Note to New Members ×

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice training session with first group of instructors... They seemed to be hapy. Next group tomorrow.

Some fresh over harder snow below, medium vis. Pretty quick accumulation...

No crowds what so ever. I saw Rod and shared one ride up the chair.

Uh, almost forgot - I had a close encounter with a big out of control SUV coming dow the hill this morning. Uncontrolled sliding over all tree lanes, both ways, then ended up in the ditch after missing my car. 2 seconds quicker and he would have hit me, for sure.

Brite sunny day today, but more people (still not too many)... Wettish packed groom in the am, a bit softer by lunch.

I spotted Patrick on Coiler, spying on my session :)

Morning drive was a disaster, total collapse of N1 from COquitlam to North Shore. 2 hours in the car :(

I brough Luka for his evening ski training. Nice clear night, but supper crappy "suggar on ice" conditions. Combine that with a dull edge = scatchy edge hold...

After just 2 runs, I was coming very slowly to the lift line an just as I was stopping, a 10 year kid came down bombing from my blind side and hit me into the back of my boots. Both feet up in the air, boom, onto the back of my head, right in front of shocked head coach of the ski club and Sasha. I was borderline to losing my consciousness and struggled for few seconds to get up... After that I decided to sit it out at the club rooms and wait for Luka to finish. Thanks goodness for the helmet, it made the difference between a ruined evening and a trip to Lyons Gate Hospital...

Anyways, I'm not feeling nauseated or too much headache this morning. Live, to ride another day.

Very nice session with Patrick in the AM. We shared a chair ride with Scoob and Tony, but I believe they left early...

Sunny morning has brought out a crazy crowd. We managed to have some piece (and decent snow) on the Raven, for a while.

In the pm, I enjoyed the sun and no linups, at Midway. Gosh, I missed that chair for the last 2 years! It's always the carvers last retreat and safe heaven...

Mix of snow and rain in the am, very sticky in higher elevations, more slick lower down. Later it turned into rain only :(

I stoped the session earlier and retreated to the hut yo present dome diagrams. ..

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

What threatened to be a foggy day, turned out to be pretty nice. Fast, somewhat granular, semi-hard packed on Collins, was perfect for my carving drills with instructors. Later we thought that Midway looked smooth and groomed and Rainbow looked pretty good, so we went for it. Oh, horrors! Rainbow had the settled down chop, half frozen, half melting. Midway actually had the weekend groom, that was in the rain and sun in the mean time, solidified as a rock. Great way to finish the session ;)

After my session, we asked Mel for a quick park session. I did my first Cab 1 (switch take-off, frontside 180 spin, forward landing), over a medium sized jump and stuck the landing perfectly! :)

Hey everyone, I'm new here and new to hard-boot as of last winter (only got to ride once as I stumbled upon the Aspen event but absolutely loved it). I will be in Whistler Jan 20-25 and I would love to rent or borrow or buy (used) someone's setup. And it would be cool to ride with someone if anyone is interested. Also, any advice is very welcome, whether its the best board or bindings or runs, etc. Also, are ski boots adequate?

Hi Jordan and welcome!

Are you a local or visiting?

I have lots of gear and teach alpine at Cypress. It would be easy if you could ride at Cypress on the 20th, on your way to Whistler... or any other day if you were local.

Anyways, for more info you can contact me at

Boris at blueb dot biz

or

Six04 six57 five733

On arrival we had some heavy rain. 20 min later that turned into a blizzard of wet snow. Windy too. Of course, not very many people at all. The wetness of the snow was keeping it compact and very nice for carving. Crazy Raven was definitely the run of the day! OES Sputnik carved like a beast.

Saw Tony very briefly...

At lunch time it turned back to rain, Luka's club cancelled the pm training, so we headed back home...

Today was dry, snow was good for carving, but visibility was poor...

The tall trees around Humpty (non groomed) and Crazy Raven (nicely groomed) made those 2 runs good to ride.

After the training session, I hooked up with Gary for few laps. We left some good trenches at the Raven. Gary is doing nice progress on 2 plank carving.

I had a most awkward switch jump with failed rotation and landing - somehow ended up being of-axis and landed on my back, right between shoulder blades. Ouch! Took me a minute, or so, to re-establish proper deep breathing. Stubborn as I am, I did another lap and landed the same jump :)

We started on slightly harder snow this morning, with some low hanging clouds.

However, on steep runs and in the trees there were some wet freshies from last night.

Later it snowed for about an hour, then the sun came out and runs softened...

After instructors session, Gary took 2 hour private. He made really nice progress!

I saw 2 elderly gentlemen on alpine gear, but they were not interested in conversation....

Edited by BlueB

This weekend we did Saturday instead of Sunday. Lots of ice, sugar, poor grooming. .. lots of damage from rains too. Bottom of Crazy Raven is pretty much non existent now...

Midway was in the best shape and least crowd, as usual.

Scooby and Tony were there too.