Note to New Members ×

Mammoth

AcousticBoarder

2ttroke, 

It was good to ride with you at June last weekend. Unfortunately I was taken out by a high speed straightliner snowboarder and I was pretty shaken up for the rest of the day. I couldn’t believe that being the only 2 riders on Gunsmoke at the time that the up hill rider couldn’t stay away from me. 
   May All carvers out there be safe and careful of those other reckless riders out there.

I’ll Be at June again the 13th and 14th because with the Mammoth crowds there is sure to be more of those straightliners and I would prefer to stay healthy :)
Tim

Tim,

Yes I was concerned for you!  When I came down the run I didn't see you on the side.  My son Colson said he spoke to you to make sure you were OK and he said you said you were OK but he thought you had your bell rung.  You were gone by the time we got back down.  Gunsmoke was empty, besides you, me, Colson, and 1 other hardbooter, there was probably only maybe 1 to 3 people on the entire run at one time.   WTH

We will be back up for the 13th, 14th, and 15th, we are only planning on doing June.  See you then.

Chris

Lydia, I think you'll love June. Even on a holiday weekend the crowds will be minimal and the grooming is much better than Mammoth. Gunsmoke is the perfect wide open carving run with a decent pitch and there's Deerbowl and Shatzi on the other side which are also good . But don't tell any body else about how good June is so it stays I uncrowded . ;)

See everybody there,

Tim

Tim, Hope you are feeling better - thought that was you - didn't realize you had been hit.   2Stroke, Nice turns on Gunsmoke on Sunday. Which I had enough leg strength to keep holding the edge.  

I thought I saw Thomas on Saturday under the J7 chair - you can't miss his smooth arms behind his back style.

Hope to get back up there in a few weeks.

Miltie, thanks for the compliment!  I was hitting the limits with the legs as well, 18 runs and they were roasted...  You were the one I spoke to briefly on the bottom with the Donek?  BTW, HB is my old hometown, Im now in Yorba Linda.

Idbaustria:  Look for me and my family, Ill be wearing the same as my avatar, blue/white jacket, black helmet, black Coiler, red boots.

Edited by 2stroke

Sorry . I must have Jinxed it when I said June's crowds would be minimal. When I got to June Sat, the line at the bottom to get to the stairs stretched around 1/4 of the entire parking lot. I hard it was an hour and a half just to get to the bottom chair lift so I left. I went to the zoo at Mammoth and that's the first time in 17 years for me that Mammoth wasn't as bad as June.

Tim

Tim!!! What the heck!!?? Are you kidding me????? I went to June to meet some fellow Carvers!!! And yessss.....I stood in THAT line for over an hour to get to the base and it was VERY tempting to just get back to my beloved Mammoth Mountain....BUT I endured the prolonged waiting and was reeeeally hoping one of you were still there........btw....the alternative was waiting at the tubing park with my family for 1 1/2 hours just to get the tickets! ;) Sooooo.......when I fiiiinally got to the mountain base, the lifts were clear!! :) Took your advise and started on Gunsmoke....where I met Chris & his wonderful family!!! Wow!!! All I can say is AWESOME!!!! They showed me around the "hill" and Chris had a few tips & tricks for me in store!! Certainly breathtaking scenery & wide open "Autobahns" with barely any people!! ;) Sorry, you had to endure Mammoth crowds! ;) I'll be here for 2 more days.....mainly skiing with the kids but if you decide to give it another try, I'll be up for some carving again!!!

P.S.: @ Chris.....THANK YOU SOSO MUCH!!!! WHAT AN ABSOLUTELY AWESOME DAY!!!!!! :D

Lydia

Tim, you should have braved the line, it would have been shorter than the net difference of driving back to Mammoth plus parking, shuttle etc...

That line was bad and that was the most crowded I have seen June by a factor of about 4x!!!  That being said, once up, although crowded for June, it was still better than expected.  The word of the long line at the base must have gotten out as Sunday and Monday had no issue, Monday we arrived at the parking lot at 8:30 and parked a few cars away from the bottom of the stairs.

Lydia, it was great to ride with you and we enjoyed your company, Kim was also inspired by your riding.  As far as me giving tips, I think you owe me some as you are clearly a superior rider!  As I sat on my butt after chattering out on some small bumps on Matterhorn, I watched you rip it without issue.  I'll see if I can post some of my shaky hand video.

Kim has really upped her softy carving to the point of overpowering her board, she was matching my turns down Gunsmoke.  She was pushing hard then had a hard crash, from her description of what happened and the description from my son, she overloaded the board with too much weight on the front foot on a toe-side, taco-ed the board and she went over the bars.  That finished her yesterday but she is uninjured except bruised confidence.

Lance, I'm on it for that weekend!  I would love to be able to rustle up some gear for Kim and Colson, he is wanting to follow in dad's trenchmarks and has the aptitude to do it :)  Best bet for boots for her is to rent some AT boots from Mammoth Mountaineering?

Edited by 2stroke

Hi Chris, 

You are funny!!!! Besides that "one" Matterhorn run, you left me in the dust the rest of the day!!! Would love to do it again sooonest!!! Unfortunateley as hard as I tried, 3/5 doesn't work for me! :( Got another half day of carving in at Mammoth Monday though, when the crowds had vanished and surprisingly found some great groomers! :D 

So sorry to hear about Kim, but very glad she is ok!! Watching her, I could tell she is in "need" of an alpine board and would LOVE it!! Btw.....my friend in PC checked for 23 Mondo boots.....but no luck. Isn't there a big birthday coming up???? ;) Thanks for the videos!! I will work on my technique!! 

Lydia

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...