Note to New Members ×

Whitetail / Liberty 2016-17

piusthedrcarve

It's the time again folks,

Whitetail & Liberty are finally opened today and season begins.   I wasn't able to go today but probably early next week I will.

ihop.jpg?itok=_sjhgvaZ

southpole.jpg?74049111

Please share here if you are gonna ride so that we can ride together. 

I will be going up to WT with kids on every Thursday night in Jan. and early Feb.  I plan to visit Liberty also this season.

As always, I have few boards and bindings that I can bring with me. So hit me if you want to try out something new (Dave!!  shorter board!!) or want to learn.

12/22 

I packed and left home early in the morning to Liberty. While I was on a call at wheels, I noticed I was alreay at Clear Spring exit. so rode at WT instead. 

It was 36'F when I got there. Snow was soft but not many people were there  Snowpark, Fanciful, Exhibition were opened so crowd could distribute  Breeze helped to take moisture out. Grooming was terrible but ridge between groom was not considerable due to soft condition.  Photo is from Exhibition  I noticed my 7 yrs old got face planted  

Fun day I had with kids. Rode till 6 pm. Pushed more than my comfort zone and had few wipe-outs. I got more than enuff exercise.  It was good first day of the season. 

IMG_7158.JPG

tyinusn,  Have you gone up on Monday?  With recent warm weather, I will probably go up first week of January, if they make some snow. I saw pipe under Limelight was malfunctioning last time. It may takes a while to have snow on Limelight and Snow Dancer.  Let me know the condition if you were there on Monday. Cheer.  

• 2 weeks later...

1/8/2017

NC and Southern VA got almost a foot of snow but us? <1".  But at least, it has been cold enough to make our resorts blast snow guns for last few days.  

I went up Liberty for night riding.  They must had a lot of people today.  Most of blue/black trails were tracked and became bumps pretty much. But snow was squeaky good so It was enjoyable.  Snow guns were blasting on Sidewinder, the trail goes thru most of black/blue trails on backside, and most of mogul (knee high) runs. My favorite, White Lighting were not opened yet so stayed mostly in backside.  A lot of labs on Heavenly, Lower Ultra, Witney's way.    Since it was last minute decision, I just grabbed a board that has bindings already installed and went, without much thinking. It happened to be Pogo which shines at high speed.  Around 9, I was able to unleash the beast and was surprised how smooth it rides on the given condition.  Too cold to pull out phone to take photos   :)

Next one will be coming Thursday night at WT.   

WT has been blowing snow like mad.  Very good conditions on Sunday with dry and powdery snow over the groomed pack.  Monday is looking even better with 2 more runs opening and more snow from 24 hours of frigid conditions.  There was one hardbooter in an orange parka but I wasn't able to catch him during the day.

I will be on the mountain all day Monday, Wed, and Thursday this week if anyone gets up I would like to talk carving.

Tyler

540- eight five oh - 6391

I was at Snowshoe last week and the snow was awesome.  A nice layer of pow over the hard-pack and it even piled up in places.  it was only my 3rd time on hard boots and I really felt my carves starting to take shape.

I am originally from NC but I recently moved to Baltimore.  I would like to try riding at WT or Liberty sometime this season.  Please let me know if anyone plans on a late January weekend trip. I'd like to meet some fellow riders and hopefully progress!

Welcome!

It's not that different from NC here.  Probably 99.99% of men-snow with less than a minute to ride from top to bottom.

yeah, I will post here when I go up.  Others will do that too. (hope) and expect you to do the same thing so that we can ride together.

BTW, I'm going up tonight, while Temp. hits 65'F. 

01/12/17

Just came back from WT. I rode from 5:30 to 9:30. Half hour break to check on kids. Other than that, rode continuously and hard.

When I got there, it was 65'F and started to rain from 8. I assumed it's going to be slush but instead, it 3 layers: ice below, 1/2" loose granular on top of it, and melted water & rain on top of it. As I said, I rode hard but only able to make little over 1/2" pencil line. When it started to rain, it got faster and scared me few times. Few yellow spots were shown and became frozen on pretty much every trails. I still don't know the snow condition at +60 degree. 

Snow Park:

IMG_7216.JPG

Limelight:

IMG_7217.JPG

Exhibition:

IMG_7218 2.JPG

Around 8:40, I rode Limelight with my daughter.  I showed her how to ride on icy condition. I tried to finish each turn to take speed off.  At about 1/3 from the top, toe side edge didn't let go.   I think I didn't commit fully for next heelside turn and hesitated.  I went off the trail and ended up few tumbles into the mud and rocks.  Luckily, I was able to walk out in one piece but took some hard hit on my back and side.  Totally covered with mud.  When I got down, ski patrols approached and told me they sent Toboggan down.  Someone from chair must have seen the crash and reported to patrol.  Oh well.  at least, my daughter learned valuable lesson.  I cleaned off muds and checked board and bindings.  They were fine.  So I took easy on next few runs on SnowPark and Sidewinder with kids until 9:30 and called it.  

