Note to New Members ×

WTF 2016

snowreport: tue mar 08, 2016

howdy all

got to the baselodge and the first person I see is Smilin'Dave with his family. sorry

​dave for the ice rink, today was much cooler and the groom was very hardpack and

​the clouds kept it hard all day. snowed a little in the mid morning and the sun was

​trying to come out later in the afternoon, but the groom stayed hard. was going to

​wait for things to soften up, but it never did. took it easy and just cruised around.

​yesterday an older skier bill fell and was unconscious for awhile and cut on his head

​and got med-vac'ed out then later that night at dinner his heart stopped, but he is ok.

​another guy skiing with friends and showing them around just standing then fell down

and blacked out. conditions here are very dangerous, just sliding on pure hardpack.

​rode the 157fp from 9 till 2...

snowreport: fri mar 11, 2016

howdy all

worked in the morning got on snow at 12:30pm it was bluebird all morning and

when I got there. snow was already getting soft then by 2pm a lite cover of clouds

starts to build and by 3pm a little thicker and lighting gets flat and gets cooler.

some spots better than others and made some good turns so it was a fun day.

its been spring skiing for awhile and I don't think we will see any good snow.

already thinking of putting away some boards and getting the paddle boards out.

rode the 157fp from 12:30 till 4...

snowreport: sat mar 12, 2016

howdy all

thought it was going to be a short day with what looked like a very foggy village.

took my time and thought it was going to be icy hard, but it was just right early on.

it was foggy just below chair 2, but it was nice and carveable. the top was really

foggy, but we know where to go and just fly down to where we can see and start

to carve. the snow had the right amount of moisture in it to hold it together. it was

like a nice soft snow carving day, but it was the spring skiing snow. the temps was

just right and carving was good all day. I went to lunch after 1pm and it must have

rain/snowed as the people that came in was wet and snow covered. then it got wet

just before 3pm as I left. it was a good carving day and not many people for a saturday.

made a lot of good turns the first couple hours on ed's run then a lot later on toni matt.

had a really fun day...

rode the 157fp from 9 till 3pm...

snowreport: mon mar 14, 2016

howdy all

kinda busy for a Monday, big mountain reported 4 inches of new snow and that

brought them out. high clouds just above the big and vis was good. must have

dumped early cause there was 3 inch over groom on toni matt on one side and

the other half was no snow on the groom. the groom was hardpack ice and the

new snow was soft, today was colder and kinda windy. the pow was fun, but the

groom wasn't the best, soft in places and hard in others. just crusing around and

trying not to get hurt. forecast is more snow and cooler the next few days...

rode the 157fp from 9 till 1...

snowreport: tue mar 15, 2016

howdy all

a half inch of snow here in town this morning and big mountain reported 3 inches

in the village and summit. the snow fell after the frontside was groomed and it was

dumping all morning and at least 4 plus inches on the summit at opening. it was

really good pow and should have brought the softies, but still had fun on hardboots.

after it got cut-up you could still carve thru the bumped piles then after my break

about 12pm it got wet and heavy and wasn't fun anymore so called it at 1pm.

the early stuff was really good and it wasn't very busy, I didn't have to wait in the

liftline. today was a powder day that was long over due. forecast is more snow the

next couple of days then a warm weekend.

snowreport: fri mar 18, 2016

howdy all

i'm sure wednesday was good with the new snow and Thursday was bluebird so I thought

it's going to be firm today, but it was bluebird all morning and thought it would be slushy, but

today was much cooler so when I got on snow about 12:30pm. rode chair 6 (the bunny hill)

and was amazed at the conditions, tried a new to me 160tomahawk so took a run to test it.

after a few turns on the bunny hill I knew this was a good board and fits my style, the snow

was perfect and just right. did a bunch of runs on ed's then a few on toni matt then tried

ptarmigan bowl, but it was kinda firm, but a few runs later it was good. I was surprised to see

johnasmo carving and also saw a guy and a girl leaving with alpine boards, but didn't see um

carving. forecast is a warm weekend then a slight cool down next week... today was super fun...

rode the 160tomahawk from 12:30 till 4...

snowreport: sat mar 19, 2016

howdy all

another bluebird day and colder temps. took my time in the morning cause I knew

it would be firm and get better later in the day. did a frontside run to check it out and

it was very firm so went to the backside and did bunch of runs. the snow back there

was very good, but getting busy as there was a boardercross race. the front was getting

good by noon and got better as the day went on. today was a great carving day, but a very

busy one with lots going on and just a beautiful day so everyone was out. carving gets

really good between 1pm and 3pm. johnasmo, dreadman, skwalguy and rossi mike was

tearing up the place with their gs carving and me doing slalom. today was a super fun day...

