Note to New Members ×

2015 - 2016 Ottawa Valley Carvers

Hilux

Hey! Hope everyone had a great summer! Somebody got me thinking snow so I figured I'd start the thread to see where others are thinking of buying a pass this year...and just to start talking about carving!  

Last year the Ottawa carvers seemed dispersed compared to the last couple seasons (maybe it was just me think_smiley_09.gif)  but we still got some great sessions in. Either way, looking forward to sharing some turns and having some laughs! happy-smiley01.gif

Who would get you thinking about snow? And so early in the year? That wasn't very nice!

And you beat me to starting the Ottawa thread ! Sigh ...

I am planning Cascades because the pass is five days / seven nights ... and I can go during the day!

Unrelated, looking at cheap Tremblant tickets too ... we should plot a road trip! Will keep everyone posted.

Looking forward to seeing everyone on the slopes and letting you all laugh at me.

I'm leaning towards the Gatineau Ski Patrol pass again that Johnny found last year. No info on their website yet for it though.

I started fussing with the gear two weeks ago. I am so ready for some snow.

From a pass perspective it does not matter to me where we do our Tuesdays (or whatever night we choose).

From a riding perspective; my preference would be. 

1-Edelweiss

2-Vorlage

3-Cascades

4-Fortune

//Paul

Who would get you thinking about snow? And so early in the year? That wasn't very nice!

And you beat me to starting the Ottawa thread ! Sigh ...

I am planning Cascades because the pass is five days / seven nights ... and I can go during the day!

Unrelated, looking at cheap Tremblant tickets too ... we should plot a road trip! Will keep everyone posted.

See here for $49.99 days at Tremblant; http://www.tremblant.ca/en/ski-and-golf/ski-tickets-and-passes/tickets-and-offers/latitude-card.aspx?utm_source=eloqua&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=TR-15-WI-DL-EM-Renouvellement%20automne%20H16-%20RS_PH_E5_E.html

Although at the Ski & Snowboard show, you'll still be able to buy a Sublime pass for $419, they'll probably have the T66 for $249 as well and maybe discounted days. That's if it's the same as last year. I got Sublime passes for the GF and I, but I'm not sure how many days we'll get there.

I may be interested in a group pass deal for riding.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

I am still going with the Cascade pass because I can get there days on the same pass. The joys of being self employed = more days on the hill. The pain of being self employed = less money to buy multiple passes. If everyone decides on a different night of the week and a different hill, I could be tempted. Maybe we should move around this year and try different places? Mix it up a bit ... heck; maybe Packenham needs the pleasure of hosting us one evening.

Is anyone planning on head to SOS, SES (renamed Aspen Trenchin' Convention) or ECES?

• 3 weeks later...

Hey folks.  Anyone make any commitments yet?  I'm still thinking Edelweiss but need at least 2 people to take advantage of their $99 for 99 evenings. It prompts you to add a "guest" if you want the deal.  If anyone is interested let me know.  

Otherwise Cascades is looking a little more inviting now that they've got a brand new quad; not sure if it's a detachable but hey, better than that double-death-trap-accident-waiting-to-happen.  Still like the terrain a little better at Edelweiss...

Hey folks.  Anyone make any commitments yet?  I'm still thinking Edelweiss but need at least 2 people to take advantage of their $99 for 99 evenings. It prompts you to add a "guest" if you want the deal.  If anyone is interested let me know.  

Otherwise Cascades is looking a little more inviting now that they've got a brand new quad; not sure if it's a detachable but hey, better than that double-death-trap-accident-waiting-to-happen.  Still like the terrain a little better at Edelweiss...

I'd be in for Edelweiss group $99 with you.

I will probably get Cascades pass too.

Gatineau Ski Patrol unlimited pass was not offered this year  :mad:

@Loopback: I noticed the other day that when you "add guest", it's referring to your own profile.  So it's not a group thing and you can get them individually!  Woo, got my Edel pass.  Will definitely hit up Cascades the occasional night too.

That's too bad about the Ski Patrol pass.  That was an amazing deal.

Edited by Hilux

Fashionably late as  always. Sadly, the only time people use my name, and fashion, in the same thought.

I'm not going to purchase a pass this year at any of the QC hills, I basically just break even with them most years anyway, I'll pay as I go. However, I still have a Pak pass, and will probably be at Calabogie a fair bit.

I would still like to meet up with the carvers as much as possible, so pick a night, and pick a hill, advertise it, and I'll do my best to be there as much as possible!

On the down side, I sadly joined the real world and have a 9-5, Gov job.

So no more 40+ days on the hills for me...  :(  

• 3 weeks later...

A friend of mine was at Mt Blanc over the weekend. He said five runs were open and that it was better than expected ... but he skis on a hill smaller than Vorlage, so really I am not sure what the comparison is.

I also heard someone skinned up Fortune and their review was that the conditions are spring like. I think some of the hills are open, but only a run or two - and the base isn't good.

I am hurting to get out there.

In north west of quebec last few days ....rain , rain and rain.....it's been almost 2 weeks that hills haven't made any snow and only few are open on week days. Spring conditions with a soft base. Warm temp forecasted next week as well.....crappy winter so far ....

• 2 weeks later...

In province of Quebec, there is no snow in the eastern townships or in the laurentians.
If you want to ride you have to go east, conditions are minimal in Quebec but great in "le bas du fleuve"
Mont Comi has 28 runs open on 30, Val D'Irene has received 33 inches in the last week. That's where my in laws live...and I'm visiting them for Xmas!

Edited by Surf Quebec

Hi all I am still around and looking forward to riding a few times with the gang, although work is crazy busy.

After Gilbert's 2014 ECES incident, he still seems highly reluctant to ride again. If anything he may try a softer form of hard boots and bindings and an All mountain board,which I have for him. NO more full out race boards for him.

I'll keep posted to see were you all are.

Peter V 

Hi Everyone,

Was itching to get out....went to Mont Ste Marie today.

Save your money. They seem to have forgotten how to groom. Rocks and weird snow shelves everywhere!

The 3 runs that were open were basically 2/3 width. 

Hopefully with the warmer(but still sub-zero) temps things will soften up and grooming will improve.

Might try again next week but.......

James