Note to New Members ×

Mammoth

AcousticBoarder

3ECBE413-0BD7-46CE-A489-530345998475.jpeg.3aa9defdd1b08962bf0c125943c5224d.jpegMammoth this past Friday was fun until the clouds and weather descended all the way to base. Did some fun fast ones on 2/Stump. Spent Saturday at June and decimated Gunsmoke. Saw some guys carving in softies which was really cool. A good crew of guys. Sunday early ups at mammoths was supers fun. The weather cleared and we rode all over until finishing our day back on old faithful/Stump alley. Hooked back up with the same crew from June and did a couple laps. Loaned my Alloy DO for a run to a guy on a Knapton Twin… He really enjoyed it. We had a great time!

Edited by slopestar
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, slopestar said:

Mammoth this past Friday was fun until the clouds and weather descended all the way to base. Did some fun fast ones on 2/Stump. Spent Saturday at June and decimated Gunsmoke. Saw some guys carving in softies which was really cool. A good crew of guys. Sunday early ups at mammoths was supers fun. The weather cleared and we rode all over until finishing our day back on old faithful/Stump alley. Hooked back up with the same crew from June and did a couple laps. Loaned my Alloy DO for a run to a guy on a Knapton Twin… He really enjoyed it. We had a great time!

Sounds awesome! Wish I could have joined you! 

1 hour ago, slopestar said:

Mammoth this past Friday was fun until the clouds and weather descended all the way to base. Did some fun fast ones on 2/Stump. Spent Saturday at June and decimated Gunsmoke. Saw some guys carving in softies which was really cool. A good crew of guys. Sunday early ups at mammoths was supers fun. The weather cleared and we rode all over until finishing our day back on old faithful/Stump alley. Hooked back up with the same crew from June and did a couple laps. Loaned my Alloy DO for a run to a guy on a Knapton Twin… He really enjoyed it. We had a great time!

Not sure how we missed you at June Saturday.  We were in the trees off of chair 4 a lot, but carved it on Sunday.  Pretty great conditions.  Missed meeting you!

• 1 year later...

hey, I think June is still very marginal (2 lifts?) even with some snow Tuesday.  Mammoth is much better and mostly open as of Thursday. A storm is coming in this weekend they say which hopefully will change things at June.

We ended up staying at June for the weekend. They only had one run open on Saturday, but as a first day of the season warmup it was fine, one of the better green runs anyway. Saturday they were able to open J7 with limited top run access, but coverage was early season though. Still no j6 or j4, just need more snow! All in all snow conditions themselves were still excellent, and crowds next to none. And the wife tried out hardboots for the first time! Montucky here we come! 

On 1/6/2024 at 12:23 AM, AcousticBoarder said:

Yeah we are staying in June but will be riding both probably. Hoping for more snow! 

I stayed at Gull Lake Lodge last week and it sure beats the Motel 6 in Mammoth. 

Good to hear about June!  My "good" board's base wished I didn't bring it to Mammoth.

17 minutes ago, rjnakata said:

I stayed at Gull Lake Lodge last week and it sure beats the Motel 6 in Mammoth. 

That's exactly where we stayed and love it there!

23 minutes ago, rjnakata said:

Good to hear about June!  My "good" board's base wished I didn't bring it to Mammoth.

Lower mountain the coverage was very good for the open run atleast. I will say it got very windy on Saturday with the storm blowing in, so much so that they closed j1 mid morning. Only way down was a snowcat on the cat trail. They piled up the skis and boards and even though my nicer board was on the top it still had some superficial base scratches from the bumpy ride.