forecast is a nice sunday then rain all week...

rode the 160tomahawk from 9:30 till 4...

snowreport: mon mar 21, 2016

howdy all

foggy all morning and the snow didn't set-up, but it was still crunchy and got soft

and didn't hold very well when it got slushy. back to the spring crud, carved o.k.,

but made a crunchy noise and didn't sound good. fog was moving in and out very

fast and very thick at times. I was tired and my old body was sore so took it easy

and called it early. not the best day anyways... forecast is rain/snow Tuesday and

all week then a nice weekend...

snowreport: tue mar 22, 2016

howdy all

what a horrible day, it was much cooler and the snow never got soft.

it was hardpack all day with chickenheads and crunchy snow and the

frontside was polished ice and very dangerous. just took it very easy

and waited for something to happen like a warm-up or some snow to come

from the south. we got a little about 11:30am , but very little came in.

it was survival mode just trying not to get hurt. it was cooler and I

don't think it got soft at all... why was up there so long...

rode the 157fp from 9 till 1pm...

snowreport: sat mar 26, 2016

howdy all

foggy top of 2 and above then slowly lifts by noon. snowed the last

three days, but I had to work, guess it was creamy powder and today

it was very uneven grooming with all that new snow. very funky snow

and not the best day. needs a few more grooming days to smooth it out.

got a dental appointment on Monday in the middle of the day so probably

will miss a good day. made a few good turns, but not the best...

rode the 165amt from 9 till 3...

snowreport: tue mar 29, 2016

howdy all

bluebird all day, good groomers in the morning till noon then things get soft and slushy

by the end of the day. stayed on chair 2 for a couple of hours and it was getting warm

so went to the top just to cool down. took my break then did a few on the backside then

lapped the frontside and even did a couple down the face as the snow got soft. there

was a good wind on the summit all day and it felt nice and cool, today was a warm one

and I got a little suntan. didn't go up yesterday cause I had a dental appointment and

missed a 4 inch plus powder day. oh yeah, Saturday johnasmo got hit by a snowboarder

just pass the bench on toni matt, scraped his bindings, broked off a boot ladder, hit him

in the chest and knocked the wind out of him as he was making a toeside turn. lucky

his shoulder was o.k. and he kept on riding... forecast is a warm up by next week...

rode the 165amt from 9 till 4...

snowreport: sat apr 02, 2016

howdy all

the last couple of days was bluebird and the freeze/thaw is in full swing. today was a beautiful

bluebird morning with some bad grooming from yesterdays afternoon slush. so cruised around

and took it easy, but it didn't take long to soften up cause it was really warm. about 10:30am it

got just soft enough to hold an edge and the groom seem to get better than it got really good

and by 12:30pm it was getting too soft. I was feeling hot so called it at 1pm. I went for a paddle

on Friday after work and saw a lot of pike so I left early to go fish. as I started to paddle the wind

picked up and made it tough to fish, but I caught a good size one so it was a great day of boarding

and fishing. oh yeah, it was bluebird till noon than mostly cloudy, it was really warm and I was

in my t-shirt and shorts... really good carving for a little while... fish from 3 till 6...

snowreport: mon apr 04, 2016

howdy all

cloudy with some dark clouds and looked like it could rain at anytime, but it was rain/snow

all around and finally about noon we got a lite drizzle. I was surprised by how much the snow

changed from Saturday, Saturday was pretty good for a little while and conditions looked

nice all around. Sunday was bluebird all day and very warm, I worked in the morning and

after work going home everyone was in t-shirts and shorts. the warm temps really beat-up

the snow and it was brown and there was a lot of bare spots showing. forecast is a cooler

Tuesday then a warm-up by Friday, their calling for temps about 78 degrees then a slight

cool down by the weekend... today, just cruised around on hard spring corn...

rode the 157fp from 9 till 12...

snowreport: tue apr 05, 2016

howdy all

what a surprise when I woke up and big mountain reported 4 inches of pow.

knew there would be the hard pack underneath so still brought the hardboots.

point and shoot kinda morning and just flew over the soft pow, small turns and

felt bottomless, but turn hard and felt the hard pack then after it got pushed around

it was soft in places then hard pack and very inconsistent. after 12pm the bottom

of the hill got soft and it was carvable and could carve thru the soft push piles, but

it was getting hot so called it at pm... surprise powday, a little cooler early...cloudy...

