Note to New Members ×

One day at Mammoth

rjnakata

First, park at Stump Alley and bring an all-mountain board. Cornice, Dave's Run, Scotty's, and the back side are super fun. Lapping stump alley in the morning with fresh groom on a free carve board is fun.  Then go to your car and get your all mountain stick and explore the mountain or runs listed above.  The Face from lift 3 can be fun. Sometimes the race courses to lookers right from Chair 1 are closed off to the general public, timing your return to them could prove to be a carving nirvana in the PM when everything else is chewed up and these runs are opened to the public.  Chair 9 and 25 are good in the spring and offer some good wide "open" terrain to explore.

Afterwards, head over to Roberto's for a duck and/or lobster taco with a margarita. 

• Like 2

On 4/9/2017 at 11:34 PM, breeseomatic said:

First, park at Stump Alley and bring an all-mountain board. Cornice, Dave's Run, Scotty's, and the back side are super fun. Lapping stump alley in the morning with fresh groom on a free carve board is fun.  Then go to your car and get your all mountain stick and explore the mountain or runs listed above.  The Face from lift 3 can be fun. Sometimes the race courses to lookers right from Chair 1 are closed off to the general public, timing your return to them could prove to be a carving nirvana in the PM when everything else is chewed up and these runs are opened to the public.  Chair 9 and 25 are good in the spring and offer some good wide "open" terrain to explore.

Afterwards, head over to Roberto's for a duck and/or lobster taco with a margarita. 

On 4/10/2017 at 3:45 PM, breeseomatic said:

Get there early, like 7:30-8:00 and you'll be a 45 second walk from the lift. There is a ticket window there too if you don't have a pass.

Thanks Breeseomatic, that was some solid advice.  We parked at Stump and it was more like 20 seconds to the lift/ticket booth.   The upper mountain was closed all day and 9 and 25 got closed in the afternoon, but not until we got some good runs in between the gusty winds.

One thing, I used to board at Tahoe's big resorts back in the 90's and I forgot that big resort vibe that's not present at June and Summit...not my favorite thing!  Lots of straightliners (skiers with fat skis and Olympic tucks) and spring breakers.  I got taken out by a kid 10 seconds into my first run from the top of Stump alley.  Nothing fatal, but jarring enough that patrol came over and checked me over.   There were a number of close calls during the day which also kept me on my toes. 

You were totally right about the "all mountain" board thing.  It's not really a carver's paradise but I ran with the MK all day and did ok.  An AM board with plates would have probably been better.  The runs were totally worked over by the end of the day.