Note to New Members ×

We had pretty crappy snow today, some sort of slush over ice and crud, in the am. It snowed lightly (and wet) through the day, so the conditions kinda improved a bit for freeriding, but not for carving. It's going to continue snowing through the night, so it might be better tomorrow. 

Today's crew: Patrick, Tony, B. 

Patrick was trying my Loony and me his Madd 170. I gave up after 3 runs and went onto wider boards to fool around, rather then full-on carve... 

My runs down First Sun, Bowen Face and other mogul fields, were pure disaster... Very compact with some crunch on top... Yuck. However, I quite enjoyed the park. 

I witnessed a most bizarre collision, just before view point on Panorama. A snowboarder, sitting down after a fall, got hit / overrun by 2 skiers! I'm not too sure if they hit each other before hitting the snowboarder? One actually managed to thread the ski right between his legs, where the ski released and stayed, while the guy tumbled another 15m. The other skier went over snowboarders hand and took his glove in the process. Luckily the guy had some sort of wrist guards under! Amazingly, the entire thing ended without breakages or cuts, just bruises and sore limbs... I offered to call the patrol, but everyone declined... 

Way better then yesterday! This was actually a real pow day and it got progressively better as the day went buy. Very small crown in the am and almost none after lunch! Weekend? Hard to believe! Although, I must say the vis sucked from 1pm and on. 

Crew: Tony, Patrick, B, Bob with wife and apparently Dave from US! 

Toy: Proto :) 

Yup, I was there. Looks like NS is being spellchecked to US. Sad. 

I had a few runs with Patrick & a good chat in the lodge (thanks again for the OJ, Patrick!) then went up to Sky chair for the softest snow & the trees.  Bailed at 2 pm to catch my flight home. Sorry I didn't see more BOLers, but frankly it was pretty cool to see a guy in hardboots at the top of a run and say "Patrick?", to which he replied "Dave?"  Not the reason I got into the sport, but one of the best things about it, for sure. 

The weekend snow stopped only early this morning. You've got an idea what was awaiting the few of us who rode today ;)  

I saw Rod, but had to stick with instructors training group. We rode all sorts of steeps, bumps and trees, Top Gun included. 

14876427181781.jpg.ee9c90f37aa2a48ba9c2090717183439.jpg

Proto performed like a star. I also tried a little Burton E-deck 156, that I had kicking around hut, but someone else finally returned the bindings... I was surprised that board performed pretty well even without proper wax/tune. It will probably be a hoot in steepest largest moguls... 

Nice hard pack on the flatter runs, crusty and crumbly on the Rainbow... Sub zero temps, yet it felt hot in the sun. Couple of light snow showers also came down... very silly weather... 

I saw Slava, after many years, practicing alpine again, on the Easy Rider. He's struggling a bit... On closer inspection, I saw the front toe lift shim mistakenly placed under the heal! 

After I finished the instructor session, I jumped onto the edeck again, which I tuned last night. Oh horror, I overdid the edges (no nose/tail detune) - board was almost impossible to slide! I never thought I'd complain about my edges being too sharp ;) 

On February 23, 2017 at 1:42 PM, charliechocolate said:

@MacSkiddin

It was a pleasure running into you (rather, you into me) and sharing a couple of runs the other day. I just hope the fog didn't put you off too much from riding Cypress in the future.

No worries about fog. Just another learning opportunity and a reason to go into the trees. Thanks again for the advice on going to Whistler too. 

I brought Luka to Grouse this morning, for a ski race. Conditions were awesome first 1.5 hr! After that, it turned into push piles and ice in between. Some narrow and busy spots turned into solid blue slabs. Also the morning was sunny, then fog started rolling in and out, randomly... 

Toys: Madd 170 and Proto. 

I still get vertigo in foggy conditions :( 

Grouse, day 2 

Same scenario as yesterday, gorgeous snow in the am, then bumps and some ice... Brought only the Proto... and clear gogs (overcast in the am), then sure enough, sun came out! 

