Note to New Members ×

SES 2015

johnasmo

I feel like I just got an extra day!  My legs started burning about half way through watching!

Great stuff John. I think it's some of your best stuff. The 2/3's slo-mo is about the same speed I see in my mind's eye when I enter carving nirvana...and there was lots of nirvana everywhere on the slopes in Aspen this year.

What kind of cam you use ?? And if is possible à pics of you set up.

Great video by the way!

Nothing fancy.  Just two consumer grade pocketable cameras; no backpacks for me.  A Sony HX20 for the hand-held shots, and GoPro Hero 3 Black for the follow-cam shots.  I attach the GoPro to the chin guard of my helmet when filming, back to pocket the rest of the time.  I used the Sony for follow-cam in the past, but it's not waterproof or shockproof, so that seemed risky.  White balance doesn't match between the two, but I can compensate post if I'm not too lazy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nothing fancy... and GoPro Hero 3 Black for the follow-cam shots.  I attach the GoPro to the chin guard of my helmet when filming, back to pocket the rest of the time.  

What setting are you using on the GoPro?  Video Resolution and frame rate, and Field of View setting? Are you using Protune?

Just curious... 

And may I add, great footage. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

What setting are you using on the GoPro?  Video Resolution and frame rate, and Field of View setting? Are you using Protune?

I leave it mostly on 1080p 60fps and medium field of view for following other riders.  I only use wide field of view if trying to capture myself in the video.  I think wide looks unnatural for following a subject; not only is the subject far away, but the speed is distorted and distracting from the subject when ground underfoot is in frame.

I haven't used Protune yet.  Not out of any dislike for it; just being lazy.  I'm not sure I want to put the time into adjusting the look in post processing.  I fully admit to NOT being a professional and approaching my videos as recreational editing -- quick and dirty edits with just enough quality so that I'm willing to watch them again as a collection of home movies.  That means not spending much time on image corrections, and mostly just cutting out the obviously bad shots and not spending a lot of time deciding what is actually good.  Long edits are A LOT easier to make than short ones -- sorry.

I wish they looked better on youtube.  The lower bitrate is one thing, but the lower framerate online makes them look choppy.  Lately I render my edits as 15 kbps of 1080p at 60 fps and they look really good as home movies on my home TVs.  The slow-motion looks alright online, but normal speed looks a lot better if you can see it at 60 fps.