Note to New Members ×

Shoulder Braces

eddie

It wont help for broken collar bones. 661, the company that makes it says this-

The SB03 is similar in design to the SB02 (the original EVS shoulder brace). 3 different length compression straps allow for a wide range of support options. Straps hold shoulder in place while allowing movement and range of motion Made completely from Airprene.

I think the only protective gear for you wife would be something like a chest protector.

Eddie

Eddie,

I had no ideal that such a product existed. How much do they retail for? Right now, I have a home-made jobby that wraps around my chest and arm, and basically tethers them together so i can't raise my arm above parallel (to the ground).

Guest Randy S.

I considered getting something like this after I tore my rotator cuff a few years back. I'd also like to hear some opinions. I decided it was too restrictive and a pain to wear, so I opted not to get it. They are supposed to offer some protection for rotator cuff injuries though.

Mike T: I don't think there is anything your wife can do to protect her collarbone really. Chest protection might make her feel more comfortable, but it isn't going to do much if she lands directly on her shoulder. The good news is that clavicles seem to heal pretty well and solidly. I broke mine in 1982 and haven't had a problem since. She should just be careful for the first couple of months after the Doc clears her to be active again.

My ex-girlfriend was a pretty serious skier but had problems with both of her shoulders dislocating due to a pretty serious spill she took at a big race. She sould wear two of them, one on each shoulder. They are made to allow both to be worn at once. The range of motion is fairly full. It restricts some in extreme positions (or atleast it did a couple years back, this looks like a newer model). It works by performing restraint in the same way that a healthy shoulder tendons and ligaments should, however it does so with a non elastic material and one that wont break. For my ex. . . im not sure if she ever actually ended up testing its limits, I dont think she ever took a serious fall with it on but it definately gave her, and her doctor pretty good piece of mind.

~tb

Originally posted by Matt D

I ordered one tonight. 4 Weeks after my 19th dislocation, and my local hill opening on friday... I need it!

I'll let you know what I think.

I was thinking about this kind of brace also, but I wasn't shure enough if it would be good for me. My main interrogations about this is how much does it prevent overextension of the shouler (when the muscles themselves pull out the shoulder from its socket), and if the shoulder dislocates while wearing the brace, is it harder to put it back in. Hope to hear how it goes for you with the brace.

Derf

• 1 month later...

Well, I've now been using this brace for a little over 2 weeks, and it works great. I can definately feel an increase in stability, without sacrificing mobility. The 3 straps are hard to use, because none of the diagrams provided are any good. A friend who is a kin student helped me out with some interesting positions though, specific to my needs. I wear it 90% of the time without any straps, but when I'm in my softies riding park/pipe I like some extra lovin' so I strap it up with the longest strap, and run it across my arm, just below my shoulder and it works great. I find it gives me a lot of extra confidance, cause I can feel it supporting my shoulder like my ligaments are supposed to. Great Product, I highly recommend it for all you guys who posted in this thread.

I can't wait to go spin some more 3's with this puppy on!

• 6 years later...

Does anyone have any more to report on shoulder braces such as this? Looks like eddie and Matt D haven't been on BOL for awhile....

I'm just starting PT for a torn up shoulder (subscapularis, infraspinatus, posterior labrum.) Did the damage this winter during an impact on icy waves of death (maybe I should sharpen my shoulders - they might carve better! :cool:) I do realize that prevention is best, and am aiming to have better balance and leg strength for next season. Also have some damage to my other shoulder from putting my hand down. Bad, bad toad. :smashfrea So I need to focus on skills too.

But with all that said, sh!t still happens sometimes. Looking at all options for shoulder preservation...

I have experience with the McDavid brace:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000UVUC9S/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000UVW14M&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1XZ522P9EBCT8EZAKG66

I separated my shoulder on three separate occasions this winter, twice one week apart and the third time at ECES. The first time I separated it, I didn't know how to set it myself and so I had to go to the doc to have it reset (and I later learned that he totally reset it using the "bad" technique!). The second and third times I was able to reset it myself within three minutes of the separation.

