Note to New Members ×

Mammoth

AcousticBoarder

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm a Mammoth Noob,  but I'm headed there this Saturday...spring conditions!

I am wondering what board to ride...

I have a Coiler AM 169 or a NFCB 172, or do you see a 161 slalom board?  How about a Donek incline 164 with soft boots...Tanker 177?

I'm just not a Mammoth rider and don't really know what is appropriate there at this time of year..Thanks!

If you're up early for the ice, go with something short that cuts the ice, whatever metal you have best for those conditions.

For the "magic hour" anything goes.  You will feel like flying for about 30 mins tops.

Once things go too soft, go long/big SCR.  Surf the slush way on the back foot, steeper the better.

3 minutes ago, nekdut said:

If you're up early for the ice, go with something short that cuts the ice, whatever metal you have best for those conditions.

For the "magic hour" anything goes.  You will feel like flying for about 30 mins tops.

Once things go too soft, go long/big SCR.  Surf the slush way on the back foot, steeper the better.

Thank you!

I'll start with the MK and then change to the Coiler AM in the afternoon... soft boots stay at home...

right?

2 hours ago, nekdut said:

Once things go too soft, go long/big SCR.  Surf the slush way on the back foo

............. I say go shorter when it hits slush time!   Out comes the Moss PQ60 and the Moss Squadron !    ..... and with all that Moss setback your a Slush Slayer..... not a back foot rider! 

Should be a blast no matter what!    Post some photos and let us know how the conditions were!!!

Conditions at Mammoth 4-28-18 were good...as expected.

Plenty of coverage, backside open and lifts/gondola to the top, but only Main lodge and Mill were open.  All lifts left (east) of Rollercoaster closed (Tamarack, Eagle, Canyon lodges closed). 

Very hard in the morning until about 1030 when it suddenly went softer, then soft at 200.  Windy all day.  Crowded I think for late season (pics don't show it), with a few straightliners in the am.

The longer AM board was a great choice for the afternoon.  The morning was too hard (and crowded) for my comfort in the SL.

01.jpg

04.jpg

03.jpg

Edited by rjnakata

3 minutes ago, barryj said:

RJ   How was the grooming??

Certainly not perfect, but pretty good.  When it's hard imperfections show.  Glop in the afternoon.

You can see better in the first photo

Edited by rjnakata

• 1 year later...