Note to New Members ×

carve board specific roof rack

RJ-PS

Just wondering if anyone has found a solution to carting a few 200 cm boards to the mountain? It would need to be secure as I want to be able to change boards in the parking lot depending on conditions. I understand that both thule and yakima have cargo options, but I am not looking to sell my first born.

Thanks

what sort of vehicle do you drive? Most ski/board attachments will work for alpine boards. As far being "secure".... I'm pretty sure if someone wants your gear bad enough, they're going to remove it from your car. I use an extra cable lock when I'm leaving my equipment on the roof for a long period of time....

Guest Randy S.

I have a Thule one that I like a lot. It is kind of smooth ABS that looks like Carbon Fiber (paint job). A couple of important considerations: 1) Get one that opens from both sides, not from the rear or one-side only. 2) Smooth ones and lighter colors don't show the dirt as much and are easier to clean off.

Any of the long ones should hold your big board. I put my 210 in mine last weekend and it worked (I could fit 3-4 210s with no bindings or 2-3 with bindings. Mine isn't the biggest one, yet it easily holds 5-6 carving boards with bindings and some gear. It stays dry in there so your boards are clean when you get to the hill.

If you drive an SUV, don't forget you have the box on top. Driving into your garage or a parking structure is a big no-no. ABS boxes will flex, to a point (I know from experience). A good tip: Put something like a garbage can in your garage parking space when you mount the box. That way when you get home late on Sunday night, you won't inadvertently drive right into the garage and crush your box.

Sportsrack is having a sale right now. 20% off. REI also carries them. They also have a cool comparison chart online I think they have a store out by Sacramento if you can get there. They have a bunch that are under $400.

Originally posted by Jack Michaud

RJ, keep this just between you and me, but Bomber is currently in prototype phases with the "Trech Digger Transporter"

Droool.... Must purchase. Must consume. Sexy aluminum... is... too... sexy... Will it be able to fit on my current Thule rack load bars? And can you have it ready for delivery tomorrow?

I've ridden on roofs before(aero tuck testing) but thats where I carry my boards now. A box on each car for my two car family. I would never just rack them on a roof. Although if travelling alone they share the inside with me.

try rackattack

they had everything I needed at the best price I could find.

I'm wondering if it will have a "tongue-in-groove" design, so that when it is closed, it is sealed well from the elements. I've used an "ARC" carrier in the past that has such a design, and the gear is always dry and clean.

The groove was facing down and obviously would overlap the upward facing tongue.

Also, will the longer version be capable of carrying skis? I'm looking at roof carriers, but they must be able to handle both skis and snowboards.

I'm looking forward to seeing this product! :)

Rad Air makes a board bag for the 200cm tankers and they hold plenty of gear as well. It comes with two internal gear bags and a small misc bag. The case is also wheeled for rolling around the airport as well. I have had 5 boards and gear in on of the bags with no problems other than weight.

cheers,

sandy

Jack,

I don't know how to say this, so I'll just tell you straight out, someone talked.

Catek has been in development of the C3 (Catek Cartop Container) for about a year and is about to go to market.

All of the specs you mentioned are incorporated into the catek design and you don't have to buy new mounts no matter which car you put it on. The C3 will also allow for boards up to 228cm whcih was a specific request from a carving legend on the East Coast who rides a board of that stature. BTW His girlfriend claims that he is not compensating for anything.

Some designs that were not incorporated into the TDT: the C3 allows for the user to do windtesting via the clamps (standard or intec ) incorporated into the top of the container. And an internal computer identifies the host car's paint color and performs a secretly designed cameleon like surface to match perfectly.

I am not sure of the legal ramifications or if you want to do an internal investigation, but this does not bode well for the launch of the TDT.

I will probably go with the C3 because of the immediacy of my need.

Thanks

OK, the TDT wins. I mean when I'm sharing a banana with the other park monkeys waiting two hours for the perfect time to hit the jib, I need some sweet sounds. After all sometimes I wait so long for my turn that my butt actually freezes into place.

Off-topic: Last year I actually saw one of the park monkey chicks wearing her pants so that her thong would show! Can't imagine how proud her parents must have been.