Note to New Members ×

ECES Clinics

www.oldsnowboards.com

Thanks Bryan.

This post is to inform that I will be available to do clinics at ECES 2016, Wednesday through Friday.

If memory serves, we generally started the morning clinics at 10:30, meeting at the demo tent.

Last go-round I did several sessions of videotape followed by indoor discussion, and also several sessions pertaining to binding setup, involving on snow diagnostics.

I think I also did a few one-on one situations for particular needs.

Other suggestions/ideas are welcome and will be incorporated if possible.

Also, if there are other 'educator types' with content to offer, feel free to post to this topic. 

Edited by Beckmann AG
  • Like 1

Erik,

Thank you for bringing your expertise back to the ECES again. For those that have attended Erik's clinic in the past know how valuable his teachings are. If you are looking to improve you carving skills I highly recommend signing up for a "free" clinic with Erik (please tip him).  Please respond to this thread so Erik knows how big his group will be so he can plan accordingly.

Here is Erik's hartboot carving manifesto:

http://beckmannag.com/hardboot-snowboarding/a-hardboot-manifesto-v1

We are just a few weeks out, where is all the excitement?

If a cold beer or drink will be an acceptable tip, then put me down for a clinic. Would love some feedback on riding and technique. I don't know what style I ride. A little bit of this and that depending on conditions. Always want to improve. Not sure if I will be able to ride all week, or just part of it?

Hey Beck,

It's Barry from Cali with all the recent BTS vert questions...your responses helped by the way.    I'll be on the East coast that week and would like to join in for a day.

Would/Could you do a private lesson??  

Barry,

Wednesday, Thursday, Friday.

Meanwhile, here's some reading material that might come in handy:

http://beckmannag.com/hardboot-snowboarding/riding-ice

As a general note, got a request for a clinic on Crossover, Crossunder, and Cross-through, so there's another topic.

Edited by Beckmann AG

Erik, have I got a job for you! Old lady getting back into carving after some years away. Legs and ankles beat up from too many motorcycle and snowboard crashes. Crap gear off eBay, demoing new gear at Stratton so I can buy when the IRS sends my refund. Hope you have a sense of humor. See you Thursday. And Friday.

-Gail

• Like 1

Barry, 

If you want to do a one-on-one session, we can probably fit that in on the lunch hour, or immediately following one of the afternoon sessions.

Generally one run is plenty of time to make an assessment of priorities, and to set the gears in motion, so to speak.

I plan to do the video clinics in the morning, followed by indoor review.

Gail,

If you have boots that fit, and a board with edges, a flat base, and camber, the most important consideration is a fully adjustable set of bindings. Presumably you'll be able to borrow a set from the demo pool at least for an hour or so, but you might want to make inquiries in that direction (and budget accordingly).

From my perspective, 85% or so of riding well comes down to boot/ binding configuration.

• Like 1

Probably 5-8 per group. Probably whoever shows up first. If you have not seen yourself ride, the video thing might actually address some of your peripheral concerns.

Not sure on demand, but I'm on a working vacation, so to speak, so I'll try to get done whatever I can for whoever is interested.

...but I'm on a working vacation, so to speak, so I'll try to get done whatever I can for whoever is interested.

Translation = don't be a friggin tool to the volunteer instructor.

Ie: Can I get a private lesson for four hours on Tuesday????????

Edited by trailertrash

For those who've rode with me in the past, I want to say 'thanks' firstly; Secondly, I want to thank the crew that keeps the ECES rolling for their commitment, and recurring hospitality. That said, I have awkward/bad news... I won't be there.  I wrenched my (already bad) left knee while filming my kids (I was on foot, but slipped) snowboarding, and tore it up again.  This will be the first non-Maine (Sorry, Jack!)  ECES I won't get to. I'm bummed...

However, Mr. Beckman has shown me that he's a very solid, patient, and technically correct Coach. Just do what he asks, and you'll come out of the process with some new skills and confidence! 

I don't know who all else might run a clinic, but, I've noticed that often ECES riders work out stuff on their own by chatting it up on the lifts. Don't be shy if something feels off, or needs work! There are some very able 'sideline coaches' that are just hanging out riding at these events. Some of even have AASI affiliation..(eek)

Wish I could be there rippin' turns, but, well, hey, go get some for me, Eh?!  Represent!!

Curt, frippin' Call Me ! !  I've got munchkin boots/bindings for ya! [if you don't have my #, call Diane ('mom') Schwippertt!]

• Like 1

Hi Erik!

Joe and I will be at ECES Wed, Thurs and Fri.

We look forwarding to getting together for a video clinic with you.

Steph are you going to do a women's clinic this year?

Is there a thread for list of attendees?

See you @ Stratton! Denise

For those who've rode with me in the past, I want to say 'thanks' firstly; Secondly, I want to thank the crew that keeps the ECES rolling for their commitment, and recurring hospitality. That said, I have awkward/bad news... I won't be there.  I wrenched my (already bad) left knee while filming my kids (I was on foot, but slipped) snowboarding, and tore it up again.  

Wish I could be there rippin' turns, but, well, hey, go get some for me, Eh?!  Represent!!

PSR, thanks for the posting, and so sorry you can't make it. It has been a pleasure to have you run our ECES clinics over the years and I know I speak for all those that attended your lessons. 

Those attending our ECES-2016 clinics, don't worry you will be in very good hands with Mr. Erik Beckmann.

Geoff, I have great confidence in Coaches like Erik, and while I'm bummed about the knee tweakage, I'm stoked to see this event still being run and cared for with The Riders concerns at the top-of-the-list. It's been a honor to be on the hill with so many good people.

And, Steph,  your women's clinic will, as usual, be excellent! Just remember what I said, that Women can absolutely rule in snowboarding.  It's all in the hips! :-)