Note to New Members ×

Coffee Mill || 2017

MNSurfer

It was fun bumping into some of y'all at Afton, on NYE. It sounded like there was a contingent going to Welch, the next day. I decided to hit-up the Mill, as it's 1/3 the distance.

Gotta love the Mill. You can count the cars in the parking lot, and the lifts never stop. The sun barely gets in there, so anything that falls, stays. So the snow was good, and anyone who's been the Coffee knows they take pride in their grooming, which is deep and luscious. The narrower runs keep you on your toes, and always working. There's only really 3 runs (of the what, 14?) that a guy would call 'carving' runs, but hey, their all yours.

A nice way to kick-off the year, indeed.

WP_20170101_10_12_51_Pro.jpg

WP_20170101_10_18_12_Pro.jpg

• Like 1

It's not for sale, that I'm aware of, which isn't saying much. How much were they asking?

I do know that they didn't even open last year, due to no ice falling from the sky. It seems like they only have a couple, older, snow guns. It's a tough business, for sure.

35 minutes ago, MNSurfer said:

...And Steeplechase.

That must have been the one for sale, looks like someone bought it somewhat recently. I remember seeing a sign with skier on it that said "Steeplechase" I didn't know there was an actual ski hill in Mazeppa and I've race my dirt bike down in that area a lot.

Edited by DonPablo

• 1 year later...

Gotta love the 'Mill. Even though there's only 3 good carving runs, you have them all to yourself. I've come to like the extra 100' vertical you get over Afton, Welch, or Buck; A few extra turns is quite nice. Always something fresh being grilled outside, and you never wait for a lift.

Just looking at the Afton cam, there's a dozen in the Bowl, and 30+ at the Bunny.  I love the 'Mill.

WP_20180120_10_14_49_Pro.jpg

WP_20180120_10_18_19_Pro.jpg

• Like 1

Bummer. That happened right after I left (because of a somewhat decent digger). Given that there weren't that many people there, I probably saw her at some point. The article doesn't say anything about a helmet, but based on what I saw, if you were wearing a helmet, you were in the very small minority. Out of the (roughly) 40 people that were out, my guess is that only 5 or 6 of us had helmets.

I've only had a few serious falls, in the last several years, and a disproportionate number of them have been at Coffee Mill. The runs are tight, and can be kind of roll-y. Not like the wide-open faces at other local MN hills. A guy's got to keep on his toes.  

• 1 year later...

Another great day at the 'Mill. Empty (at least till 1:00), luscious groom, and chicken on the outdoor grill. I really love this place. The staff is as friendly as it gets, no one is agro, and you never have to look uphill.

After 2-hours of ripping apart Run of the Mill, I felt a bit guilty of making a mess of the place.

WP_20190216_10_08_17_Pro.jpg

WP_20190216_10_31_43_Pro.jpg

WP_20190216_11_18_05_Pro.jpg

• 1 year later...

A fantastic couple of days, at the old 'Mill. Just a ton of snow. The groom was so thick, you could really put the screws to it. Though that also means it got banged-up pretty quickly. 

While it was arseholes-to-elbows at other local places, this Saturday, it was mostly me an the ski patrol, at Coffee. Perfect.

IMG_20200216_110446.jpg.c0388943513f1467bb0849018542913c.jpgIMG_20200216_100335.jpg.6a2358a9d2d6f585e1fc2dac138c18b1.jpg