Note to New Members ×

Softboot Bindings for Carving/Freeriding

Hello

This past weekend I decided to give my softboot set up an honest carving day.  For me softboot carving is something you do simply to get back to the lift when searching out more powder.  On this particular day I rode the softboot set up in conditions that I would generally ride hardboots and an all mountain board.

I set up the Apex Gecko Stealth plate with the 1.5cm high arrangement and the softest orange bumpers.  My goal with the plates is to smooth out the ride and reduce boot out as much as possible, I want a balance between a comfortable ride and performance ... I'm getting older and just want to have fun!

The Swoard Dual 175 is a board I have had for several years, but the Ride Ele Hefe bindings and Apex Stealth Plates are new to me; the K2T1 boots are only a couple seasons old.  I can honestly say that I probably had as much fun as I have ever had when carving in softies ... the combo is a VERY nice set up!  The ride was smooth and damp that I felt more and more powerful and comfortable as the day went on.  The mobility of the softboots and the power and smoothness of the binding/plate combo was very enjoyable to ride.  The only thing that still makes me nervous when softboot carving is a hard toe side turn in bumpy conditions, I am always a bit worried that my front ankle/Achilles heel is going to hit an impact and go way past the normal range of ankle movement ... this is where I still miss the power/safety of my hard boots.

I really didn't notice the extra height or weight of the Gecko Stealth plates, so much so that I decided to measure the height of my softboot vs my hardboot set up. I rigged up a simple system to measure the distance from the p-tex base of the board to the inside the boot heel height of the front boot.  The softboot set up has already been listed.  For the hardboot set up I used my Coiler Nirvana, that has F2 bindings that are flat on the board, no lift or cants, and Northwave boots.  The measurements were as follows:

Softboot Set Up: 7.5cm from base of the board to the front foot inside the boot heel height.

Hardboot Set Up: 10.5cm from base of the board to the front foot inside the boot heel height.

Even with the Gecko riser, the softboot set up was a full 3cm lower than what most would call a lower hardboot configuration.  Just an interesting observation.  If boot out is an issue and you are searching for a smoother ride, I would consider the Apex Stealth Plate.

Cheers

Rob

Gecko-Dual 02.jpg

Edited by RCrobar
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

Just curious, but has anyone considered using splitboard bindings in a non-splitboarding appication (i.e. softboot carving setup)?  Admittedly I do not know much about the characteristics of splitboard bindings, and I'm going by the assumption that splitboard bindings for softboots are typically stiffer than the stiffest "regular" softboot bindings.

I did see something interesting recently about this company called Karakoram that make bindings typically for splitboards.  They have a system that allow for quick swapping to any board that use their baseplate adapters.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Hello

I have taken the soft boot binding advice from a few Bomber members and felt that I could add a bit more information to this thread, hopefully this might help others who are also searching for a softboot binding.  Ride El Hefe, Flow NX GT, and Catek Freerides are my frame of reference with regards to softboot bindings.  IMHO the Ride, Flows and Catek's all offer similar quality and carving performance.  Below are a few things you might want to consider when searching for your next softboot bindings with carving and NOT booting out as a key focus.

Centering your Boots on your Board 

-The Ride El Hefe uses an adjustable aluminum baseplate to move your boot towards the heel and toe edge of the board.  

-The Flow NXGT primarily uses off center holes in the aluminum center disk to move your boot towards the heel and toe edge of the board

-The Ride El Hefe uses the 4x2 hole pattern center disk to mount the binding to the board.

-The Flow NXGT uses a 4x4 hole pattern in the center disk to mount the binding to the board.

-The Flows larger sized center 4x4 disk makes it possible to rotate the center disk so that the mounting slots can also be used to further adjust the boot so that it is centered perfectly between the heel and toe edge.

-Rides smaller 4x2 disk are not able to be rotated to help center boot onto the boards' heel and toe side edges.

All in all I think it is easier to center your boots with a large or XL Flows when compared to the El Hefes.

Large vs XL Bindings

Your boot and binding size play a pretty big role in making it possible to center your boots on your board.  Unfortunately for me I have pretty big feel, size 11 Mondo Point 29.  Size 11 is often the upper limit for a large and the starting point for an XL binding.  

With my XL Ride El Hefe's, which I really liked, I was not able to center my boot onto the board.  The Heel edge of the Rides, with the metal baseplate slide to the smallest setting, hung over to the heel edge side by quite a bit.  The smaller 4x2 disks meant that it was impossible to move the boots to a true center position.  A non centered boot that was sticking out on the heel side edge combined with the standard heel hoop resulted in my booting out ALL the time, even with Gecko risers in place.  I should have bought the smaller large El Hefe's.

