Note to New Members ×

should we ban outside linking sales in classified

west carven

Should Outside Links Be allowed in Classified?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Should Outside Links Be allowed in Classified?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't care

I generally post stuff here, and if it doesn't move I send it to ebay and modify my add here. I've sold stuff to Bomber members that way. I'm ok with a policy change, but I don't think the outside adds hurt. I know I've benefited from finding gear out of my area from other folks postings.

If the mods or admin have noticed a problem, I'm certainly open to change, but I'm not sure I've noticed anything that threatens the community.

Edited by Mr.E

should we ban outside linking sales in classified?

I don't have a strong feeling one way or another, but I've posted links to Craigslist sales I've found here locally - never mine - that other BOLers have craftily taken advantage of. The alternative would be buying it myself and re-selling it on the classifieds here, which I wouldn't do anyway.

I'm not a fan of linking adds on this forum.

I'm of the belief that this is a community, and a fairly small one at that. I've bought and sold here and it's been a great experience both ways. Bomber has been kind enough to provide this forum and I respect that by doing my selling here first. Outside links do not support this community and I do have a problem with that. I do not have a problem with linking non-member ads found elsewhere as a heads up to this community - again this adds to the community that is Bomber. If after posting your items and they don't sell in a couple of weeks I can understand going to a larger market and posting a last chance link here.

Another of my favorite forums has many rules designed to facilitate the buying and selling of equipment (I'll add that it is more expensive stuff than here). Posts get nuked for having links or missing required information like price and location. This forum seems to self-regulate better than most so I'm not sure we need to get that strict.

Ultimately this is up to the forum owner.

Edited by bruincounselor

I like when members guide me to links to Craigslist or Ebay that may or not be listings from other members.  Why not increase the size of the pool?

I agree 100%.

Carving gear is hard enough to find as it is, why make it harder.

Even those ppl who may be just using BoL to unload gear...so what, at least the gear is ending up back in our community.

I feel better buying from someone with 2 posts on BoL via ebay than via email; at least you have some protection and can see their feedback rating.

This forum self regulates from a price perspective very well:

-Good deals go lightening fast.

-Overpriced gear sits and the seller usually gets called out on the high price.

-Known sellers with good reputations gear moves faster and commands a premium price (Big Canuck, Oldsnowboards,Shred etc)

I just don't see how this harms our community

• Like 1

I actually don't mind, I don't mind if its in both places,,, but I usually never link.. that way if it sells off of BOL I'll give a little break in the price or shipping.   But I do agree that buying off of Ebay is way more comfortable and streamline ect.  Don't like the fees though!! 

Im usually cautious to whom I sell to.. if I haven't heard of you or your new...I'll get nervous.   I eliminate all this by selling to Canuck Insane Boards LLC.  Ha...(;-))

RSS

I'm one of the people enforcing the rules, and I'll do whatever the owners want either way.  My personal thought is that I don't care much, unless someone is clearly abusing the system.  If we suddenly have someone posting 20+ individual eBay links to equipment, that could be annoying.  One or two - go for it.  

If it's new equipment, I'll nuke the post as per the rules.  New equipment cuts into Bomber's sales, and they're paying for the site.  I suspect one lost new-board-sale would pay for a few months of hosting, not to mention the comically-high wages us moderators make.  It's only fair and respectful to limit sales to used gear.  

• Like 3

howdy

well if i wanted to google something in ebay i google ebay...

i dont want to bother with ebay stuff when i look in our classfied.

if you gonna post here sell here. tired of getting my hopes up then

find its ebay crap. this is our classfied and if you dont want to

sell here then dont post your ebay crap here.

I believe we regulate quite well.  The Bosses lay out the rules , they have worked for many years.  If they need change the membership can discuss but keep it in perspective.  More traffic is generally a good thing.  There are definite pros and cons to each of the venus.   I think that it has reached a good balance.  Keep it kind. 

I should have clarified my point, they can still cross post as long as they make a proper sales thread here too. As in a thread with pics and specs of the board and a reasonable asking price. If it's on EBay then just pics and specs.

Honestly I'd rather have a link thread than none at all.

howdy allshould we ban outside linking sales in classified?our classified is for our community and if your listing on ebay or craiglistthen dont link your stuff on our classified. you are probably not a fellowcarver and just using bomber for a place to sell carving related stuff.

Hey West remind me to smack you with the WTF shirt when I get there ....what the he'll are you thinking...

Right said Shred.

• Like 2

howdy shred

smack me with medium as per usual... a community is loyal friends who come first.

if you sell something here you sell at a good price with known conditions at a fair price.

selling something to the highest bidder for something that may not be all that seems stupid.

this is a classified for us here at bomber. sell here or dont sell here...

I have used Facebook groups, bomber, Craigslist, etc... I most recently bought and sold via bomber and got to speak to a couple new bomber friends. One I have "horse traded" with via the free forum I have enjoyed so much and one that recently took over half the reigns here at Bomber by purchasing some upgrades and loose parts. Use don't abuse and always shop at Bomber.

• Like 1