Note to New Members ×

Kessler The Alpine 171 vs 180

hotracer

After taking a long break from riding, i have decided to get back into it, I used to be an advanced rider but right now I would say intermediate due to the lack of time on the hill, my previous board was a Coiler Pure Race 184, with a 8.4 stiffness, I am 183cm tall and weigh 80kg, I think 180 pounds.

I am living in Europe so going for Kessler and was thinking about 180 but now wondering if 171 might be better, I won't be bashing gates just carving up the hill and laying it over as much as possible.

Any advice would be great.

Those are  big for Europe, I'd say. Sure, lots of people on this site ride such things, but at your average European resort it's hard to get those big old tanks around the moguls and crowds. Back in the day we'd often get visitors from North America on 2.1m skis... they looked really impressive in the lift queue, not so good in actual use. I have a Kessler SL, a 156 as I'm 62Kgs.... it rocks at any resort at legal speeds. Sure, bigger will get you faster, but I'm already amongst the fastest on the hill and it's not a race...

Look around sites like http://www.extremecarving.com/forum/index.php for some great second hand deals then get two boards, a big un and a small un. I use a Donek Rev 185 and a 163 in the Alps and both are great. If you rode the Pure Race back in the day, I am positive you will find a modern big board a breeze.

If you want new, don't rule out Stateside brands as they can work out to be cheaper even with a custom build. 

I'm of similar build as OP and can make a pretzel out of 171.

Maybe the 168 would be the right product? Everyone claims it's stiffer then 171 and it's an easily flickable size for those crowded days in Euro resorts.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I'm of similar build as OP and can make a pretzel out of 171.

Maybe the 168 would be the right product? Everyone claims it's stiffer then 171 and it's an easily flickable size for those crowded days in Euro resorts.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Hey Blue B, bit confused as you say you have no problem with the 171, then why go down to 168?

Hey Blue B, bit confused as you say you have no problem with the 171, then why go down to 168?

The Kessler 168 is designed to be a men's all-round carver. It's stiffer than the 171. The 171 is meant to be a GS board for lightweight riders. It's a popular length for juniors and female racers. 

If you were riding a Coiler with 8.4 stiffness index, the 171 would feel way too soft.

Edited by Apex Insider

Those are big for Europe, I'd say. Sure, lots of people on this site ride such things, but at your average European resort it's hard to get those big old tanks around the moguls and crowds.

Not sure why you're always banging this particular drum. You can get short boards that are hard to ride and long ones that are easy to ride. I'd rather be on a 180 cm free rider than a 160 cm slalom board.

Not sure why you're always banging this particular drum. You can get short boards that are hard to ride and long ones that are easy to ride. I'd rather be on a 180 cm free rider than a 160 cm slalom board.

If you'd like to tell me which things you're happy with me saying and which you'd rather I didn't "bang on" about I'll give your resquest the consideration it deserves.

There is a mix of opinion. I think that's a good thing, and I make no apology for having one of my own, politely expressed.

Here are the specs on the Kessler:

http://www.kessler-swiss.com/en-US/products/snowboard/theAlpine

Those are  big for Europe, I'd say. Sure, lots of people on this site ride such things, but at your average European resort it's hard to get those big old tanks around the moguls and crowds. Back in the day we'd often get visitors from North America on 2.1m skis... they looked really impressive in the lift queue, not so good in actual use. I have a Kessler SL, a 156 as I'm 62Kgs.... it rocks at any resort at legal speeds. Sure, bigger will get you faster, but I'm already amongst the fastest on the hill and it's not a race...

Phil, when was back in the day? I was a ski tech from 85 to 89ish in France and Austria and every good skier then, was on skis above 2m. Slalom skis were around 2m, gs skis around 210 and the most fun I ever had on a pair of skis were on a friends super g Dynastar Course 215. Most Americans that were skiing Austria at that time were GI's from Germany and they mostly were definitely not good enough to be in a lift line with 2m skis. Just saying :)

Edited by Willow 15

Your jumping the shark going from a relatively stiff glass board to a titinal build. Have you been able to try a titinal  board. They are alot different. I have a186 PR Coiler and had a 173 AM made. Easier to ride more damp and forgiving. I'm about your weight .

Sorry not sure if I understand, having never ridden titanal board are you say easier to ride so go shorter or stay longer?

More forgiving you can relax knowing the board doesn't surprise you as often as an all glass board will. Not a decline in quality but a definite decline in the " oh shit now I'm in trouble feeling. Like the change skis have undergone in the last few years you will appreciate the difference in titinal vs glass having mastered the glass first. Once you start on the titinal you will only want to go back to glass to relive your youth and to scare yourself. 

More forgiving you can relax knowing the board doesn't surprise you as often as an all glass board will. Not a decline in quality but a definite decline in the " oh shit now I'm in trouble feeling. Like the change skis have undergone in the last few years you will appreciate the difference in titinal vs glass having mastered the glass first. Once you start on the titinal you will only want to go back to glass to relive your youth and to scare yourself. 

Cool, can't wait to try, if I wanna scare myself I'll take out the Simms 197!!