Note to New Members ×

Sprained or broken wrist and elbow

Guest utahsnowrider

Guest utahsnowrider

I think I may have broken my wrist yesterday at Whitetail, PA. I want to say that I sprained my wrist, but now I am not too sure of this. I have sprained my wrist several times in my 13-14 years of snowboarding. I think I got jinxed for looking at some wrist guards the day before. The store carried only one brand of wrist guards. Thought I should shop around some more before deciding on a pair of wrist guards. Now I regret for not being impulsive enough to buy the only wrist guards that the store had.

Right now, my hand feels a bit swollen and it looks slightly swollen on the back of my hand. There is no coloration of the skin, which is one sign of no broken bone. I am able to move my fist around, but can't seem to move my fist back 90 degree. My other fist can move forward and back at almost 90 degree. My injured wrist/fist can move forward 90 degree but it hurts when I try to move it back 90 degree. Despite the pain, I am able to move it 3/4 way back. I suspect that the sprain and the swelling has inhibited the range of motion when I move my hand back at the wrist. OR is it me in denial that my wrist may be broken. I will be going back home to Utah for the Christmas break for 2 weeks. A broken wrist will blow it. I think I am going to give it two days before seeing a doctor.

The only problem I have with my elbow is the soreness and bruising. I am able to move around my elbow freely. I am not too concerned about my elbow as much I am about my wrist. I hurt my elbow and wrist when I landed on my stiff arm after the first bounce off the snow. My arm bent outwardly at the elbow. I am a sure many of you can relate to this. Any ideas or advices on what I should do with my wrist? Would like some ideas for wrist guards. Ain't going out without them.

FYI, I hurt my elbow and wrist on a soft set up. This is my second season on hard/carving set up. I am still new to carving.

Utahsnowrider,

Not very wise to wait, you had to see a doctor at once, he can take some pictures to see it right away and plaster it at once if necessary. Now you have to wait to take some pictures and to plaster it when the swelling of your wrist is away. Just rest your hand in a mitella around your neck, not to load/burden your wrist.

(I have experienced something like this, I broke my wrist partly and some fingers, and not with snowboarding but in a judocompetition and training).

Greets and I hope you will soon be better, Hans.

If I had treated you on the hill I would have spinted you and sent you to get xrays.

There are a lot of little bones in your hand and wrist. ther is a good chance that have broken one of them. the only way to tell though is with and xray. it is not worth a life time of pain for a with a hand that healed wrong.

most likely you will be able to ride with a cast any ways(if it is broken).

good luck

Rambo

hi there-

i am a broken wrist without proper care survivor. broke my left wrist while riding, didn't realize it for almost 2 months (high pain threshold and low IQ)...ended up with a Ti screw in my wrist, full cast to my upper arm, bone graft to hopefully knit the bone together (took over 2 years to start healing and it's still not fully grown back), missed most of the season that year.

please go and have it checked.

cheers!

steve

Guest utahsnowrider

Decided against waiting two days before seeing a doctor. My honey utilized her counseling techniques to convince me to see a doctor yesterday.

The doctor said that it was a sprain and compression of hand bones against the arm bones. Nothing serious, but said I should be fine after two weeks with in wrist brace. Just in time for my two week vacation in UTAH!!!! :D

Could use some ideas for wrist guards. Not going to Utah without them.

Thanks guys for your advices and help.