Note to New Members ×

Whitetail 2015-16

piusthedrcarve

Well.  it will be mostly '16,   :mad:   I was flipping photos on my phone and noticed my season started on 11/29 last year.  It's 12/20 but no slopes around here are opened yet. 

Anyway, Just starting a thread for Ride at Whitetail this season.

If anyone plan to come up, please post here with date and time. I remember few newbies around DC area introduced themselves at the end of last season but couldn't meet up.  My scheduled riding will be mostly on Friday evening (5-10 pm) and occasional weekday morning till 1 pm.  I will not likely be there for holidays or weekends but who knows. 

Hope to meet regulars and others soon.

Edited by piusthedrcarve

• 3 weeks later...

So, when is going to be the opening day?  Anyone coming?

Dave,  Did you break your Kessler again?  I saw you're shopping for another long deck.  If you need a deck to ride meanwhile, let me know. I have a deck (F2 179) which is little shorter than your usual ride.  Hope you try some shorter decks this season. 

• 2 weeks later...

Ok.  I have waited too long and finally will take kids to slopes tomorrow as a "pre" snow day or something.

I wiill be there for 9 til 3 or 4.  WT announced that Snowpark and Exhibition (hoping for Homerun to be opened) will be opened.  I remember few years back riding Exhibition with Dave was something else since it rarely gets groomed.  First day of the season it will be.  

01/14/2016

Arrived there around 9:30 and started at bunny hill with 6 years old.

Then took her to Sidewinder and spend good 2 hours there.  My 6 years old was able to link turns comfortably on green trails at end of last season but had hard time (toeside turn) today.  

At lunch time, I finally able to free from kids and rode 2 runs on SnowPark with Mick.  He finally got Bomber Plates on A-Frame and was able to carve much better. 

Condition was very good. It was relatively soft (around Noon) but edge hold was incredible. Temp. rose to 42F around 2 or 3 but little wind helped to keep the conditon good.  No puddle at all.  Few thin spots on Sidewinder. Crowd was light and lift wait time was less than a minute whole day.

Glad to be back on slopes.  I suspect this season will be a short one but am glad and excited to be back on slopes.

I will ride one weekday morning as solo and Friday night with kids until end of this season.

Edited by piusthedrcarve

I plan on being there on Friday all day. Will be there at open. I plan on taking the Coiler you help me setup at the end of the season, Pius. But i'll probably need some help getting it all setup again. let me know when you plan on going next. I think you still have my number. I'll also have my soft boot setup to warm up. The only time i rode the Coiler was in the really slushy stuff at the end of last season. 

I plan on being there on Friday all day. Will be there at open. I plan on taking the Coiler you help me setup at the end of the season, Pius. But i'll probably need some help getting it all setup again. let me know when you plan on going next. I think you still have my number. I'll also have my soft boot setup to warm up. The only time i rode the Coiler was in the really slushy stuff at the end of last season. 

Sure.  As you already heard, we may get over 2 ft this weekend.  If it starts early, like Friday morning, then I will be there in the morning since kids' school will be closed.  If snow dump starts on mid-day, I don't know if I can make it for night session.

Whatever reason if I don't make it on Friday, I will be there for Mon or Tuesday morning next week for sure. 

Edited by piusthedrcarve

35" around my neck of wood. 

It started around Noon Friday so I couldn't go up.

Now I shoveled restlessly all day today to clear my driveway so that I can be on slope tomorrow (Monday). 

WT said they are going to groom most of trails but it will be super soft tomorrow.  I almost broke few alpine decks on such condition. I'm thinking Osin 3800 with soft boots tomorrow.

Colossus,

Regardless what my setup is for tomorrow, I can give few basic tips and setup advice.  Call me if you come up.

Edited by piusthedrcarve

i might make it out tonight or tomorrow morning. They just now started plowing our streets. 

Sorry Colossus,

I saw your text msg little late.  I went Liberty instead.

If you didn't go tonight, please hit tomorrow morning.  

We, Mid-Atlantic folks, have wished to go West but now it's here. 

Soft and knee deep on ungroomed area. I rode a pow board with softboots.  This was first time in 4-5 years and even got me urged to hit table tops and caught some serious air without fear of getting hurt.

I guess condition in WT would be same.  For Liberty, it was PACKED around 11.  Lift lines on the frontside was like 20 min. long and so was backside too. More people were coming in for night rides when I left around 5.   Too many people on slopes are never good. A lot of body collisions were witnessed. I had to follow my 6 years old right behind to protect her from getting hit. 

If you are going tomorrow, get there early and leave before it gets crowded.  Two large counties in VA (Loudoun and Fairfax) schools are closed until Wednesday. I suspect same for MD counties too. 

Went to Whitetail this morning. Finally got to try my coiler in proper snow. And it was great. I had a few runs with a fellow carver; Jason, (or jefferson?). Either way, he followed me on a few runs and gave a few pointers for transitioning between front/heel side. I was carving really well and towards the end it no longer felt awkward and i was starting to get pretty low.

Pius, your advice from last season has been amazingly helpful. Not only for hardboot but also for softboot setup. Mainly, it improved my heelside carves tenfold when i remembered what you told me: To reach with my left hand towards the front of my boot and focus weight on my right heel. (i'm goofy, for those of you that don't know). 

I transitioned to my softboot setup towards the end and lapped limelight a few times before leaving. I mostly stayed on snowpark while i was getting a feel for the coiler. 

