Note to New Members ×

Big Welcome to Henry Hester!!!

www.oldsnowboards.com

Special welcome Bomber Online's newest member.  Henry Hester ,  WELCOME Henry!!

Henry , to those perhaps not familiar with Slalom Skateboard history is a legend in the sport and has so many achievements in a life of board sports. 

Recently he posted that he was considering getting back on a snowboard after years away from it.   I invited him to join BOL and he was kind enough to do so.
Please, join me in a warm BOL welcome. 

PS. He was also a heavy with Lib Tech in the formative years. A wealth of knowledge and history!

http://www.ukmatsurfers.com/henry-hester/

post-158-0-07783500-1446925278_thumb.jpg

Well I'm jumping in after 18 years layoff let's see if this old body can handle it at 63 years old here's my quiver

post-158-0-95094800-1446925551_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Thanks, it's been a long time since I've been on a snowboard. 1998 is when we close down the rusty factory and I got a little disjointed about having to do that. That was a great job. But I'm on my way back and collected a few boards with the help of Carlo and Brooke. I'm looking at those boots real hard but I want to see how my first few days go with a May 22 hip replacement. I'm doing good days on my Rubiex bike well... 40 miles and everything feels good. If my hip is ago all be on for sure for Aspen 2016.

post-305099-0-35385200-1446926198_thumb.

• Like 1

Henry, sounds encouraging and those are great boots. 

BOL has quite a few members in CA , please check out the "Ride Board" .   We have a strong history of members helping members here and I am certain that we will find BOL members in your area happy to help in any way.   Your alpine board should be a good place to start.  If you rode it in the past, then it will be most familiar and the Burton Plates are as forgiving as alpine bindings come.    Look forward to hearing about the progression!!  

One more reason I really need to try to make the Aspen Trenching Convention!!

Short Story:  A few years back I happen to be in a local Portland Snowboard/Skate shop.  I noticed they had a Bob Turner Re-Issue on the wall.  I asked about it and bought it.  The salesperson mentioned that the first big Slalom Skateboard event in many years was happening in Hood River that weekend.  So I headed down there bright and early.  With the Red Turner Need Nose in hand I walked the site of the contest.  It was early and only a few skaters there.  FIRST person I run into (setting the course if I recall correctly) Was Henry,  I said "Hi" and asked him if he would pen the skateboard for me.  He said "of course, a Turner! , very cool!"    I had a blast watching the guys and gals RIPPING the course on a hot summer day.   Everyone was quick to sign the board and it continues to hold a very special place in the collection.   Thanks again Henry!!  

It wasn't until later that I learned he was a big part of Lib Tech (among many other companies) back in the day.  

Again,  it is truly a pleasure and an honor to have Henry now as a part of the Bomber Online community!!

A buddy and I rode a similar version of boots for years.   They work well if you don't have huge feet like I do.  Looks like you have plenty of toe/heel clearance on both boards!!  

I climbed and rode from the summit of Mt Hood on some Valugas (SP) back in the late 80s early 90s. 

I noticed the bindings on your rusty as similar vintage to my nitros.

always looking out for another pair.

the light blue is a nidecker escape

the grocer I demoed from Snowboard Connection in early '92; took it home to Alpental and mounted those sims rotocant plates that are on the white sims fakie, It totally shredded Alpy bc mank, so I returned and bought the lib the next day.

Love the koflachs, I was in the pink and black ups asyms back then.

Edited by b0ardski
  • Like 1

Welcome Henry!

Along with common friends we're both part of a growing contingency of rebuilt riders. So did Carlo even notice a dent in his collection, lol?

See you in Aspen.

Al

No dent Al.....no.dent.at.all  :nono:     love your statement>>> "a growing contingency of rebuilt riders"......................isn't that the truth!  But we are alive and breathing so it is all good...........

:1luvu:

• 4 months later...

Thanks guys. Yes this is been a come back here for me after 19 years off. I've tried a number of boards boots and bindings and have ended up with 2 Doneks a Legacy 165 and Flux 170. Bryan has set me up with two TD2 bindings, one step in and split for rear step in on both boards. Deluxee 225s. See pic.

