Note to New Members ×

Fullbag Diamond Blade review (softboot carver)

Duke

So, I have been lingering and wanting one of these for some time now.  I posted about it on this thread:

http://forums.bomberonline.com/index.php?/topic/42648-carving-on-regular-snowboards/page-2?hl=fullbag

And was surprised to hear from the designer himself (I didn't know he was on bomber....I should have guessed)  He did coax me into taking the plunge and snagging one...even though it is late in the year.  I did a review on a different site, but as I know many of you like to carve in softies too I thought it would post it here and it is as follows:

Team Duke headed out to Targhee today to test this deck out. The members of team Duke were: Ted Nugent, Muddy Waters, Stevie Ray Vaughn, and....yours truly...Duke. The temps were below freezing last night but were just above when I arrived. Groomers were hard as a rock at 0900, but softened up by about....10:30 or so. The sun was out and the day was nice.

Bottom Line Up Front: Team Duke, combined with 137cm of effective "Hattori Hanzo steel" edge.....sliced that mountain to RIBBONS!! Ribbons I tell you!! That board rocks! A carving machine!! Can't get the smile off my face!

163 is about the size of board I like and use, but I was a bit worried that this would seem like a giant plank with the LONG EE. Well, not a problem at all! Handled great. Felt much more nimble than it should have for a 163 that is all edge. And by all edge I mean edge all day long... and held through anything. It took me a while to build up confidence in the edge hold because i would get to the normal point I would expect it to give and ...would wince a bit an push it a bit further.....and waited for it to give....but nada! That edge holds through anything. I was flying down the mountain all day. Once the snow softened up a bit I was really railing it! Pencil thin lines in perfect arcs. 

I rode right through lunch and didn't pause until 2:30-3 pm. Was having too much fun! I have never felt so much control in a softboot board. With my Salomon Malamutes and this board...it was quite the technical ride, and I loved it.

My beloved Dupraz and a hardboot board sat locked up in the racks ready for my to switch to them if conditions called for it....or just for a change....but this thing kept carving....even in the soft stuff. Not until 2:30, when it was really getting soft/slushy did I switch to the Dupraz and headed off piste. This Diamond blade is a GREAT groomer board for softboots. I have never been on a Virus (ultimate carving deck)...other than some day dreams..... and I wish I had so as to compare....but my guess is that it would be a close call. 

Regarding camber: . Not really alot of camber to this deck. Doesn't have the same pop full on cambered boards have....but also isn't catchy at all. I flatbased this one no prob and eventually wasn't even worried about catching an edge. Usually when riding a full camber I have it on my mind...just a bit...all day long. I've caught too many edges in my day and so it always lingers. But not on this one. I think i would call it 1/2 camber. Easy to ride, but no big pop either....but still...it does have camber and I did feel it. Does not ride like a rocker board. it didn't feel like there was any rocker anywhere on it though I think there is juuuuust a bit at the tips.

Board flex: Definitely a stiff board, but didn't seem overly so. I am 170 lbs naked and it seemed perfect. I was riding hard though and I think for my weight....riding hard matches this deck. 

One thing that was making me hesitate on this board is the width. I was wanting a skinny deck for carving. Turns out that this seems to be a good width. i was railing this over so hard that I was tappin' boots....and that is for size 8 boots so not big. Not really booting out...but tappin'. I had to adjust the angles a bit, which took care of that, but I'm glad it isn't skinnier after all.

Weight: this board is much lighter than I thought it would be. very light.

My only regret: that I took so long to make my decision. Now i have to spend the entire off season wishing I had snagged this earlier in the year.

• Like 4

Wow! Thanks for reviewing the board Duke!!! I am super stoked you like it!!!

For everyone that has contacted me and shown interest, now is a good time to snag a Fullbag Snowsurf as all snowboards are on sale on our website at 30% off. You just need to enter the discount code "April Sale" at checkout.

• Like 1

For everyone that has contacted me and shown interest, now is a good time to snag a Fullbag Snowsurf as all snowboards are on sale on our website at 30% off. You just need to enter the discount code "April Sale" at checkout.

