Note to New Members ×

Windham or Hunter?

Longboarder09

• 3 weeks later...

Wyndham. The trails are just groomed better. They brought in a crew chief last couple seasons that has been a game changer. Especially on those deep winter cold hard pack. You will find no better cords anywhere close by. My only issue with Hunter is the constant double fall line...most trails on the front side get pushed out by mid day. Sharpen your edges!

• 10 months later...

Not BK but I'll answer: a double fall line is when the fall line is not in the same general direction as the run is.  If you roll a ball down the hill, it will roll off the edge of the run rather than following the run.  The name "double" comes from the fall line you perceive, which is the path to get down the run, and the actual fall line, which keeps trying to put you in the trees.

Edited by Neil Gendzwill

• 11 months later...

Hey queequeg,

How was Belleayre? Did they have the gondola running yet? How many trails were open? I remember riding there with you and a few other carvers. Belleayre is one of my favorite mountains in the east for day trips. I will often choose Belleayre over Hunter because of the crowds and price. All year long if you bring in an empty coke can or bottle on Wednesday you can ride for $32. Check it out. I will be up there on January 3. Hopefully other carvers will be there.

Jt

Good day at Windham today for the first day of the season for me after a 2 year hiatus. Snow conditions were pretty decent with full width coverage and good depth on open trails, and the grooming was top notch- probably some of the best cords I've seen. The only trails suited for carving so far seem to be Upper and Lower Whistler, and Lower Wolverine. While I could link turns on Upper Wolverine, each of my turns turns into a skid/stop due to the steepness (just for curiosity's sake does anyone actually straight-up carve this run without some skidding?) Overall, very good snow conditions today, but I would probably wait until a few more runs open up on East Peak for more variety. Temps are pretty cold this week and the snow guns were firing all day, so terrain should expand quickly. Also, according to some skiers riding Hunter yesterday, while there is more terrain currently open there compared to that of Windham, much of it isn't well groomed, resulting in a lot of chop and snow piles and generally worse riding.

20p54x4.jpg

lz3vt.jpg

• 3 years later...

Ive been riding at Hunter this season and can confirm all what was said above. From what I heard Covid has made things worse in terms of lines, upkeep. staffing issues, and idiots on the slopes. The crowds even on weekdays can make your jaw drop. The North face of the mountain is so poorly designed I avoid it, the good carving runs including Hellgate and Racers Edge are dangerous to go down by 9:30am due to straightliners. The grooming is decent but you can run into surprises all the time. 

I still like riding here but I think Windham (now under the Ikon pass) may be a better choice next year.