Note to New Members ×

It started in Muskegon...

Chouinard

Snurfers are being made by the same guy that makes Vew-Do Balance Boards, Bru Moscallero. He got the rights from my first snowboard 'Guru', Paul Graves (a 3 time Snurfer Champ, btw). Bru was my 1st PSIA Snowboard Examiner (Level 1) in '89. I started Snurfing in 5th grade, 1975, Paul got me on a Flite in '78, a Backhill in 1980, and to The Nationals in '82 (Team East), where I met Jack Smith, and got re-acquainted with Tom Sims (this time on snow, not at a skatepark out West). Vermont may be backwater, a bit slower paced than the rest, but, I do believe finding that Snurfer in the Barn, that was a defining moment for me. I put bindings (bike tubes), edges (L-angle Aluminum), and a pre-peg fiberglass base on that Snurfer in '78, and gave it to Paul in '94. Having guys like Paul and Bru nearby, I've never doubted the Roots of Snowboarding, because we were there, living it... Snurfer has a good home now, and the guy making them understands what he's got; Living History, a Legacy, and a really fun Ride!! Check 'em out, they're great fun, and the simplest form of Snowboard...  :cool:

Edited by Eric Brammer aka PSR

And, yet, the Fruit falls close by the Tree;; http://powderjets.com/about  Anyone [Mig?] want to get their Powdergun Experimental back? Or, maybe their pre-82 OP Swallowtail? 

Also, they do make full-on p-tex/metal edged boards; I saw them at Cannon Mt. (not a Mt. to be sneered at; It's Steep, Icy, and at times difficult to ride), and their crew was having a good time just romping around (testing stuff?). 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Eric Brammer aka PSR said:

Anyone [Mig?] want to get their Powdergun Experimental back?

I still have my Powdergun, but wouldn't dare to ride it now. I probably would break it in half... LOL!!! It is hanging in my living room wall now. I handle a Powderjet creation a couple of years back in a shop. It was closer to a Performer as it had the convex tail. And I was expecting a super flexy board, but it was actually pretty stiff when hand flexed (which doen't mean much anyway...).

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

Interesting how similar the Turkish style is to the "Bunker" built by a couple of Swedes in Cloquet, MN circa 1917. Also steam bent and using a trailing stick and rope off the nose. They have a couple of these "Bunkers" in the collection at the Ski & Snowboard museum in Vail, CO.

https://www.snowboarder.com/videos/the-very-first-snowboard/

• Like 1