Note to New Members ×

Heel bail blues

freshiesat9

It may just be me but I am having the hardest time making my heel bail stand up and get my boot in. Today I stood at the top of the lift for about 8 minutes trying to get my heel bail to line up before I actually unhooked my front boot to get a better angle and hold the bail in place. 

Is there an old timer's secret to getting into these things? 

I spend more time trying to clip in than I do riding.

Help Please!

Ugh.  I love my Cateks but had the same problem.   The solution?  Step-ins!

Assuming you do not want to step-in (you really do though) you can take off the heel pad and bend the two ends of the bail slightly (like 2-3 degrees) forward.  This creates a tension on the bail which makes it stay in place.  I did this and it made placing the heel much much easier.

But again...  Really.... Step-in.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

I know this thread is a couple of years old but im now having the same issue with the heel bail on a pair of TD3s. Apparently the bolt allowing the bail to swing is unable to be tightened.   When fitting the boots on a workbench, the heel of my deeluxe boot fits like a glove so im a bit weary of disassembling and bending the bail as JRAZZ notes above...i also dont quite get how to bend it forward.  Anybody have a different way to solve this?  Ive already lost a half day of riding.....it was post skiing with the kids, i swapped boots and then couldnt get my heel in.  I took it as a sign from god and had a few beers at lunch instead.  thanks in advance.  

I think the idea above is to bend the bail slightly so it's preloaded against the sole block.  i.e. make the two eyes sit closer together when sitting free than they would when they were installed.  This adds friction. 

The wavy washer is supposed to serve this function, but they are easily lost/forgotten.  I added a couple pieces of a very thick bag (softener salt bag, maybe?) between the shoulder lug and the sole block to accomplish the same thing.   I used a common hole punch to nibble the holes large enough to clear the lug shaft.  It wears out eventually, but it's easy to replace.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, soybomb said:

I know this thread is a couple of years old but im now having the same issue with the heel bail on a pair of TD3s. Apparently the bolt allowing the bail to swing is unable to be tightened.   

I have this problem too, it'll be too low to hook up so it's not "easy". As I reach down to pull it up more, I get more flexible to do it, so it gets easier. But I've found putting my boots in walk mode helps a -lot-. Making sure it's up high before trying to put the boot in and going a little more slow has also raised the chances it'll stay up for me too.

That's what I got, good luck!

I had the same problem with my toe bail on my TD3 SW SI's and this is my cheap bastard solution....

Road bike inner tube cut into 1/2 inch +/- width.  I usually get  14+ full days or more before they pop.  I carry a couple of spares on the hill.  Only had to replace 1 all of this season!

The additional rubber around the bail creates Zero difficulty getting in or out........but I feel it takes up any micro slop with the boot to binding interface ..and it enhances an already  snug fit!

When you have the two slices/pieces threaded together then thread it on the bail then pull the remaining loop all the way over and around the toe/heel Bail and the block ...and Presto!  No more fighting and losing time trying to get your bail back up!   

1.jpg.8a84bf201ef10d2a344f1c36bf5e40a0.jpg2.jpg.e60d245c5eb915670106c11e7a95d98b.jpg3A.jpg.ff90332782f4f16feeeaebd2ef9342bd.jpg4.jpg.92d4f272a59e7073e3812007f3e04245.jpg

Edited by barryj
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

My season is over but i was messing with this the other day....i ended up taking a length of old fly fishing line and wrapping it tightly to the side of this wavy washer.  The trick was to nudge it in there gently enough so that it was 100% on one side of the washer and not crossing over....that little bastard looks sharp and i didnt want to nick it up.    I then tightened it down and double knotted it at the bottom.  the friction seems to be enough to keep the bail up.  not sure how long it will last in cold temps but we shall see.  I will, however, be stealing several of my daughter's hair bands as a backup.  Thanks khoward.