Note to New Members ×

Can't stop looking at boards to buy

breeseomatic

I'm torn between a few boards.

The first one is the Donek Freecarve 167 extra wide.  I think that could be a really fun board, it's glass so I anticipate it will be a lot more poppy than my metal and p-tex top sheet Coilers.  It also has a shorter radius (10-12m) to what I will be riding most of the time.

The second board is a Volkl Coal Race 159.  There are not a lot of internet details on this board.  I had a Donek Saber 160 and I tried to ride it but it felt slow to transition and I just couldn't get the board to keep an edge.  Maybe it was me, maybe it was the board.  I still want to see if there is a soft boot board that can rip it up.  Right now top honors in the soft boot department is going to the Old Skool Steepwater Steep 164 and 171.

The third is buying back my original Coiler AM VSR XT.  Extra tight turns and a nice flex with a wide shovel allowed it to go all over the mountain.  It's slightly stiffer than my 171 VSR T AM and probably not as grippy as the 174 Nirvana vCam T+ that I have on order.  I'm not sure it would be anything more than wall dressing or a low tide/traffic carver.

Fourth is a NOS 2013 F2 Speedster 175 World Cup.  F2 is pretty under represented in the states, It would be interesting to ride.  I have a 2007 F2 Silberpfeil that I absolutely love to ride.

Then there are the old school Burton Amp/Alps/Supermodels out there for $100, I could buy a couple and use one for easy carves when I'm cruising with my soft boot friends or girlfriend.

Gah! too much available credit on the Visa is driving me nuts.

I can't wait to compare impressions of the 174 Nirvana vCam T+ with you. Mine was just delivered a few weeks ago!

I also really love F2 stuff- had a glass Speedster 174 which was a blast to ride, but I wished it had metal to dampen some of the crud in the afternoons. The F2 Eliminator Worldcup metal BX board is still my favorite softboot board of all time.

I'm torn between a few boards.

The first one is the Donek Freecarve 167 extra wide.  I think that could be a really fun board, it's glass so I anticipate it will be a lot more poppy than my metal and p-tex top sheet Coilers.  It also has a shorter radius (10-12m) to what I will be riding most of the time.

The second board is a Volkl Coal Race 159.  There are not a lot of internet details on this board.  I had a Donek Saber 160 and I tried to ride it but it felt slow to transition and I just couldn't get the board to keep an edge.  Maybe it was me, maybe it was the board.  I still want to see if there is a soft boot board that can rip it up.  Right now top honors in the soft boot department is going to the Old Skool Steepwater Steep 164 and 171.

The third is buying back my original Coiler AM VSR XT.  Extra tight turns and a nice flex with a wide shovel allowed it to go all over the mountain.  It's slightly stiffer than my 171 VSR T AM and probably not as grippy as the 174 Nirvana vCam T+ that I have on order.  I'm not sure it would be anything more than wall dressing or a low tide/traffic carver.

Fourth is a NOS 2013 F2 Speedster 175 World Cup.  F2 is pretty under represented in the states, It would be interesting to ride.  I have a 2007 F2 Silberpfeil that I absolutely love to ride.

Then there are the old school Burton Amp/Alps/Supermodels out there for $100, I could buy a couple and use one for easy carves when I'm cruising with my soft boot friends or girlfriend.

Gah! too much available credit on the Visa is driving me nuts.

Did you see The Legacy, the new board that Sean just released?  If you want pop, the old school flex/camber profile is a hoot.

We are super stoked to be carrying it.  

http://bomberonline.3dcartstores.com/Donek-Legacy_p_285.html

Did you see the new board that Sean just released?  If you want pop, the old school flex/camber profile is a hoot.

"If you fell in love with carving more than 8 years ago and miss those non-metal boards, this is like going to your high school reunion and finding your crush is still single."

Love the description.  I may have to work some overtime to get into that board, I'll be bringing some extra cash to ATC.  I'm really interested in a demo.

"If you fell in love with carving more than 8 years ago and miss those non-metal boards, this is like going to your high school reunion and finding your crush is still single."

Love the description.  I may have to work some overtime to get into that board, I'll be bringing some extra cash to ATC.  I'm really interested in a demo.

Glad you like the quote.  Guess it's what I get for having my mom as a writer.  We have a 165 and a 175 to demo, so plan on doing some testing come February.

Re: Can't stop looking at boards to buy:  It's a sickness.  A fantastic sickness.  

It's fun trying different stuff.  I was looking for a 160-ish slalom board years ago.  Bruce said they were all out, so try this 182 Monster instead.  1/2-way down I knew I had to buy one.    

The Donek Legacy sounds awesome.  It's on my short-list, possibly to rise to the top after a demo ride... 

I just talked about the FreeCarve and Legacy lines with Sean the FC is softer this year vs previous years and the Legacy is something a bit different than the FC, but still a free carve board.  It sounds like they have a lot of new stuff this year.  I'm saving my dollars to buy something at ATC.  For some reason, a wide carver is something I can't get out of my head, now I'm looking at the Axxess.

I just talked about the FreeCarve and Legacy lines with Sean the FC is softer this year vs previous years and the Legacy is something a bit different than the FC, but still a free carve board.  It sounds like they have a lot of new stuff this year.  I'm saving my dollars to buy something at ATC.  For some reason, a wide carver is something I can't get out of my head, now I'm looking at the Axxess.

Joe-

The Axxess isn't a wide carver.  It's a do everything board.  I'm pretty sure you want a dedicated carver like the FC, Legacy, or Proteus.

Did you see The Legacy, the new board that Sean just released?  If you want pop, the old school flex/camber profile is a hoot.

It was only a matter of time until this occurred , very cool.  What was old is NEW again.  Fortunately I have a nice quiver of the old originals to work from too. 

I will be watching with interest in these developments. 

• Like 1

I tried an old Madd BX board that felt the same way--just not fun or responsive unless you were riding extremely fast. Wider waist widths plus shallow sidecuts and stiff flex (not sure if longitudinal or torsional is worse) can be a bear for softboots. I'm still amazed at how agile and carveable my growing Tanker fleet feels in comparison to most of the BX boards that I've tried.

Edited by scrapster

I ordered a stiff saber with 1/2 the rubber dampening. Also shortened up the side cut to 9-11 to feel more like a slalom deck. The result is a free-ride BX that I absolutely love. Stoked to have picked up a demo 167fc wide with a narrower waist at 23.5 and a slightly longer sidecut at 10.4-12.4. Going to be my Hardboot version of the BX.

Edited by slopestar

You mentioned volkl coal race xx limited world cup 159.. i find it one of the best sticks out there for utility work.. i ride mine even with plates and it surprisingly awesome so much so i was willing to part with my oxess bx before it.. im selling my mint shape at a ridiculous high price because i dont want to part, but every thing has a price they say... If it didn't work well for ya, it may just be operator error. I loned it out for a few runs just to make sure i wasnt dreaming... same feedback came as i witnessed the riding again with the person on hardboots and plates. Great fall back board to ride in and out of different conditions around the mountain.

Good luck..

You can mortgage your home for a one off custom Oxess.. or just go to Canada's finest board shop! Big Canucks of Alberta Canada.. great selection.

right said Franken Shred