Sign in to follow this  
Colozeus

What are your favorite trails? Aspen

So i'll be in Aspen for a week starting on the 19th of this month.

I have never been to CO. Wanted some advice on what the popular carving trails are at the aspen resorts. I'll be staying at snowmass. 

In case you haven't yet seen it, The Carver's Almanac has intel on some preferred carving runs at many destination resorts. 

2e66987.jpg

Carver's Almanac creator Scott Firestone, Vail, Colorado

Best wishes for an awesome trip!

I'm surprised you haven't gotten a zillion responses.

Being altitudinally challenged, I like to acclimate for the first day or two at Buttermilk because almost everything is good carving and under 10,000'.  For warm up runs in the morning I like Ridge Trail to Midway or Lower Savio, or on the Tiehack side, Buckskin. The sun lines up with the west Buttermilk runs about mid day and the runs over there are shorter so I don't have to stop and re-oxygenate.

Aspen Mt (Ajax), Ruthies is a favorite. Also, nice blue carvers from the Ajax express chair.

Highlands has nice nice carving on runs under the Exhibition chair and Cloud Nine chair.

Snowmass is probably best on a weekday because it seems it can be more crowded than the other mts.  Great wide open carving runs off the Big Burn chair and Sheer Bliss. Take the gondola over to the runs served by the Elk Camp chair and the run back under the Gondola is pretty good too.

Edited by bigwavedave

Hydration, my point was to increase your H2O intake a week in advance of your travels to the high country. On the hill, I usually carry a small bottle to drink from in between pit stops. My Dr. suggested to take an aspirin a day a week in advance of travels to help with altitude adjustment.

Edited by Pat Donnelly

Hydration, my point was to increase your H2O intake a week in advance of your travels to the high country. On the hill, I usually carry a small bottle to drink from in between pit stops. My Dr. suggested to take an aspirin a day a week in advance of travels to help with altitude adjustment.

Already started! :-D

Ajax. Straw pile below Ruthies is great after the fast skiers show up on Ruthies after 2 runs.

Buttermilk. Buckskin to the frontside chair (lower savio?).

Highlands. Gun barrel/ Golden Horn.

Snow mass. Alpine Springs lift Naked Lady or whatever is groomed there,then go up High Alpine for great views and go down Green Cabin.