I had a crazy collision/fall. Carving switch, I went away, on toe edge, from a slow skier lady. Unfortunately, she followed me and when I changed back to heel, entangled the skis/board with  her. She double ejected and pretty much stayed there, while I went into some sort of backwards cartwheel, and flew about 10m down the slope, hitting my head in the process. It "rang" for few seconds... no signs of concussion now, about 4 hrs later... 

Luka raced so lazily, as if he was on a little Panorama cruise :) 

I think it was my day No50 today! :) 

Cloud was clinging pretty low to the mountain, but just high enough for OK visibility. It snowed all morning, lightly, there was way more accumulation then forecasted.  Probably about 5cm or so... 

It was an all mountain session with instructors, so I brought only the Proto. 

I have a bit of headache from yesterday's hit... 

Lots of pow coming our way :) probably the most on Thursday. 

We had a great session yesterday morning! Fresh snow, about 15-20cm over 24hrs of piste, packed pow on groomers. Good visibility too. 

Heading out tonight again for another staff session. It might be very deep, or might be a flood at lodge elevation. We'll see... 

Packed pow this morning and sunshine... Pretty soon it turned into bumpy and icy mess. Crowd got big too. I guess the demo day brought some extra visitors. 

Crew: Gary, Roy, Pierre, Patrick, Tony, B and we saw Slava too... 

I demoed the Ride Timeless 162, for one run only, late in the day. It's way too wide for my hard boots, but is an excellent board - it rails! 

Whole crew was already gone, while I had to go pick Luka after his ski training, when some sort of organized carving contest started on lower Rainbow! Looked pretty bad for our standards, but I couldn't join in.... 

I woke up to 10cm of snow on my driveway! Right on! Grabbed the Tanker and Proto of the rack and off to the hill :) 

Funny enough, it snowed a bit less at Cypress, overnight. However, it carried on right through the day, heaviest between 1 and 2pm. At that moment the tracks at Sky chair were getting covered from one lap to another! There were not too many people either, especially on Sky!? 

Patrick and I spent most of the morning under Lions and Sky chairs. Tony rode with his windsurfing crew. 

In the pm I was on my own and explored a bit more. Around Raven chair it felt like a completely different mountain, so I eventually ended at Sky again. I dare to say, it was even better then in the am! 

Tanker was surprisingly easy to ride in steep moguls. :smashfrea

Wow, 20cm of untouched fresh light snow on everything around Raven! We had a ball this morning. I almost would have preferred a bit heavier snow - the light stuff gets pushed around quickly and one can get right into the frozen crunch under... Oh boy, what a problem to have - complaining that the snow is too light?! Freak... 

14888372825410.jpg.551b1c7dbca1aa73f8616550434bb466.jpg

After I finished with instructors, I teamed up with Rod for few park laps. One of my spins went very wrong, ouch. I had to do another lap, just to finish the day on a good note ;) 

Edited by BlueB

Guys, phone in sick, do whatever you need to do, but get to the hill tomorrow - it's insane! We got 50cm of fresh, dry pow, over the last 24hrs and it's still coming down! 

Look at my car buried under, in the lodge parking: 

14889524417181.jpg.36babaf6ddade03be6696ea5d25fb2e6.jpg

Today, I finally passed that remaining exam, so I'm officially a level 3 instructor. :) 

14889523962290.jpg.1244798921270234cbc9eb72d0ba30e6.jpg

Edited by BlueB
  • Like 1

Yet another spectacular morning! 20-30cm of fresh around Raven! Tanker all the way, steeps, bumps, woods... I even did a 360 on it to finish of the day. 

I was supposed to be with instructors, but only little Emma showed up for a "private". Later we teamed with Rod and Gary too. Also saw George on the Winterstick swally! 

We finished of in the Raven pub, with chicken wings and scotch ;) Thanks Boyz! 

We were lucky yesterday night, it snowed during the session and started raining just after... 
I'm afraid that we are heading into a very bad weather pattern, for a while :( 

Anyways, that's it for me for next 2 weeks.