Note to New Members ×

Canada US Exchange

lowrider

Recent exchange rates are killing my chance of buying us based goods.  With the coming season can anyone recommend resorts that offer Canadians exchange at par ? I know Jay Peak has in the past but was wondering if any resort has targeted Canadians for the coming season ?  For anyone thinking about coming north your dollar gets you $ 1.30 Canadian.

Or just get used to exchange rates? You're always, always going to get a lousy rate if you buy currency at a resort. The internet is a good way to find the best rates. If you're using a credit card and they ask you if you want to pay in your "home currency", then the answer needs to be "no thanks", because their rate is never better than the rate the card will give you directly, unless you have a very bad card.

I hedged some currency into CAD last season... so this season I win because things are cheaper, but not as much cheaper if I'd not done the hedge. You can't win them all.

Whitefish is on my return soon list. Went there via Toronto, Calgary, Castlegar,  Nelson and a hell of a drive. An excellent Mt. great lifties ( very friendly ) . Shred gave me a very nice tour. Saving my pennies to buy that nice Stone shack at the top of the old chairlift another 100 years and i'll be close ! Powderking a close second and it too is a hike to get to. Hope the west gets some snow this season.

• 1 month later...

Jay peak still does it but as long as you pay cash if I am not mistaken.    Yeah, I've been seeing a few boards go by that I would have been interested in.   Best is to fill up your paypal account right now... start selling all the junk you have at home in US$ on ebay.  

Time for the US people to buy Coiler, Prior and Apex plates at this rate.. like an instant 30% discount.  

Recent exchange rates are killing my chance of buying us based goods.  With the coming season can anyone recommend resorts that offer Canadians exchange at par ? I know Jay Peak has in the past but was wondering if any resort has targeted Canadians for the coming season ?  For anyone thinking about coming north your dollar gets you $ 1.30 Canadian.

I am still remembering the "Good ole days" when this was pretty standard.  Like Shred mentioned. 

Thats why im going to canadia..sun peaks, banff perhaps.. exchange rate back to the good old days...

It has been YEARS since I road tripped into Canada.  It may be time again!!

I've been running out of ideas about where to go next, so perhaps I should consider doing a season at Sun Peaks or Sunshine Village?  I think that an American can stay in Canada for 6 straight months as a tourist.  I'd have to research the details of car/health insurance, driving a U-Haul into Canada, etc. 

If you are primarily interested in carving, I wouldn't recommend Sunshine.  Sun Peaks is better.  Another good one is Big White.  You could get a condo on the hill in both cases, which you can't do with Sunshine.  Alternately you can stay in town (Kamloops and Kelowna respectively) and have a 45 minute drive to the hill.  Kelowna is better in that case because you also have the options of Silverstar and Apex.

Sun Peaks is a fantastic carving hill, and pretty big. That would be an infinitely better place to spend a season. But talking with a couple of friends who've relocated or looked into it recently, the rental market in Kamloops is pretty hot right now.