Note to New Members ×

Vancouver's Carvers' Diaries 2017/18

BlueB

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Wooohooo!  

From Cypress' site:

" Cypress Mountain Opens The Downhill Area For The 2017/18 Winter Season!

Cypress Mountain is pleased to announce we will be opening for skiing and snowboarding this Friday November 10, 2017.  This will be the 3rd earliest opening in our 33 year history.
 We received 30cm of fresh snow on Thursday November 1st followed by perfect temperatures to make snow. With our recently expanded State of the Art Snowmaking System, we have been making huge amounts of snow on the Eagle Express terrain. Since Friday, we have made the equivalent of 28 football fields with a foot of snow and will continue to blow snow 24 hours a day as the weather permits.
 The Downhill Area will be open from 9am to 4pm with the High Speed Eagle Express Quad Chair accessing Maelle Ricker’s ski run (Fork) with terrain for intermediate and advanced skiers and snowboarders, as well as Easy Rider Quad Chair accessing Runway ski run for beginners. The Skate Park (terrain park) will once again be open for opening day with 6 features to enjoy.  The Cypress Creek Grill and Gold Medal Café will be in operation and Crazy Raven Bar & Grill will open over the weekend.
 Opening Day Tickets will be 40% off."  

Saturday.

Conditions were hero corduroy with decent coverage on the 2010 Olympic™® Boarder-Cross run. Snow was cushy and fast. First couple of runs were best with very few people on the run. Two chairlifts were open, which is impressive considering the early-season opening. Mid-morning, it started dumping. Raven will be opening soon! The famous pulled-pork poutine was a familiar but satisfying treat during the lunch break.

IMG_20171111_093318 - mod.jpg

Maya and one of her buddies and I made it to opening day yesterday.

Since it was a pro-D day for all of the students in the Van school board, it was hella busy- cars were parked all the way to the overflow lots by 1100. 

Nice weather, icy runs until the sun softened up on upper and lower fork, but considering it’s the third earliest opening date in Cypress’s history, it was all good.

• 3 weeks later...

Quick copy/paste from that orher forum - my opening day, previous Sunday: 

I had my first on snow day yesterday and it was spectacular! 30 cm of fresh came down duringvthe day! Most of the people in the city though it was raining, so the crowd wasn't duge (for Sunday). Visibility was mostly good. 
I rode an old Arbor D66 in the AM and Dynastar 3800 169 in the PM, both set duck (with plates) for staff training purposes. I always surprise myself how wall this fan work with right bindings and hard boots.

Maya and I went up for 9 AM yesterday, and she went out with  just her friends on Saturday. 

Even with getting to the mountain at 0830, the parking lots were already filling up- by the time we left at 1130, the line ups were crazy- easily 2-300 people in the line up just waiting to buy TICKETS. Lots of carnage on the hill as it was very crowded and many sliders were pushing their capabilities, but not necessarily in decent ski shape yet- we saw 2-3 toboggan evacuations yesterday morning.

Talk about pent up demand! As Boris mentioned, snow conditions are good- not just good for this time of year, but GOOD. Night skiing started yesterday as well.

Snow guns are going full blast, and if the temperature stays cold, expect Rainbow chair to be opened by this weekend.