said:

I'm hopefully heading to Powder King to finish the season.

Maybe meet up with some people for a spring session outside Vancouver or the interior??

Vancouver crew normally riders at Whistler after the local hils close in April. 

Wow, over a foot of freshies in the am and pretty dry! Chairs somehow opened 15-20 minutes late and Sky not at all... 

I had first tracks down the Trumpeter, Hose Side, First Sun, Ridge Runner, Meteor... :) 

Later we had some freezing rain/rain, to change back to snow after lunch... The slopes changed to super heavy chopped gnar... We called it a day after lunch. 

Toy: ElDiablo 

Edited by BlueB

Morning started sunny, at least on the Lions. By lunch time it was snowing nicely! 

Slava had a lesson, after many years, we made good progress. Tried a new to him, softer board, too... 

My niece is here again, from Europe. She skis pretty well and refreshing her memory on snowboard, hard boots, of course ;) 

Tony and Gary spotted... 

10+ cm of fresh when I got there at night, plus around 5 more just before closing. Nice soft carvable snow. Trumpeter was ridable, so was Bowen. Finished off with laps on JJ and Windjammer. Not much of a crowd. All in all, a very good day.

Surprising how the proto can be just as turny as the MK in the right conditions.

15 hours ago, 1xsculler said:

Whistler, February 21 - 23, any chance of making a run with another hardbooter?

I may be persuaded to make a day trip depending on the Cypress conditions.

On 1/31/2018 at 7:43 AM, 1xsculler said:

Whistler, February 21 - 23, any chance of making a run with another hardbooter?

Hey folks,

Whistlerite checking in. I should be in town those days, at least the 21-22nd. I've been keeping off the alpine boards so far this season due to some old hip issues, but I could likely make it out for some turns if you guys would be willing to accept a soft-booter in your midst ...!

Ryan

40 minutes ago, Cousin of Beagle said:

With all this rain at Cypress, that may be it for the season!

Oh shush, we need a bit of positivity. The Weather Network says up to 14cm of snow over the next few days. Don't look at evil Alpine Forecasts, they even called for rain here, while we just had an unbelievable pow morning. 

4 hours ago, crucible said:

I love, love Silverstar!

I make it a point to stay up there whenever I’m in Vernon for work, since their hill has night skiing...check out the slackcountry stuff behind the hill if you get a chance...

Yeah, we rode the double blacks on that far side of the mountain, all morning! Some of the shootes are narrower then length of my board :eek: 

Lots of great frerriding for sure. But some of the traverses are huge.... 

Another pow morning! ;) 

We did lots of wild stuff, I crashed so much today, everything is hurting... My exploits included falling in a small tree well, crashing a jump landing in ungroomed snow in fog, and thumbling down a black mogul run, riding switch... 

1 hour ago, crucible said:

So the stories I have heard about CASI Level III instructors are true- they CAN fly!

Only once they start the process towards L4 ;) 

The day started dry and warm, moisture in the air made for excellent groomers! Then about 10 am someone turned the switch, and now by lunchtime, we have a full blast blizzard out there!