Note to New Members ×

is my board damaged?

Hunter

I was pulling my burton ultra prime out of summer storage, and I noticed two hairline cracks in the top sheet. They don't appear to go deeper than the glossy top layer. As far as I can tell, they were caused by one of the screws on my binding that pushed on the topsheet. Is this damage going to affect the board in any serious way, or is it just cosmetic damage?

Hard to say at this remote location without a picture, but fix the problem that caused the screw to hit the topsheet (grind some off of the length) and then just keep an eye on the crack. Worst case? Water gets in the crack, freezes and splits the crack open even wider. Maybe a bit of epoxy to seal the crack from possible water entry would not be a bad idea. Maybe clear nail polish even. Just keep an eye on it.

Guest Randy S.

I had a Factory Prime from the late 90's that had tons of hairline cracks in the clearcoat near the nose. It didn't seem to affect the ride of the board. My O-Sin 4807 has some similar cracks (these go longituninally, not laterally). Of note: I've never put a crack in any of my Donek boards. And the new topsheet material on the Doneks is nice.

Guest Todd Stewart

Trust me, it's not cosmetic. Burton will say it is, but its not. The same thing happened to my ultra prime couple years back, it started out just on the top sheet then went all the way into the core. The board is now just a glossy piece of firewood. My advice is to dump it as soon as possible and get a new ride.