Note to New Members ×

How to get toe/heel lift on TD1s?

skategoat

I have 3 degree discs and a few bumpers lying around. I've been riding with outward cant but I think it's a sub-optimal setup. When I cant my front foot outward, the heel lifts more than the toe.

I want to counteract this. I want toe lift in the front and heel lift in the back and I don't really care much about canting. So what do I need to order? Or is there some way of rotating the discs that I'm not aware of?

I'm trying to picture the situation. I used to ride the TD1's but I thought that the 3 degrees was in the running direction of the board. That would mean inward cant on the front foot if you put the higher part towards the front, with less and less inward as you moved the binding toward steeper angles. Do I remember wrong? You should not have outward cant unless you have the base plate rotated 180 degrees. And that would hurt.

I've been riding with inward cant but I was monkeying around yesterday and thought I'd try outward cant on the front foot. Reason being, I'm slightly bow-legged.

Is this a no-no? I does look a bit awkward.

When I look at the TD1 parts list, I see discs that offer canting but nothing for lift (heel or toe). Does that mean you really can't lift the TD1s with stock parts?

Originally posted by skategoat

I've been riding with inward cant but I was monkeying around yesterday and thought I'd try outward cant on the front foot. Reason being, I'm slightly bow-legged.

Is this a no-no? I does look a bit awkward.

Nothing wrong with negative cant. I ride with toe/heel lift and a 1.5-degree negative cant on the front binding. Last weekend I rode the first day with negative cant and took it out on the second day in the morning to try and feel the difference. After 3 runs I put it right back in. Am a bit bow legged as well and it seems to really adjust the position.

Ray

Originally posted by skategoat

I have 3 degree discs and a few bumpers lying around. I've been riding with outward cant but I think it's a sub-optimal setup. When I cant my front foot outward, the heel lifts more than the toe.

I want to counteract this. I want toe lift in the front and heel lift in the back and I don't really care much about canting. So what do I need to order? Or is there some way of rotating the discs that I'm not aware of?

As said on this forum many years ago and math/geometry shows, the Bomber base disc works as lift at high angles (over 45-50 degrees). and not much as cant. You can take calculator and see for yourself. Is 0.5 degree a big cant for you?

I use Bomber plates with 3 degree cant disk working as toe lift on my front foot at 55 degrees. I keep it flat at 0 degrees on my back foot.

Originally posted by yyzcanuck

Fin used to sell a 10mm lift kit for the heel/toe bails but I don't see them online either. You may be able to use the step-in (taller) toe pad and accomplish the same thing.

TD1 - toe pad

I used to use them, but I had to send them back to Fin. The soifter shell Raichle were not working well with bindings while lifts were mounted. The binding could easyly release during runs. I had that problem a few times a day. They may work with harder shell boots... or more gentle carver:D