Note to New Members ×

Scott Anfang - a hard boot instructor?

SunSurfer

Nigel C and I will both be visiting Central Otago over the coming weeks. Scott Anfang is an instructor at Coronet Peak, alternating at Steamboat, who has been mentioned as a possible carving instructor. He isn't on the list of carving instructors on the Bomber site currently. His Steamboat YouTube profile shows him only on softs.

Any comments, experiences, inside knowledge in the Bomber community about his ability to teach hard booters?

Thanks B2 for the message re Scott and an e-mail contact address! I've forwarded it onto Nigel C who will be down in Otago before I get there.

I had Googled Scott and he has serious credibility as a soft boot instructor. His PSIA profile would be the envy of many. All the stuff I can find about him online relates to soft boot riding and soft boot carving, apart from an image from many years ago showing him in the background with some other riders who are wearing hard boots.

He is involved with an Apple app called GoSnow, and via that website is advertising a coaching trip in Central Otago this winter.

Cheers and best wishes, SunSurfer;

Several years back Scott coached snowboard competitors, including aspiring racers, with QAST at Coronet Peak.  While he rides and coaches in soft boots much more frequently than on a high performance carving setup, I'm confident you will enjoy riding with Scott and will undoubtedly benefit from his knowledge and experience. 

Here's a quick GIF animation of Scott railing toe-to-toe carved turns: 

2 toe-to-toe-GiF.gif

Best wishes for big fun,

B-2

Edited by boostertwo
  • Like 2

I had a two hour carving lesson at Coronet Peak, NZ today. Scott was riding softies but that didn't seem to be an impediment. He was analytical and technical and a very good teacher and I gained much fro  the lesson. I can recommend him to all.

Nigel

• 1 year later...

Still shredding and loving being on the edge of my board.  I look forward to riding and spending time on the mountain, time figuring out how you can balance and perform over the edge.  Hard boots, soft boots let me know and i will be on the snow with you.   Stoked  to be out there riding, sharing and educating.  Its what I do and I look forward to sharing it with you! check out my profile on GoSnow, free down loadable  app.  Colorado, New Zealand a white surface is shredable, time to get after it.

IMG_1842.JPG

• 1 year later...

Just came across this conversation again, Nigel I totally remember the carving lesson at Coronet Peak a few seasons back.  I'm still coming back doing seasons in New Zealand, was an amazing day up at remarks today.   Hope we can get out and rail some turns again in the future, thanks for the kinds words!

Stoked to see the GIF animation and 32 degree cover shot in the thread. 

Scott Anfang

AASI National Team Coach

GoSnow Co-Founder

trainer / instructor /coach / guide  (All things snowboarding)

Hi Scott

Unfortunately I have just got back from qtown on Tuesday. I had a few days at Coronet & Cardrona but was very Flu affected throughout so a lesson would have been a waste of time. Alan Mackenzie (Sunsurfer) is usually around qtown at this time as there is a conference  that he usually attends, although the last time I saw him he didn't seem to need much coaching! Flick him a PM and see if he is interested...