I've been fortunate enough to ride Mammoth, Summit, June, Park City, Aspen, and another trip to Aspen this coming week Tuesday through Friday. My text is 760-846-6800.

A big reason for coming out to Aspen is to try to shake this "carve monkey" I've got on my back. My carve is there but a 3 inch wide swath the needs to be trimmed into a pencil thin groove that I just really haven't been able to attain all year. So working close with Carlo, Mark, Lance, MartinD, PaulP, JG and JimC I owe it to these guys to get it nailed down before I lose sleep all summer.

post-305099-0-53483100-1460057697_thumb.

Edited by Henry Hester
  • Like 2

Henry, have you seen this:

http://www.bomberonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/The-Norm-Part-I.pdf

You're probably used to hard charging from all your previous experiences.  You likely have people telling you where to put your weight, your hands, where to look, etc.  Now your brain is filled with all this information that has you focusing away from the real fix.  

Forget all of that and go back to the bunny hill.  Tip the board, let it turn.  Repeat the other way.  You could sit on a snowboard like a sled and tip it up and it'll carve a turn.  The idea is initially going so slow that you don't have any need to skid to control your speed.  It's a mental block that many riders just can't break until they go back to basics.  Once you trust the edge to turn every time, go to a green run.  Then a blue, etc.  

Then, after that, go to this stage: http://www.bomberonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/The-Norm-Part-II.pdf

Don't forget that a little slide is ok too!  It's nice to be able to do both.  I'd hate to see someone do a perfect carve into a stump because they didn't want to skid!  

• Like 1

A big reason for coming out to Aspen is to try to shake this "carve monkey" I've got on my back. My carve is there but a 3 inch wide swath the needs to be trimmed into a pencil thin groove that I just really haven't been able to attain all year.

If by 'carve' in the second sentence, you mean you are creating an actual arced path, then the width of the track is probably the result of conflict between the board and the snow.

One possibility is that the board is bending unevenly from tip to tail. Most likely too much weight on the front foot.

Another option is that the board is twisting. Each end is trying to create it's own path.

Harmonious inputs yield harmonious outputs.

And also, adding to Cory's 'full-brain' comment:

The turn you want is already there, but if you try too hard, you won't find it.

This is touching on an aspect of human performance that I REALLY love - the connection between a mechanical device and a human that comes with practice and comfort.  When I'm snowboarding, I don't imagine my inputs acting on my boots, traveling through my bindings, and into the board.  In my head, it's me that's cutting the snow, with the board as an extension of my body that's as much a part of me as my fingertips are, and I can change my path with how and where I bend it.  I get the same feeling driving a car on a closed race course.  My fingertips and butt/back feel the tires slithering across the surface, scrambling for traction as if they were actually touching the ground.  It's a glorious feeling where the rest of the world disolves into unimportance. 

However, put a golf club in my hand, and I only feel the grip and that there's something going on down there with the ball, if I hit it at all.  I'm terrible at golf and have no mental connection with the club face.  Or, am I terrible at golf as I have no connection to the club face?  Hours spent working the very basics of a golf swing would help immensely.  Playing a world-class golf course wouldn't help me in the slightest as I'd be distracted by the course and how beautiful/challenging it was.  Only problem, I don't really love golf so I don't want to invest those hours. 

Watch someone who's good with a slalom skateboard, a skid steer, a wood-carving knife, a hockey stick, anything, and you can bet that they feel the wheels slithering on the edge of traction, the blade scraping/shaping the earth, the wood shavings being stripped away, the puck, etc. as if it were their own fingertips doing the work.  That's pretty darn cool! 

Go do some easy turns on a bunny hill to get back to the basics and make the board an extension of your body, to the point that you can blend between a carve and a slide and back to a carve at will and can change the radius by tilting the board more or less.  Then move to more complicated things.  Have fun, it's a great feeling! 

• Like 3