I started wearing the Mc.David brace after my second separation experience. The brace definitely increases shoulder stability but it is not without problems - it is difficult to keep the brace straps in place throughout the day - they will creep up your torso as the day goes by and this makes the brace less effective. I ended up supplementing the included velcro straps, which I used to hold the shoulder down (strap around the delt and anchored to chest and back); and also to keep the cross-torso wrap from slipping up (strap connecting wrap to belt-loop).

What helped a lot more than the brace I think was this Opedix Compression Top:

http://opedix.com/ps_posture_shirt.aspx

Get one that fits tight and wear it, your shoulder will feel much more stable. Taking it off at the end of the day feels crazy.

Overall, the braces that I have found for shoulder stabilization are not well designed for use in a sport like ours. I'm thinking of taking mine this summer and sewing it into a compression top like the opedix, so that the goddamned thing will stay put.

So: they help, but they're not designed for a sport like ours that involves a lot of very dynamic body motions. Used with a good compression top they can really help but you need to keep repositioning them, which is very annoying.

Those Opedix tops are the shiz!

Thanks Queequeg! Yes, I can see how the brace might be problematic....

Right now my shoulder is being held together with kinesiotape. Wish they made a beefier version of that stuff - then I could just tape the heck out of it. Not exactly convenient, but at least it would stay put!

Hmmm.... the Opedix shirts look interesting. How hard are they to get in and out of? Guessing my shoulder would have to have a pretty full range of motion to get into one of those...

(p.s. you need to quit tearing your shoulders apart! Three times in one winter?!?!? Ouch!!! And didn't you do a shoulder a couple years ago too?)

I looked at knesiotape - I was curious about how well this would work. The opedix shirt is pretty friggin' awesome. Getting into it takes a bit of work, but as long as you do the damaged shoulder first I imagine that you could do it without having to move around too much. Getting out of it is harder than getting in, in my experience.

Yeah ... I've gotta start being nicer to this shoulder. I broke the collarbone a few years ago, but that did not come with a shoulder separation believe it or not. I've got a rod in there holding that together. My shoulder feels pretty good at this point but it has more strengthening to do - the first time I did it I was totally pissed. The second time was my own fault, for not waiting long enough to ride (same mountain, same run, same time of day, one week apart ... I think the universe was trying to tell me something). The third shoulder separation was the unintentional side-effect of some blatant camera-induced showboating in too-soft snow during ECES ... that never really works out too well for me :). In all seriousness: all three separations happened in fairly soft snow. I try to be extra careful when it is soft nowadays. I'm hoping I can put something together for next season that will do a better job of supporting the shoulder comfortably. I think sewing a brace into one of those opedix shirts could do it, although that is somewhat of an expensive experiment to be undertaking.

My ex-girlfriend was a pretty serious skier but had problems with both of her shoulders dislocating due to a pretty serious spill she took at a big race. She sould wear two of them, one on each shoulder. They are made to allow both to be worn at once. The range of motion is fairly full. It restricts some in extreme positions (or atleast it did a couple years back, this looks like a newer model). It works by performing restraint in the same way that a healthy shoulder tendons and ligaments should, however it does so with a non elastic material and one that wont break. For my ex. . . im not sure if she ever actually ended up testing its limits, I dont think she ever took a serious fall with it on but it definately gave her, and her doctor pretty good piece of mind.

~tb

If it gave your doctor peace of mind, you have an idiot for a doctor. There is no brace that completely protects against injury and we know it, at least, the smart ones....

It you have recurrent dislocations, do what I did and have your shoulder fixed. I have a titanium screw holding my labrum togther and that beats a neoprene strap. As for my bagging the surgical fix, my doc assured me that the accident that would dislocate my shoulder now would probably kill me, too....Notice how he didn't say the fix was bulletproof