I also own a pair of large Flow NX GT, earlier in this thread some of my difficulties are explained with the large Flows, K2 boots and Fred Flintstone feet that are on what some would call large volume.  The Large Flows are just a bit boot small for my boots ... but they do work.  I probably should have bought the bigger XL Flows.

27cm and 28cm Wide Boards

When shopping for a stock board, not a custom build, boards that are 27cm wider are easy to find.  If you try to find a 28cm wide board, the search becomes quite difficult.  Wider than 28, forget about it!!  When you have Mondo Point 29 boots, carve your board at high edge angles (75 to 80 degrees), every cm counts.

Because the Flows are 2 or 3 cm shorter than the Rides (no heel hoop), I decided to sell my El Hefes and buy a pair of XL Flow NXGT's.  Doing so made it possible to ride my 28cm wide Dupraz with no risers, carve hard and NOT boot out!!  With a 27cm wide board and a riser, so far boot out has not been an issue.

Basically it was easier to shave 2 or 3 cm off of the bindings overall length then it was to find a board that was 2 or 3 cm wider.

Flow NXGT (Size XL) Test Drive Time - Round 2 a year later

My main issue with my large NXGT Flows, that I talked about a year ago, was the difficulty I had getting them on and off ... not as easy as advertised.  

With the XL Flow bindings there is a LOT more room to slide your boot into the bindings (as suggested by SVR).  The 'technique' of loosening the top strap off of the binding strap, then dropping the high back down second when getting out .... followed by putting the high back up first, then tightening up the straps second when getting in made a huge difference (as suggested by Slopestar) with the ease of exit/entry into the Flows.  I also rode the lower part/strap of the flow straps a bit looser, I am able to slide my pinky finger under the lower part of the strap.  This helped my feet, that are prone to freezing, stay very comfortable and not 'pinched off'.  Doing this also made it that much easier to get in and out of the Flows.  I was able to, using Slopestars method, to get in and out of the XL Flows, get my back foot strapped in and ready to ride, in about the same amount of time it took my buddy to get his ski pole straps over his gloves.

Yesterday I had an EPIC day of first chair, first tracks, 120cm of new powder ... all with the XL Flows and the 193 Dupraz.  I loved the FLOW bindings and am glad I gave them a second chance.

Cheers

Rob

Edited by RCrobar
  • Like 2

We had a group of 4-5 riders today. For some reason all of us chose softboots and all of us chose rear-entry bindings (flows and one GNU). I remarked on how easy it was to get in and out once you get them dialed in right. It might not be as easy as they advertise and on some situations kinda awkward but overall much easier than traditional.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I really like flux bindings, I have the TM and XF, which are both responsive and very comfortable. They are similar but the TM due to the design of the high back has limited (only 3) forward lean settings. I would recommend you look for a pair of XF bindings.

• 1 month later...

Well, you already mentioned that you have Diode parts lying around so I'm going to assume you have tried those and it's not what you were looking for. I'm a huge fan of the split baseplate. I mounted the Diodes after taking a few runs on the Carbons that I was replacing them with and the freedom of the board to follow it's more natural curve was unmistakable. I understood the concept, buying them. I did not expect the dramatic results I got. 

• 1 month later...

I have a definitive L vs XL answer! ?

Thanks to my dislike of the Fluxes and a happy coincidence I was able to get my paws on a pair of Flow XLs (btw, totally a Flow fanboy now).  

I have size 10 boots so right on the edge for the L and kinda small for the XL. The XL was super easy to get into and more comfortable than the L. HOWEVER, the XL did not hold my boot as securely (straps were tightened down to the max) and the boot heel was sticking out. I had to move the disks to the sides to get the boot centered.

So my XLs re going to be on the "cruisey" board that doesn't need the response and could benefit from the comfort while the performance board gets the Ls.

Now I just have to replace the stupid hybrid straps on the other set I have. The hybrid straps are the WORST. Smashes my toes. SAD!

Oh yeah, have an awesome and short summer.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Just thought I'd post a few things regarding Flow NX2-GT bindings since I have my hands on a pair. There are some questions which pop up which I don't think have been answered, so I'll attempt to do that now:

1. You can raise the highback

2. You can rotate the highback

3. The highbacks are asymmetrical. You can switch the highback left to right. Or you can use two of the same highback if you wish to order a spare.

4. The ankle strap has two anchorage positions

5. The toe strap has two anchorage positions 

6. The highback has two hinge positions

7. The cable has two anchorage points 

8. On the size L, everything is adjusted to the smaller of the two positions when new

9. The footbed is EVA foam, telescopic and permanently canted inwards at 2.5degrees

10. Size 10.5 Driver X fit perfectly in the size L

Can provide photos of details if necessary.

