Note to New Members ×

Vintage picture

Guest jeffnstefanie

Guest jeffnstefanie

I was putting this set of Thule Snowboard carriers up on ebay and I thougt the picture was funny. Check out the Neon and the old Burton with the boots, still on the board, on the car !

post-131-141842196145_thumb.jpg

Those aren't boots, those are the old Burton Flex bindings. They had an item on the back similar (in theory only) to the Raichle walk/ride thingamajig. It allowed you to choose the flex for the bindings. They would probably be good bindings for someone to use in boardercross as they have a third strap around the shin. I think they were most commonly found on the Burton Free snowboards from 1989.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane.....

Originally posted by RJ-PS

I think they were most commonly found on the Burton Free snowboards from 1989.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane.....

And damn good bindings at that! For softboots anyway. Made me believe I could live without hardboots for several years. btw, Free series was 1990. '89 was the Cruise. I wish there was still a 3-strap option out there. They'd be good on an all-mtn, bx, or powder board. I guess Flow is the closest thing now.

-Jack

Guest Todd Stewart

Just do what I did, drill two holes at the top of your highback and attach a new strap. The difference is night and day, no longer do my ankles feel like they're going to break every time I turn.

I used to run those 3 straps on my old PJ 7 Asym.Pink white and Black-> BADASS! My first carve Board. Someone stole it off the rack at Sugarbush back in '90. Then came the Rossi RAce 173 with Emery surf binders. What ever happened to Jean Nerva and Peter Bauer?

Originally posted by RJ-PS

Those aren't boots, those are the old Burton Flex bindings. They had an item on the back similar (in theory only) to the Raichle walk/ride thingamajig. It allowed you to choose the flex for the bindings.

Yeah, I still have a pair of my vintage 92 Flex binders with 3 straps and the latch to lock the highback. They continued to make them for a couple more years and even added padding to the inside of the highback! Good binding, but takes too long to do 3 straps top and bottom of the hill.

I remember a couple years back,when K2 was working on a similar concept that converted vibrations into electrical energy that was dissipated by their LED lights, to dampen the ride on skis and snowboards. Went over like a lead balloon!

Bauer has had some success racing boardercross and the Baker Banked Slalom, right through last year. His name has been clearly absent from FIS World Cup results sheets for the past few years, but I don't know if he's been racing at a lower level. If you search on his name at www.twsnow.com, there's many articles and event covers that mention him.

Nerva, I believe, pretty much removed himself entirely from anything having to do with hardboots or racing some time ago.

They should make a comeback and make another movie.

-Jack

Guest Pre School Rider

Todd mentioned adding a top strap to current bindings,and it indeed can be done.However,you want 'lock' the highback in an upright position.This is pretty easy to do,just t-nut an Alpha Clip onto the highback,and the ladder onto the heelcup of the binding.If you use the thinner,smaller toe strap parts,consider using two ladders/alpha clips to avoid sudden forward releases.You'll void the warrantee on most anyone's bindings doing this,but it works on a huge range of bindings out there.Ever notice that Burton bindings had that metal latch on several models (like the Mission GT for Example) ? It's not needed for anything,UNLESS you just happen to want to put a 3rd strap on the binding.I've seen guys from the Factory doing exactly that,which makes me think that maybe Jake didn't quite give up on carving as quickly as the marketplace...

retro ?:rolleyes: The safari was the holy grail. How about the purple burton pants with the matching burton disco jacket with the sideways zipper ? I had the sorel shells RETRO fitted with my old Technica ski boot bladders and some duct tape, but "traded" up with Andy Coghlan at the boarding house in burlington,VT. you rock Chris!