snowreport: fri 08, 2016

howdy all

had to work in the morning, but got on snow about 12:30pm. today got to 74 degrees

in town and it was really warm on the hill. people on the hill getting crazy, a few in bikini

some in shorts, crazy outfits, everyone having fun. I was a few hours too late as the

snow was already soft down low, but the top was still good and made some good turns.

up by the pond was good and for some reason under chair 5 was good longer maybe

cause not many people go thru there. did a couple backside just to cool down and it

was really sticky, but carved good on the steeper parts. I left at 3pm and the bottom

of toni was huge piles of slush. made some good turns so it was a good day...

rpde the 157fp from 12:30 till 3...

snowreport: sat 09, 2016

howdy all

ditto as yesterday, but was there first thing in the morning and it was already soft.

today a bit warmer and it was 76degrees in town. we are losing snow really fast

and the few late dumps we had really helped us make it till the end. this past week

of warm temps made for a really fun spring skiing, but would have loved cooler temps

and great carving conditions. well, another o.k. season as it was too warm and very

inconsistent. wtf16 wasn't the best conditions, hopefully next year is cooler all season.

my average vertical is down this year, but I think it's from riding my smaller boards all

the time... today was fun... watch a little pond skimming at the end of the day...

rode the 157fp from 9 till 4...

snowreport: sun apr 10, 2016

howdy all

took the day off so I could enjoy the last day of the season. another beautiful bluebird

day. spent the morning with angry rick and took it easy and did some backside runs.

the grooming was horrible from yesterdays super warm afternoon. huge bowling ball

size chunks in the middle of the runs on the lower mountain. ed's run had dirt patches

showing and water flowing. it has been bluebird since Wednesday and record warm

temps all week and I don't think we could have made it another week, we just barely

made it. today was a little cooler with a good wind. well, another season has come to

an end and i'm kinda glad as my old body felt a little worn. not the best snow overall

as we got too warm and not enough cold days. we did have a great powder week just

before Christmas and snow just when we needed it. rode hard this year and many

good powder days and a lot of good carving so it was a great season. rode 69 days

riding 1,404,295 feet and ranked 42 overall.

post-955-0-48311000-1460390863_thumb.jpg

post-955-0-36191500-1460390872_thumb.jpg

post-955-0-36573100-1460390881_thumb.jpg

post-955-0-56716500-1460390886_thumb.jpg

post-955-0-22665600-1460390908_thumb.jpg

post-955-0-90837800-1460390917_thumb.jpg

post-955-0-14093300-1460390924_thumb.jpg

post-955-0-83124300-1460390933_thumb.jpg

post-955-0-61327600-1460390942_thumb.jpg

post-955-0-66162700-1460390950_thumb.jpg

post-955-0-58044300-1460390962_thumb.jpg

post-955-0-62437600-1460390971_thumb.jpg

snowreport: sun apr 10, 2016

howdy all

oh yeah! wasn't as busy as yesterday. everybody in a good mood...

rode the 157fp from 9 till 3...

so a good story... this guy ken jones skied as a kid, but life got in the way and hasn't

skied for 20 plus years. so he comes from Nebraska and decides to take a winter off

and ski here and be the new vertical king. skied every day all day and skied all night

when there's night skiing. well, the last Friday of the season he gets hit by a young

skier and his right ankle swells up. he was 16 thousand short of 8 million vertical feet,

but his determination didn't stop him. he rode with his swollen ankle in his unbuckled

boot and made over 8 million on Saturday. then he rode Sunday just to finish the

season. all totaled he rode 8,058,144 vertical feet. this feat will stand for a very long time.

good job ken jones, "you the man" and his 52nd birthday was April 10th...

• 4 weeks later...

snowreport: mon may 09, 2016

howdy all

last night rained hard and very windy, power went out about midnight. today a

lite dusting on the big about mid ed's and up. very cold and a little windy, maybe

in the low 50's. we had some really nice warm weather and are kinda spoiled,

it's like summer time without the crowds. this warm weather is not good for our

fire season. the fire up north in Fort McMurray, Alberta is huge and about 20%

of the homes were destroyed in the fire and it is still raging. had some good

paddling and not so good fishing, but it's nice just to relax on my days off...

hope you guys are recovering from some hard carving...

• 2 weeks later...

snowreport: mon may 23, 2016

howdy all

well, it's been cold and rainy and windy for a couple weeks now and not having

much fun. good to have some rain so not much play time. rain all last night and

some snow on the summit. below normal temps and today's high is 50 degrees.

post-955-0-69991400-1464016621_thumb.jpg