Only issue i had was with my deluxe boots. They are just way too tight around my heel area towards the bottom of my foot. I hope they pack out a bit more. I have had them heat molded and that helped a little. I think the shell needs some widening. 

I plan on going to Whitetail Saturday morning and being there at 8.

Went to Whitetail this morning. Finally got to try my coiler in proper snow. And it was great. I had a few runs with a fellow carver; Jason, (or jefferson?). Either way, he followed me on a few runs and gave a few pointers for transitioning between front/heel side. I was carving really well and towards the end it no longer felt awkward and i was starting to get pretty low.

Pius, your advice from last season has been amazingly helpful. Not only for hardboot but also for softboot setup. Mainly, it improved my heelside carves tenfold when i remembered what you told me: To reach with my left hand towards the front of my boot and focus weight on my right heel. (i'm goofy, for those of you that don't know). 

I transitioned to my softboot setup towards the end and lapped limelight a few times before leaving. I mostly stayed on snowpark while i was getting a feel for the coiler. 

Only issue i had was with my deluxe boots. They are just way too tight around my heel area towards the bottom of my foot. I hope they pack out a bit more. I have had them heat molded and that helped a little. I think the shell needs some widening. 

I plan on going to Whitetail Saturday morning and being there at 8.

Glad you had a fun day at slopes. 

I'm going up tonight (Friday).  Forecast for next week until 2/4 seems thawing all the snow we got pretty fast.  So I would like to spend some time on slopes before the warm up begin.  Will be there from 5 to 10.

Jan. 29th

Went there with a kid.  Since he is able to ski well enough to hit park, I rode with him most of times. 

Wind gust up to 30 mph and took all of water out of snow with below freezing temp. and turned them into sugar. 

Snow was pushed everywhere and looked like bumps but basically it was mound of sugar.  On top of that, 5-6 buses came in with teens around 5. Then, It became like weekends until 8. 

Since I expected such snow condition, I brought a titanial SL board to take advantage of the condition and was able to carve down most of blue and few black trails by cutting thru the pushed piles of the sugar.  But somehow, one of them on Angel Drop was a hard chunk of ice and caught it on heelside. I flew good 6 feet off the air and landed on stomach hard on icy spot.  Luckily no injury.   BUT, I wasn't able carve down on those runs anymore and skidded after the fall. So took it easy and rode Snowpark mostly after but stayed until the closing time.  

Just got home an hour ago and I'm noticing few muscle aches and upper back pain.  Well. not a carving friendly day it was..   Nonetheless, I spent time on slopes and am happy.

Edited by piusthedrcarve

Went this morning, had first chair. Stayed on snowpark all day until 1015ish when the hordes showed. Also had a few rides with fellow hardbooters: Rob (who was ripping it up on a skwal) and Jason on his custom Donek. Great session. Snow was great for carving. Was told that limelight was still not that great. At first i was having issues with turn initiation and sliding a bit, then jason reminded me to crouch into the turn and extend to really lock in the edge and that made all the difference. 

I'll be there again tomorrow morning (if i wake up). 

Went again this morning. Stayed on snowpark most of the time. Snow was great until about 930 when it started warming up. Tried limelight once and it was really soft at the top. There was a temp inversion on that side of the "mountain". Rob and Jason were also there, carving some nice trenches. 

Will be there again on Friday, most likely. 

2/5 Friday

Woke up late (drank too much night before). Kids schools (2 counties) were off for Teacher's Work day

Arrived at 11 and rode til 3:45. 

Again, wind took much of moisture out of snow and snow became sugar.  Snow on most of blue runs were pushed and got piled like bumps around 1.  But it was just pushed snow that can easily cut thru. Stayed with my 6 years old at mostly SnowPark and Sidewinder, which were obviously better with less piles.  The bottom half of both runs became like soft sand. Few sharp turns there stuffed almost all of nose.  

Crowd was like Sunday, not as many as Saturday but lift line was at least 10 min. but Quad Express didn't have much.  

When I was driving out, passed by 4 school buses and 1 limo buses.  It seemed like every Friday WT hosts some sort of after-school programs.  Stay away from Friday night ride.  

I'll be there one of next weekday morning w/o kids if condition gets better.   Forecast is promising for next 2 weeks with cold and some natural snow.

That was me.

I rode from 10:30 to 3:30. Holiday crowd was there but condition was so good and it didn't matter. First time this season to ride Madd 158. Loved how it performs, which has been forgotten. I guess I have taken advantages of modern decks and has not ridden aggressively recently. Madd awoke me from the laziness.

Limelight and HomeRun were my new favorites today. Angel Drop was also excellent, even at 3 pm. My legs were shot after 5 hours of pure joy.

Edited by piusthedrcarve

oh, then it was nice to meet you!

I just did a few runs on snowpark or whatever the hill on the left is called.  My first time on plates in almost 3 years and legs were burning up. Do you normally go to 'Tail? I like roundtop the best of the local 3 sister resorts, but it's a bit far. Where in VA are you coming from? I'm in Arlington County. Perhaps we can take some runs together sometime. I've been out of the alpine scene for a few seasons but remember now how much fun it is.

Good conditions. They made snow last night. Snowpark was excellent. Limelight was good at first but then got cruddy/skid out. Angeldrop and homerun had solid edge hold but end of homerun had some deeper stuff i wasn't expecting. 

Saw another hardbooter there, riding a red board with older bindings and boots from what i could tell. Never did catch up to him. Tall skinny guy. Tomorrow will probably be ok if you get there early before it turns into hero snow. I won't be back till next weekend do to a work trip. Enjoy.