Note to New Members ×

USPS TO CANADA. What a rip off

slopestar

I'm  confused. Did you think that was unreasonable ? You are in fact paying for two government services one in Canada one in the USA . Have you ever had a gov't employee do anything for you cheaper ? 

Canadians are overcharged  ( overpay ) for everything cell phone, internet  hydro, etc adding on to our overpriced mail is just another thing we have come to expect. When shipping to Canada from the US you are actually paying double postage. There can and in most cases is added fees like custom charges including handling fees and import tax as well as sales tax. UPS charges in Canada for customs clearance is also very costly and the best way to avoid it is to ship  USPS. 

• 2 months later...
On ‎2016‎-‎09‎-‎23 at 6:56 PM, BlueB said:

I think that you could have stuck those in an envelope and sent as a letter... 

Anyways, I've just sent a smallish board to US, via Can Post, and it was only 45 CAD / 37 USD... 

Try that with a board over 180cm. Sold a Winterstick Swallowtail 183cm and had to ship it to California. Close to the $300 CAD mark with Canada Post/USPS. With any box over 180cm, the price goes crazy!!! Cheapest way I found was to ship it to a friend that lives near the boarder, and have him ship it by UPS once on the US side.

2 minutes ago, BlueB said:

I think they work on volumetric, circumference x length. Since swally is wise and long, the price goes up from a skinny race board of the same length. If you packed in a shaped box instead of "burito", the thickness goes up a lot too... 

Don't know, maybe I did it wrong. I tried a lot of dimension combos for a given weight on Canada Post's website to simulate shaped box vs burrito wrap style, and the determining factor for price explosion seemed to be length. As soon as I went over 180, boom!

14 minutes ago, Neil Gendzwill said:

Mig, you must have used Priority.  Expedited Parcel from Saskatoon to California for 190 cm X 30 cm X 10 cm, 5 kg is $66 but Priority is $300.

Switch the 30cm for 35cm (width of the board I shipped) and you only get offered one rate on a different result page, which is in the neighborhood of $300. At least, that's what happens when I do it.