Edited by daveo
  • Like 1

I was given a couple of pairs a few years ago by Lucien Vink(flow founder and original designer) I finally had to rebuild them after a few years of punishment. I tried several adjustments and the most significant thing I changed and kept was swapping the upper high back and rotating that upper to go inline with the edge of my board. Great product. Easy replacement parts available 

• 4 months later...

So, I’m amazed at the love the flows get. 

I had honestly hoped the drawbacks from damn near 20 years ago were fixed.... after having a pair of current NX2 GTs, I can’t say I like them. They feel dead underfoot, getting them to work with a boot can be difficult if it’s not a flow boot. 

Can feel the cable stretch on heelsides, little bit bouncy. 

To get them responsive I have to crank them down, hurts my feet. 

I tried, I couldn’t like them, performance was quite good just too much bs to get them to work and pain, most modern binding have eliminated all of these things. 

El hefes are a little softer but you get plenty of board feel without it being soft.

o drives, mmmm yes, that’s what I like.

BTW, the heel hoop thing is mostly in your head with flow as they tend to run a bigger gap between boot and high back that pretty much any other modern binding. Yes I know it’s way up high but the heel of your boot counts too and that should be in the same place as any other binding.

Drawback to the o drives are, not a ton of adjustment, can’t rotate highback and no canting options like ride offers. 

• Like 2

I had to tighten mine when I rode and loosen on the chair lift. Kind of defeated the purpose of them.

Apparently the Nidecker Carbon is supposed to be good. But that new Phiokka MIX that @Arnaud posted looks very interesting. If they get reviewed well, might get my partner a pair. 

On 1/30/2019 at 10:50 PM, bobdea said:

I had honestly hoped the drawbacks from damn near 20 years ago were fixed.... after having a pair of current NX2 GTs, I can’t say I like them. They feel dead underfoot, getting them to work with a boot can be difficult if it’s not a flow boot. 

I tried, I couldn’t like them, performance was quite good just too much bs to get them to work and pain, most modern binding have eliminated all of these things. 

El hefes are a little softer but you get plenty of board feel without it being soft.

BTW, the heel hoop thing is mostly in your head with flow as they tend to run a bigger gap between boot and high back that pretty much any other modern binding. Yes I know it’s way up high but the heel of your boot counts too and that should be in the same place as any other binding.

Drawback to the o drives are, not a ton of adjustment, can’t rotate highback and no canting options like ride offers. 

You don’t have to like them but the heel cup part is dead on... 

24 minutes ago, slopestar said:

You don’t have to like them but the heel cup part is dead on... 

Yeah, if you’re coming from something like old burtons. 

With el hefes or o drives it’s an insignificant difference because the heel of the boot makes contact before the hoop does anyway. 

Keep in Mind one of the reason I bought flows was because of that.  In use, mileages vary and in my case it was the same as any other decent binding.

• 1 year later...
On 1/30/2019 at 10:50 PM, bobdea said:

It's interesting. I have the complete opposite experience with Flows. I've tried Flux, Salomon Quantum, Cartels, Genesis, and El Hefes. For me they all exhibit the same problem, not enough power for toe side. I run Burton boots and have never had a problem fitting in the Flows. I've actually started running them looser which is much easier on my feet and I still get a lot of power and response.

Adjusting them? I just spent the weekend using the Salomons and kept on looking for the quick release highback. I've gotten so used to it! For me I can sometimes push my foot in while gliding away from the lift. Definitely not hard to adjust.

There's no right or wrong here. I totally get why these won't work for some but if your question is why do they get so much love it's because they work wonderfully for some of us.

p.s. My method for adjusting them is to put my foot in, lock the highback, and very gently snug them down. That's all I really need. I tried Slopestar's method of reefing them down when the highback is up but not locked and then locking the highback. It works but I felt my foot was in a vice. Hurt too much. I do run the forward lean close to the maximum, that helps in increasing the response.

On 2/22/2020 at 4:26 PM, javajive said:

PHK has a sprung soft boot binding: 

http://www.phk-italia.com/en/products/mix-2/ 

PHK.jpg.bb5efc89e2c2cab5baf6f0f3c6ee0b19.jpg

Looks sweet but I'll be damned if I can figure out why I'd want less resistance in my highback, even though it's clearly the pimpin'-est part of the Mix... On the other hand, it wouldn't be the first time I rashly bought something because I thought it made me look cool. For the same amount, I could get three sessions with a therapist and possibly start working out my self-image issues.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 years later...