Note to New Members ×

Sixth Sense Boots

jacopodotti

hinge position high and back:biggthump mid buckle of 3 pulling the heel back into the pocket:biggthump BTS for tuneable flex:biggthump heel ledge recessed without being under the arch of the foot creating ridiculous ramp angle:biggthump possibility of existing stepin heels?:biggthump

carbon over lap lower shell ultra stiff, expensive and hard to get in and out of :freak3: should be great for racers

upz and deeluxe should be shaking in their boots:boxing_sm

I should buy some 225s for free riding before they go under and there's nothing but stiff raceboots on the market

Edited by b0ardski
  • Like 1

At the moment no stepin solution.

Getting in is easyer than a normal UPZ, never tried the new thongues.

We have tested without the thongue and the spring and you can easly flex back and forward. Different thongues and springs are in project.

The high stability of the lower shell hold so well the foot that you can ride with the upper buckles loose

• Like 2

So, when I posted awhile back (this summer/fall?) about Dodge Boots in VT using a carbon-wrap chassis that's molded in 3-D per their own specs for Ski Boots, I see that they were behind by 6-7 years, if development lead-time is correct. Sorry, I figured R+D, plus 3-D Cad/Cam would make the design to finish a bit quicker. Still, very nice to see! My version would've borrowed less from the Northwave, but that's o.k., as the NW was the 'best' for racers. Freecarve/freeriders may need some tweaks at the cuff/forward-lean,  but nothing that's beyond the already known 'kit-bag' for ankle articulation/support. Climbing off piste seems then to be the real loser, or, perhaps, drunken stability on a wet barfloor after hours! Oops, I hate it when the Dunkel goes overboard!!

Queequeg

Sorry but Andrej asked me not to publish close up.

You now, a lot of special work was made.

Eric

Yes the first part could be easyer with new tecnology, but after that you have to ride, ride and ride again to find the right way for everything.

More than 20 mods for one boot are needed.

• Like 1

So, what are they going to do about performance custom fit? Plastic boots you can punch or grind. That is not the case with carbon. Have they figured out a way to do a custom layup for feet that are out of standard? 

I guess another way would be to have a layer of high density foam inside of the carbon shell, that cold be ground if needed... 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, philw said:

Bring them on. I'm bored with riding 20 year old designs, and I can afford some shiny new ones as hard boots last forever..

I already am looking at these for freeride (https://pierregignoux.fr/en/produit/black-snowboard/) and am ready to embrace newer tech. Sixth-Sense or the new northwave should be a big improvement in an market that has stagnated. I am particularly excited for a truly NEW take on a snowboard boot. The advances in ski boot tech particularly in the AT variety it is substantial. Lighter weight, better fit and a walking mode that makes you wonder about just wearing your boots to the restaurant/bar afterwards. I hope that  both the new northwave and these will consider a lever lock or other mechanism for their BTS so a real walking mode is possible. Some of us have to hike a bit through the parking lot or on the hill.  (that can be exciting with UPZ and Fintech heels). Also a spring system that is lower profile would help. There are a number of ways this could be done - I was hopefull this would come to market as a mod for existing boots but it would be awesome to see something like this done OEM. http://www.extremecarving.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=11201

PierreGignouxProduitsWeb_0004s_0024_Black-snowboard-Profil-gauche-510x510.jpg

1ec.JPG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, neanderthal said:

1ec.JPG

If the spring system those yellow boots works the way I think it does: this is the smartest approach to this problem I have seen so far. All of the spring systems offered so far seem to have the same problem: way too much bulk, and the post tends to bend because it is too long and protrudes from the top in an unstable fashion. Also it is easy to get snagged underneath the chairlift seat when you sit down/get up ... which leads to it getting bent or being stuck to the chair by your boots. 

Ah — I see: it does work (somewhat) like I suspected.  

file.php?id=7712

I think I am going to wait until the Northwaves come out to decide about a boot. But otherwise: I think my plan going forward is to give up on stepin bindings and find the most suitable ski-boot I can find and modify to suit. My UPZ's work pretty well but they could definitely be better.

Edited by queequeg

5 hours ago, BlueB said:

So, what are they going to do about performance custom fit? Plastic boots you can punch or grind. That is not the case with carbon. Have they figured out a way to do a custom layup for feet that are out of standard? 

I guess another way would be to have a layer of high density foam inside of the carbon shell, that cold be ground if needed... 

Never heard about someone punching or gridding a pair of Northwave, in any case injected liners could be the answer.

46 minutes ago, jacopodotti said:

Never heard about someone punching or gridding a pair of Northwave, in any case injected liners could be the answer.

I wouldn't either if I paid 4000 for a pair ;) 

No really, for the people with bone spurs or bunions, the punching is sometimes the only option. Likewise for one's with disproportionately wide feet, or very wide front and skinny heel. Even without the anomalies, performance comes from good shell fit, the liner is fine tuning. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jacopodotti said:

I expect this has more to do with the economics of the Northwave situation than anything else. Either that or they're wide throughhout.