Note to New Members ×

Awesome news Boyz! Its snowing a lot at Cypress, not quite as low as the viewpoint, but pretty low!

There were already 5cm+ by 8:30am. It carried on strongly through the day and it shuld stay like that for few days :)

Grooming sucked, even park was left with freshies...

Vis was good, though.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It snowed more last night and today.

It might have rained a bit last evening, as there was a frozen layer under the few cm fresh. Much better grooming then yesterday.

I banged myself up in the park session, like never before when I only stuck to carving...

It was nice. Not very sticky low down and actually pretty dry at the Sky.

It's snowing like crazy again, apparently. Rain was shorter then I expected. I'm going tonight with Luka.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Lots of chowder came down in the early pm! It tapered off in the evening. No crowds at all. Wet but not too sticky snow everywhere. Nicely compacted by skiers on the flatter runs, to a fast grippy surface.

Hi there,

Carver from southern California coming your way next week, heading up to Whistler.  Sounds like its been wet and a little warm the last few weeks?  Bringing a 177 Nirvana but trying to figure out what else might be needed.

That's funny, you are heading here, while I'll be heading to Indian Wells, next week...

Contact the local crew, like CarvingScooby, CharlieChocolate and others, they like going to Whistler every now and then.

Besides the Nirvana, I'd bring that Khyber too (if your quiver list in profile is correct).

Hi there,

Carver from southern California coming your way next week, heading up to Whistler.  Sounds like its been wet and a little warm the last few weeks?  Bringing a 177 Nirvana but trying to figure out what else might be needed.

I don't know if you'll be there all week but Monday and Tuesday will be a bit snowy and starting on Wednesday (23rd) the hardpack conditions will be pretty much hero snow. After a day of skier and groomer packing with the cold temps (-10c) the groomed runs will be a veddy niice :)

Powwowwow, all day long :) 

The "spring forward" played the trick on everyone by the looks of it, no big crowds today at all! I couldn't believe it was a Sunday and pow...

I liked the sequence of the chair opening, freshies all day - only Eagle in the early am, then Lions, then Sky only in the pm.

Big crew: Patrick, Roy, Gary, Niles, B, Tony and his windsurfers, Joe from snow school decided to ride with us, Luka with ski club...

And another stellar day in making for tomorrow, it seems :)

We had absolutely beautiful snow today! Vis was only so-so... No crowd.

Both Panorama and JJA are in a really good shape for carving.

Ravens are open again after a longer period. Bottom is still a bit sketchy. Grooming not as good as on the rest of the mountain.

Didn't have time for the Lions chair...

It started snowing lightly again at about 9:30am.

That's it for me until the 26th... See you later boyz :)

Go for the Powder Mountain Cat Skiing. They have both heli and cats. Heli is too dependent on weather. Cat goes in any kind of weather and is half the price. We had 8+1 runs in a day, in December. Look at the Page3 of this thread for preview :)

http://forums.bomberonline.com/index.php?/topic/42009-vancouver-carvers-diaries-201516/page-3

Okay, I'll give them a look.  We're thinking about this coming Sunday 3/20 for a cat or heli.  I'll probably have to rent a powder board if it is deep out there.

Question, but kind of unrelated to alpine boarding, where do you guys recommend demoing a good pair of carving skis?  I am bringing ski boots along and will probably ski a day or two will out there as well to switch things up.

• 2 weeks later...

Last seven days were probably the longest and hottest period of constant spring conditions I've spent on snow. Super intense in physical and mental sense too. By the end of yesterday I was bearly able to stand on my feet... I've passed 2 of 3 modules - double the score then all 4 other participants combined. Tough. Ah well, I'm entitled to redo the 1/3 of the exam within next 2 years...

So, I gave myself a few days brake after the ordeal of L3 course... It was nice to be on the snow again this morning.
It's full spring conditions now. Crystalline slush, very hot, Rainbow and Bowen don't exist anymore, the rest is still holding, including steeps under Sky chair (mega moguls).

I remember now why I have sworn, ages ago, to always ski in a jacket... I wore only a shirt this morning and sure enough I found some solid frozen granular stuff, in the shades by lower Panorama. Skid mid carve, emergency EC and... road rush just like from skateboarding, on entire length of my left lower arm :(

I rode my new Garmont Shogun AT boots. That was interesting... almost like learning to snowboard again. With different flex, sole length and forward lean of new boots, the stance setup was all wrong. I fiddled with parts that I could and brought it to acceptable ride. Still need more toe lift in front.
The first impressions are promising. The flex is deeper then on my Dalbello and not necessarily much softer. The Vubram soles are very nice to walk around and seem to add a bit of dampness to the ride. Also boot seems to sit a bit better in the binding, making the sideways roll a bit less loose. I like the fit around my bonny ankles, no pressure points there. The cuffs are very tall. Close to 800g lighter, per boot.
On the down side, the toe box is narrow for me, I'd have to punch them a bit. Sole is a bit longer. Some extra padding for hill lift (I need that in every boot) is needed. I might have to ditch the cuff spoilers too.

Edited by BlueB

I was at sports junkies today looking at their AT boots. I almost pulled the trigger on a pair of Lowa's. I thought about the Garmont mega rides, too, cause they're really light.

Are you going to ski in those AT boots? What kept me from buying was that I'm unsure about the release in downhill bindings.

Ok, ok, I get it, I'll be the lab rat :) I'll try to ski them a bit on Sunday... Providing I have time to punch them first.

I had a pair of NOS Lowa Structuras? once upon a time. They looked absolutely stunning and were light, but the fit and heel lift was all wrong for my foot, so I sold them.

What drew me to these Shoguns is that the lockout plate mechanism is completely external and could easily be replaced with a home brewed spring mechanism. Not to sure if I'd bother, though. Front locked and rear in walk mode felt ok in slush.

Ok Patrick, I did 3 fast ski runs on the new boots - I'm still in one piece. The fwd angle and flex bothered me a bit, but it's not major.

It was a bit cooler day at Cypress, partially cloudy. Some runs were actually frozen in the am! No people.

Crew: Tony, Rod, B and Luka. We finished off after lunch.

Burgers on top of Lions were actually not free this year - $5 a piece... ah well...

I hate to say it, but I partially cracked my last Nidecker, at the same spot behind the rear binding :( I saw it yesterday while fiddling with the bindings, but still decided to give it a last go today. Rode like crap...

Maybe another weekday and the Slush Cup and that's it, boys...