Hope body heels up before next Thursday. 

1/19/17

The whole mtn was covered with crusty sand.  If pushed hard, more than half width of board digged. After 8, snow got little crunchier and hold edge better. Coverage is still ok but at least brown / thin spots on every trail.  Out of blue runs, I liked 'Fanciful' most. Just one thin spot with much less traffic, which preserved carveable condition better than others. 

As forecasted, if we get a lot of rain coming Sunday and Monday with warm weather, few trails won't be opened.  I am sick of riding rock boards still. This season really blows....

1/29 Ride Report (Whitetail).

I got up there on the later side (~11 AM). I didn't see any evidence of "packed powder," as their website said. Additionally, at least several of the trails had significant exposure (resulting in only 2/3 of the trail width being accessible). After taking 2 falls (1 of which I hit my head pretty good), I decided to not even bother trying to ride the carving board. I went back to Guest Services and was able to get a 50% credit (though they can't guarantee that SRT or Liberty would accept it, which is somewhat silly, as all 3 are owned by the same company). I've never been so disappointed in Whitetail. I can understand the conditions are bad, and I figured it was a gamble, but there isn't any excuse to be less than 100% truthful on their daily conditions report. Additionally, charging the same full price for these conditions is starting to really wear on me - and they raised their price of an all day rental to $8 (from 5). On the positive side, they appear to have made some significant renovations / additions to their lodges and food accommodations. 

Thanks FTA2R,

It's ridiculous to see 'Packed Powder' with + 40'F degrees for 3 weeks.  26-28" base?  What a joke.  At least Liberty is true about it. 

WT:

Screen Shot 2017-02-02 at 1.11.40 PM.png

Liberty:

Screen Shot 2017-02-02 at 1.11.50 PM.png

I don't know about being positive on new restaurant.  We were able to use South Wing (where StarBuck is at) to sit around and change but not any more.

I and Dave (Davekempmeister) once talked about going to WISP instead, few years back.  But, WISP is doing bad last 2-3 years after managed by Pacific Group Resort, Inc.  Timberline may go out of business next few years.  Luckily, Cannan Valley expanded snowmaking equipments and upgraded many amenities with great price.  I took few trips to Cannan & Timberline last few seasons.  This year summer, Corridor H, US 48, finished the construction up to Davis.  It takes 2 hours 30 min. from Northern Virginia, which is about 40 min. more than WT.  But I'm seriously thinking about going there regularly. 

Well.. enough of my rant.

I will be at WT tonight 5-10, with extra board & bindings.  

Edited by piusthedrcarve

Pius,

wait a sec......Canaan Valley is now a 2.5 hr drive from NoVA??!  If so, that is Yuuge!  lol.  Haven't done that drive in years, but it was not an easy drive (granted, I did it at night) through the mountains and was at least a few hours.  Where in NOVA are you?

I'm headed to Vermont tomorrow, so no 'Tail this weekend.

SRT is my favorite local resort (and they have a hardboot race team), but it's a 2 - 2.5 hr drive.

2/2/2017 Ride Report

I met Matthew and rode together til 8:20. Death cookies and crunch icy bumps everywhere. They turned on snow guns around 7.  It covered all right but all trails were quickly turned into sticky. I brought an extra board that hasn't been waxed and literally stopped

Stayed SnowPark and Sidewinder mostly. When my kids got out from Nitetrailers program, we went up and rode Upper & Lower Angel.  HomeRun was closed due to few thin spots  

No lift line. Much less crowd than previous Thursday nights. 

Coming weekend will have good condition but at the same time, more ppls will show up.  Next riding will be next Thursday night. 

Edited by piusthedrcarve

2/9/2017 Ride Report

As Matthew said, SnowPark & Sidewinder were ice links. It wasn't just east coast icy condition, literally ice for few hundred feet, top to about halfway. IMG_7248.JPG

Strong wind gusts cleared any stuff on top.   From 7, those trails got totally empty.  Few teenagers were intentionally sliding on their back for fun.  I rode 3 times and every time it gotten worse.   Snow guns were on for bottom half. 

After Matthew departed, I went up blue & black trails.  All snow guns were on (they were on for good 5-6 hours).  With Temp. at low 20s, they made good 4-5" powder.  Among those, Fanciful was the best.  Limelight had few spots that didn't get covered were icy.  Little scary going down fast with bad visibility.  From 9 to 10, Fanciful was I and my kids' playground.  Time to time ski patrols came down but hardly anyone was there.  Terrain Park was also good so most of snowboarders and teens were there. 

Another day of confirming SG FR 163 is a quiver killer.