Note to New Members ×

Boris,

Thanks so much for the daily hill condition updates- they are so much more accurate than the Cypress Mountain "fairy tales"  on their website with regards to mountain snow conditions.

Is it time to break out the rock boards again?

Much appreciated!

Yer pals,

Geo & Maya   :biggthump

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Geo, I'm on the hill right now. 5cm of fresh did nicely for the conditions on flatter runs. Grooming was good too, this morning. Today you can get away without rock board, unless you go to the steeper stuff. Unfortunately we'll have more rains starting tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Edited by BlueB

ugh. lots of rain & 12c in the city tomorrow. local mountains, why you disappoint me so? i get all stoked about snowboarding again, and then this. on the bright side, the snow on the north shore bike trails has all been rinsed away now. 

Can you spare the time and resources to hit up Whistler, instead? Was just up there, much better snow and lower freezing level. Patrol was doing avy control for much of the morning.

yeah, whistler certainly has the snow currently. hard to justify the $$ with a family in tow, though (we've got cypress passes), and it's always such a gong show in terms of crowds (if you're limited to weekends). heading up to silver star in a couple weeks; i like the interior & the relative lack of population. great carving terrain out there; fewer pylons makes it that much better. 

Wow, we've got compensated for all the rains! 30+ cm pow day and still puking :)

Rode with Patrick and Roy in the morning then we split. ..

Sky chair was the best, deaper and dryer then lower down. ATV 171 performed like a boss in deep snow. A bit cumbersome in the trees maybe...

A bit more after lunch, then home to sleep. .. I had only 2 hours last night.

Raven chair, which never opened yesterday, was in operation this morning. Hooray - freshies and steeps all morning! :)

Groomed runds had absolutely hero cord, too. The moisture content in yesterday's dump was just perfect. It's going to get even better tomorrow, I think.

Crew: Rod, Gary, Sasa, Zira, me with instructors first, later with the boyz :)

Still very hero conditions on all groomed runs :) Carving was poetry in motion. JJA had some softer snow from the guns. Visibility was mostly good, with one shorter foggy patch.

All black ravens are now a mix of moguls and heavy chunky crud.

Thursday had lots of wet snow right through the day.

Evening was very good - snow self compacted from heaviness and skiers going over it. Grippy and fast! Somewhat lumpy on steeper stuff bur stil doable.

• 2 weeks later...

Surprisingly good session at Cypress this morning. Drizzle stopped from 9 to 11:30, just enough for the instructor training and few freecarve/freestyle runs. Snow was water-laden but compact and pretty fast. Some messy spots later on. Raven side is pretty much destroyed, though. Panorama, Collins, JJA/RIcker and Humpty were very carvable, though. Moguls on Rainbow and some sketchy spots.

We need more snow.

We went to Seymour today for Luka's ski race. He won both of his PS heats but didn't end up on podium in overall comp.

It snowed like crazy in the pm. I hope some of that stuff ended at Cypress too!

It was nice to see a high speed lift at Seymour!

My "new" Virus skis carve like beasts :)

Edited by BlueB

Absolutely wonderful day at Cypress! :) A bit of wet fresh last night plus good grooming, plus sunshine in the morning, what better a carver can wish for? It even snowed a little bit, mid-morning.

I had a session with instructors first, then 2 hour private with JJ, transitioning to hard boots this season.

Other crew: Sasha, Zira, Gary, Enrico...

You all missed out on good west coast chowder :)

I pretty much had Lions chair for myself, snow filling the tracks within one lap. Did Bowen face mostly, but also Gibson, Moons, Slash, Rainbow, Humpty, Midway and all the random trees in between. Saw Patrick at lunchtime. He did Eagle and seemed to have had much chopper conditions then me on the Lions...

Lower parts of the runs were very sticky, though...

On the bright side, the snow will continue for many days. Bigest snowfall, guess when - March 1st! :)

Our session started only after lunch today, just in time for morning fog to disperse! Even sun came out for a short while. Sky chair was a hoot, as it never opened yesterday. Lowest parts of the mountain were sticky and slushy, but snow is holding good. Temp never got too high either.

We'll see if we get another dump tomorrow, or that damn r... word.

Horrible day today :(

Poor vis, poor grooming (not full width of the runs), extremely sticky "fresh" snow on ungroomed parts. After 2 runs I called the session off, as unsafe. We ended up in the classroom analyzing diagrams and riding videos...

Morning was pretty good until 10:30-11am on groomed runs. Fog dispersed and sun came out. Not many people at all. Non-groomed runs were heavy and sticky, though.

Later it all slushed up...

Crew: Boris, Luka, Zira, all on skis