Note to New Members ×

Beast 2016

Bobby Buggs

Hate to be the barer of bad news but Mark/Dingbat moved to NC this summer and is gone from the Beast :mad: A huge loss to many of us that knew him as a great friend. Hopefully I can entice him to come up for ECES.

We are gonna have to try and keep the carving vibe at the Beast going so lets check in here during the season.

I just got my boards tuned at the starting gate in VT so Im as ready as my busted up back will ever be :biggthump

Whoa, I was thinking about starting the 'rally call' earlier today and then I see this!

I am still on the fence on getting a pass for up there this year too. I got one last year and I think I used enough times to make it worth it.  I flat out love that place regardless.  Comp is easily in my list of top runs.  

Let me know when you plan to ride.

Edited by *Ace*

Whoa!  What is this world coming to? End of an era. The Beast will still be great, but definitely not the same.

Best of luck to you in your new adventures, Mark!

PS- Though I'm not on hard boots these days, happy to drag out the big Tanker and crank a few turns with anyone interested this winter.

Going to knock my rust off this Friday 12/11. Thinking of either previewing ECES at Stratton or Mt. Snow any feedback on these areas from the early season. Not much terrain open, but I can't stand not riding any longer.

I cant speak for Mt. Snow, but as for Stratton there are three trails open and they are not full width. Weather for the week is in the 40's during the day and 30's at night so they will not make any snow this week.

If you are riding softboots and can make small turn straight down the fall line along the edge of the trail you will be fine.

If you are planning on carving you have a 60% of being killed.

I have only been skiing and probably wont get in hard boots for at least three weeks there.

Snow is good for skiing for a couple hours in the morning then it is sugar on ice. They are doing a good job with what they have to work with, but the weather is not helping.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm planning to come out and ride both this coming Saturday & Sunday (Feb 20 & 21). Anyone else up for a little pre-ECES warm-up action???

ECES will be starting on Monday and the weekend prior has traditionally been the annual Rally at the Thunder Dome. Unfortunately, our most excellent host and friend, dingbat (aka Mark Bennett), won't be able to organize or attend this year :-(.

But that doesn't mean we can't have an impromptu Rally! I can't promise discounted lift tickets or equipment demos, but if you come out, I can promise a fun time and plenty of groom to shred. I'll be there for first chair at 8:30 AM. On Saturday night, the lifts run until 10!

The Rally is eternal. We must ride!

Past Rally at the Thunder Domes: '15, '14, '13, '12, Eleven, X, '09, '08.

Edited by lafcadio

Mark, it's been a difficult season so far on multiple fronts.  This weekend will be my first time back at what has been my home mountain for the past 6 years,  where I learned to carve on an alpine setup and fell in love with snowboarding all over again.  It won't be the same without you there. 

Mark, sad to hear you moved on from the Beast, but hope you're loving NC!  

It's been a long time since i've been on my boards, got out once or twice the last 2 seasons. Every year I decide to get back into it there's no snow!!!  Anyway, hope to ride with some of you all again soon.

Conditions today were more challenging compared to yesterday.  A delayed start and no grooming since the previous day didn't help... but there was plenty of good carving to be had.  You just had to know where to find it.  

The best carving run of the day was.... wait for it.... FLYING CLOUD!   :biggthump  I had several "last runs" on Cloud before finally calling it a day around 1 PM.   In the end the snow held out longer than my legs did, which is always a good sign of a successful weekend.  

I'll be out at Stratton for ECES on Thursday.  I hope to see some familiar faces there.   Bobby, Karson, Wrong Island, Khahn... I'm talking to you!