Note to New Members ×

I'v Been Agonizing over which length Hazelwood to Order!!!

Sintered Man

• 2 months later...

Ok! As the originator of this thread, here is what went down. So I waited, and waited, and waited and then made a rash decision. Did I buy a Hazelwood? Nope. Not yet.

The MADD

Instead I saw a good deal on a Bomber Boiler Plate. I realized that what I am most in the mood for is something different. Never tried the Bomber Boiler Plate system. Now I got it! Meanwhile, on another day, I'm scanning eBay for no good reason. It's around lunch on a Sunday afternoon. What do I see on the snowboard listings than a MADD BX 168!!! This one's name is "The Defibrillator"! It was posted for only $188 bucks. So I hit Buy It Now without hesitation! I've heard it said before on these forums that people would like to see how a MADD does with a plate. I guess now we'll find out! 

I had to get proper bindings, so a Bomber member sold me a pair of non step-in Catek OS2's. I read some threads on Icelantic Ski boots (you know, the Deeluxe 325  clones( and found a pair on the eBay for 80 bucks without liners. Snatched those up, added my Intuition Liners, and a set of Bomber BTS units to round out the deal!! 

So now, I have my small/narrow trail carver. I'm excited to see how this little beast turns! Look as if I've got my tiny trail needs sorted.

But the story goes on...

image.jpeg

Yeah, what Jim Says!!!  Besides, this board ABSOLUTELY does NOT need an extra plate on it!! Now, risers, that you may want IF softbooting it.  Volkl's 'Flex' plate system, using the softer bumpers, works well, as do Palmers (hint, turn the cresents 90* to gain a little edge pressure).

I helped with the concept (years of pestering Mike + JG) for this board. I wanted a carbon butterfly on a board that was part Reto, part Tanker, part Cross.  It's one of the BEST boards ever for going FAST, and riding the entire mountain. It doesn't excel in bumps, pipe, rails, and can be a foot-ful in woods, BUT that wasn't it's mission. It's for high-end freecarving, Softboot GS racing, BX Racing, and Icy conditions.  Shane Mahoney borrowed mine a few years back, and ran a G.S. race, in softboots, and Smoked the field by almost 2 seconds! It's not a slow board!:cool:

While I don't mind you putting hardboots on it, the Plate should go! Possibly mellow the angles a tad (well, IF you feel under-leveraged on edge), and feel free to use the stance set-back an inch or so for soft-snow days. It does float, though not as well as a 167 Tanker (nose is not as soft). Treat it well!  I remember that particular deck being prepped and checked at Shaggy's, so, you break it, I'll Find You !!:smashfrea

Funny thing is, a couple hours after posting this update, I had an offer to trade for an original MADD 158. I wont argue with either of you guys. I wont even say that you might be right, because I'm sure you are right. I'll try it with the plate anyway, and if it is too crazy, well I can always strip it off. Then I'll have another excuse to buy a Slalom board!