Note to New Members ×

Beast 2017

Bobby Buggs

Condition report: well, they're making snow nonstop. It's needed to cover some thin patches. The grooming brought up some golf-ball- to fist-size rocks and exposed some rocky dirt patches. Those should be gone tomorrow, I'd guess.

The 40+ mph gusts of wind plus the snowmaking and patchiness made it really rough today. Drifts of manmade snow (feels like fine sand) some places, ice or dirt others, hard to see which is which...

Without the gusts and with more snow and a grooming, could be really nice tomorrow!

Im breaking out my old 2004 Coiler glass all mountain that found its way back to me this winter. Its pretty beat so if I find some of those rocks I wont be too bummed. Im also gonna have a Prior WC metal 172 to try out. Probably wont bring any of my usual boards. If they can keep the coverage I may try next weekend too, If Im in Mass what else is there to do

Edited by Bobby Buggs

4 hours ago, teach said:

Condition report: well, they're making snow nonstop. It's needed to cover some thin patches. The grooming brought up some golf-ball- to fist-size rocks and exposed some rocky dirt patches. Those should be gone tomorrow, I'd guess.

Thanks for the report, I think I'll pass.  Bobby, let us know if there's any improvement.  

4 hours ago, WhiteHorse said:

Thanks for the report. I'm planning to be there next Sat. Are you?

Brian, Saturday sounds good to me! :biggthump  Anyone else?

Forecast is for rain and warm midweek, so next Saturday may not be better than tomorrow. Not much chance for further snowmaking other than tomorrow night/Monday morning. My fingers are crossed.

If there's a reasonable chance of rideable conditions, I'll be back next weekend.

Got a lot covered overnight. No more rocks or dirt patches. Just some uneven spots, "whales" (snowmaking piles waiting to be spread out) and frozen ungroomed day-old manmade. It got a lot better as the day went on. Much better. Looks good for next weekend.

9 hours ago, WhiteHorse said:

Ohh... Sat very cold.  Sunday does look a lot better!  

I was hoping to go to Stratton on Sunday.  It's a CT Ski Council discount day.  But it would be great to have a mini Rally on Sunday!  

I'm ignoring comments about the cold... except to say that last weekend at Bretton Woods it was -16 at the top of Rosebrook and it was awesome.  Bring a face mask and cover up.

I'm trying to decide if I do BEast both days or go to Stratton one day.  I think Sunday could be better for BEast.  Saturday will probably be good either day at Stratton.  Also meeting a friend coming from Albany at Berkshire East and Sunday is better for him.  Plus, I don't want to miss Bobby. 

If anyone is there this week, especially Thursday or Friday, would really appreciate an update on conditions!

On 3/7/2017 at 5:52 PM, pow4ever said:

watching this with great interest :-)
Anyone want to carpool from "Wrong Island"? lol...

David, I'd love to ride with you.  Still bummed I wasn't able to make it to the Loaf with you guys.  I can't help with carpooling all the way from the Island, but I could offer a place to stay Saturday night if you want to come to Beast both days or Stratton Saturday and Beast Sunday.  Peterborough, NH is about 90 minutes from both Berkshire East and Stratton in Southwestern NH near Keene on VT-NH line.  Call or email if interested.

Edited by lafcadio
  • Like 1

Thank you Mike and Bobby for the thoughtful offer!!
I really do appreciated it.

It's such a "first world" problem to have; i am torn between going boarding with you fine folks or catch up on some work/study.
Temperature is going to drop so it should be great but i have a stack of "to do" /cry.

I was there today and it was sketchy. Primary surface was frozen loose sugar laced with death cookies. Followed closely by ungroomed piles of fresh artificial snow waiting to be pushed out (most evident on Outback and connecting trails).    

On the plus side ice was minimal and snow guns were blasting. 

I'm hoping the those piles will be pushed out and groomed for tomorrow. Competition, Big Chief, and Exhibition all had good cover. 

See ya'll there in the morning! 

4 hours ago, teach said:

How was it today? Would have been great to see all the carvers out. Hoping for next weekend. Good to hear snowmaking is continuing, and finally some cooperating weather.

Much better than yesterday.  Conditions were pretty good for carving and it was warmer than yesterday.  Good cover on the trails which were open.  Still blowing snow and more on the way!  

58 minutes ago, Bobby Buggs said:

It was a bit firmer than last weekend but it was still a good time. 

It was a super good time! Snow and weather was great.  Carving with friends... priceless.