Note to New Members ×

Quick newbie binding question...

SWriverstone

I just got my carving gear today (WOOHOO!) and am about to mount some F2 Carve RS bindings. I just want to make sure I'm doing it the right way!

The bindings have a round metal plate with slots for the screws (see pic below). Do I just put the screws right through this plate and into the inserts? I wanted to be sure there isn't supposed to be something between the metal plate and the board, because the plate isn't flush against the board...it's about 1/8" above the board (maybe a bit less than 1/8"). (Is that normal?)

Thanks,

Scott

f2_bindings.jpg

Thanks Jon for putting that disk in the mail! I'll be looking out for it...

And thanks for the info everyone. I feel better knowing the center metal disk will pull down to the board as the screws are tightened. It seems a bit difficult to engage the screw threads in the inserts...I guess I just have to apply some downward pressure to get the first one or two started?

Yes, Jack---I read your excellent article on mounting bindings---thanks!

I don't know how SnowPro bindings generally compare to the F2 Carve RS...but the SnowPros I have (the "S-Race" model) seem sturdier/stiffer, as they're all metal (whereas the F2s are largely plastic). I'm sure either will be fine for me as a rookie...

Looks like I'll have to go with about 55* to prevent boot-out with my M29 boots. That's not too bad---only 10* more than my soft setup! Hey---what's 10 degrees? Nothing, right! :)

I'll be getting out on the new setup tomorrow---look for a full report! :) BTW, my board is a Niedecker Extreme Race GS 164.

Scott

Originally posted by mirror70

One thing you may want to do is rotate the center disk 90º. Those holes/slots should go across the board to allow you to fine tune where you stand between the edges.

dont think its necessary on either the F2 or SnowPro. they have adjustment screws for the toe and heel blocks I believe?

Okay---continued thanks for the input. I hadn't thought of rotating the metal disk 90* to adjust side-to-side position...but yes, the F2 bindings have individual toe & heel adjustment screws.

It looks like I might need slightly longer screws than what I have. Please tell me I can find what I need at the hardware store---and they're not some rare, Eurometric form of screw (with a funky thread count) that must be mail ordered! I know the thread match is critical so as not to strip the inserts...

I'VE GOTTA HAVE THESE MOUNTINGS ON BY 4PM TODAY!!! That's when my night pass kicks in and I can go try it out! :)

Scott

Someone will correct me if I am wrong. I needed some new screw for my coiler am and went to the hardware store with my screw and matched it in the bulk small parts bins with a longer version. I went home and tried them but they were too long so I Know the thread pitch is 1mm so I cut off 2 threads with my dremel cutter and it worked great. It took a while to figure out the right depth, so get extra screws in case you screw up.

The screws are also probably zinc plated steel, they might tarnish, but it will get me through the season. They aren't quite as strong as stainless steel but at least you have 4 of them and not 3 like some boards.

If I am not mistaken ,the screw you need is a M6 X 1 X length.

Yep, you're right Fleaman---I went to the hardware store and found some M6, 1.00 pitch screws that were just the right length---wouldn't you know they only had 7 though! (Grrrr....)

So I'll swing by a Lowe's on the way to the resort tonight to see if I can find that last screw---I'm not sure if it's cool to go out on the slope with only 3 screws in my front binding (or is it?)

First time on carving gear will be tonight---stay tuned for full report!

Scott

Scott, be prepared for the rush of your life! And don't forget to stay away from anyone and everyone! It can be pretty scarry if there are people around when the board is doing it's thing and you aren't able to control it well yet! I've found even the green runs can be fun. I'm sure you'll love it!

Kathy

Originally posted by Steve Dold

How strong are stainless steel screws compared with the typical zinc plated screws?

I was asking the same in a previous post , but edited it because I found out at the McMaster-Carr site, the stainless screws had 85 000 psi tenstile strength and the Zinc ones had 60 900 psi.

Just wondering if one of the mechanical engineers ever figured out the force on Bindings and what the real pull force is on the screws.