I wish I could take advantage of that incredible offer Mig, but I'm replacing my race boards right now. It's next in my list after that though!!!

Edited by Emdee406
  • Like 1

Sounds like a blast! I LOVE carving in my softs, and I know Mig makes great slalom skateboards...I'm going to have to try one of these next winter!

You aren't too far away.  Come on up and you can give it a try (Kelly Canyon or Targhee)

• Like 1

My 3 boys and I rode today and had a great time.  At the bottom of one of the runs I went ahead and "allowed" my 18 year old to try the Blade.  This kid is into straight bombing it and jumping in the park but I told him to just hold it on edge and see if he could keep from skidding.  So.... not a black diamond run or anything harsh, but still you will see that when a non-carver gets that much, correctly shaped,  EE.....he turns into one.  :)  I don't think he left a single track wider than an inch :)  

On a side note....my kids generally refuse to wear the teletubbie helmet for vids, but...I don't worry too much and am happy to clip on top to catch some vid of my boys :)  When I do...they try to stay far away from me :)  I told him he couldn't try to straight bomb it away from me and had to allow the teletubbie to follow him :)

https://desertdukephotos.smugmug.com/HmanCarve/i-3Prn53x/A

If I knew how to embed a vid thumbnail I would....but I don't so sorry it is just a link

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I bought mine a few weeks ago before reading this thread and I can say I really like it.  I rode it only once in spring corn on hardboots and it behaved very well.  Not made for carving but at lower speed on hard pack it does more than ok and it hold edge pretty well. 

The fun starts when you start surfing the board ...Lots of fun.  Definitely a board to have in the Quiver. 

Can't wait for a real storm next year.

I talked to Mig a few times before ordering the board and he is very helpful and responsive to all the questions.   The build quality of the board is very good.    For the US people -30% and then -30% for the the exchange you get a crazy board for very little $. 

• Like 1

I bought mine a few weeks ago before reading this thread and I can say I really like it.

I have to add a little precision. Ernie00 is talking about the Blunt Diamond, which is a completely different board from the Diamond Blade.

I'm just sorry I didn't order it sooner. I'm in Colorado now interviewing for jobs for our relocation from LA. Heading back to LA Friday afternoon and hauling ass for a one day trip to Mammoth. This would have been the go to. Now it will just taunt me until next season... Thanks a lot Mig

• Like 1

David, stop thinking buy 2, you deserve it!

LOL...  I finally realized that I can't buy talent(throw money at the problem).

Ride one board and dial in the settings and work on technique seems to be the trick for me :-)

On the other hand:  That is a sweet deal...  the deal chaser in me just can't resist...  "Going broke by saving money" 

Edited by pow4ever

Q is which one :-)

A is all of them!!! ;)

Blunt diamond -- built for powder; ok on groomer

That's pretty much it. I would add powder tree riding into the mix, and does a little more than ok on groomers for this type of shape.

Diamond blade -- built for groomer; ok on powder

Right again. A mix between a BX board and a freeride board. Packs a lot of effective edge for its length. But has a blended dual sidecut that is tighter than the usual BX boards. Carves great on groomers but also has all around capabilities.

Where does lifer fit in?

Describing the Lifer is kind of hard. It is just as fun in powder as it is on groomers. Feels shorter than it is. Floats great due to the longer nose, swallowtail and light taper. It is less lively than the Blade on groomers, but still carves great. The more you put it on edge, more edge engages, and the more it rails. Accelarates like a bullet. As won a banked slalom race, best trick in a half-pipe contest, and chosen to slash pow in places like Island Lake lodge, China, Europe, etc... So, fun board!

hammer head are longer version of blunt diamond?

Yes, you could say it's the Blunt Diamond's big brother, as it has a similar ride feel. Longer but with a little less setback and taper, and more edge hold. Just bigger, faster, more stable for open spaces. The swallowtail helps compensate in powder for the difference in setback and taper to maintain the Blunt Diamond's surfy feel. On groomers, it makes the board a little softer at the rear contact point. It helps manage your turns exit: edge hold when you want to, break away into a slarve or trail side slash when you want to.
  • Like 1