Note to New Members ×

Mt Hood Meadows Wednesday?

Mike T

My wife and I chose to move here for several reasons, the long season being a major one. Actually, I spent 5 years in Somerville and Cambridge, school plus one, and I've been a Sox fan for life... and there seems to be a lot of New Englanders transplanted here.

In any case, next time I'm out with some decent visibility and a couple other carvers I'll take some pix for you. Mots days I've been out thus far have been low visibility and fresh snow, a mixed blessing but certainly welcome at this point in the season. I suspect you'll see a lot of pix from Palmer in May, when it's sunny and we're the only ones on the hill again!

Mike ,

Have to work this wednesday, but I am planning on riding tomorrow . Let me know if you can make tomorrow instead. I am going to ride on friday also if interested(taking a friend who is a 1st timer). I will also try and get some pics , but the new 1meg max upload makes it harder. Anyone know how to compress jpg's down to smaller sizes. Also my digi cam takes avi movies but they all end up about 3meg's , any suggestion on how to set camera or convert the avi to smaller sizes ?

Jim

Hey Mike and Jim. Today , rained all the way up this am. Sunny and clear in the parking lot, alpine glow of the summit at 7:30am from the parking lot. Few riders. No alpine boards except mine. 4" overnight helped the groomers and the off piste. The ice from last week just a memory on the groomed. Cascade opened with fairly inconsistant grooming. Wind effected on the top half. Tough skiing , decent snowboarding in the dry but styro-foamy drifts. The real jem was Hood River. Well buffed (hard pack) with an inch of dust on top. No one there!! Mike, you would have loved it!!

Left some 4-6" trenches here and there in your honor!! Hope to see you all "Cranking" out the ditches soon!!

Tuesday was good also. The grooming was great on north-south canyons and on Shooting star. I found that HRM was great on the upper half bit the bottom headwall could use 1-2' of snow to let the groomers do their magic. There were 3 other hardbooters out and rode most of they day with Todd. and ?. It was overcast and started snowing lightly (1" by noon) . Did some runs on cascade but the top half was clouded in and it was too scary to ride fast on unknown early conditions. Looks like 4" new today and more on the way . I will be up friday if anyone wants to join .

Jim

Probably not as good as Monday or Tuesday but still decent. Upper half of HRM was the best spot in the AM.... nobody there, rode with Brian S. (oldsnowboards.com), made some really good runs!

I can't make it Friday unfortunately, but make some turns for me Jim!

P.S. Brian, thanks for all the help with my technique!