Note to New Members ×

Looking for some better gear

Kolton

I'm new to hard boots and have been competing USASA boys breaker division on a regular all mountain Never Summer board with some success but need to make the switch to be competitive. I'm looking for any help I can get, not sure where to start . I have an old Oxygen Proton 149 with Burton Plates my dad bought off ebay, using with regular ski boots ( he knows nothing about this stuff but is trying to help). I'm 13 5'4" and weigh about 110lbs. Not a much of a budget to work with..... Help!

Kolton, that's a good start, though the boots are probably the most important part here. The board, it's a good size match, but is a spring-board, stores huge energy, and will be Fast, IF you figure it out. You may want to keep looking, but try the board out, knowing you've got only 2-3 seasons before you'll outgrow it entirely . De-tune (have a shop do this if you're unsure how to) the tip/tail edges by -1 degree, about 2cm, maybe 3cm, just to let it have a little 'play' before coming onto edge hard. It's a high-camber board, so it's where the board (from flat, but then up onto edge) makes contact first that's in need of refinement IF it is too edgy, or grabs too early. Keep your eyes open for a Hot Shine or Blast(soft, blue, not red), Burton FP/later Alp/Addiction or Nidecker, in similar sizing, but perhaps up to 10-15 CM longer, as long as the flex is within your weight range.

Your choice of bindings should be fine, Ibex/Burton plates are solid enough.Canting/heel lift on Burton Plates is usually done with a wedge/cant under the whole binding. One under the rear foot will boost your speed at the end of turns. Boots, I can't say, as I don't know what you're on, nor sizing. That's something to get dialed in if possible. This forum and the group around it are a great resource, so don't be shy. 

Edited by Eric Brammer aka PSR

Hi Kolton,

I have a Burton Alp 169 that was gifted to me that I have to reason to hold onto.  I will gladly let you have it if you pay the shipping.  Its in good shape save some rust issues on the edges.  PSR, would this be a good starting point for a young racer?  I think it is 20-21cm wide.

Edit :Correction on the Alp size.  Thought it was a 164.  Probably too big to start on at your weight.

Edited by kiteparsons