Note to New Members ×

aspen culinary recommendations

bigwavedave

Yes, Aspen has great carving, but I've heard there's some pretty good food too. Just for fun, I thought I'ld start a food "not-to-be-missed" thread. Anyone have recommendations of a favorite place or dish served that you have to go for when you're in Aspen?  

For instance, a certain carving sommelier directed me towards the pate at the Ajax tavern and the wood fired pizza and cookie at 12,000' up4pizza. Both well worth experience. Is the fondue at Cloud Nine that good? 

Nice idea! Disclaimer: I do not have a refined palette. Truly fine food is mostly wasted on me.

The wrap store in Aspen. It's on the lower level, right beside Surefoot. Best value in Aspen, and impossibly convenient when transitioning from Ajax First Tracks to Buttermilk. Note that half a wrap does not survive in your pocket while riding the rest of the day.

Hickory House in Aspen. Meat. Meat. Meat. BBQ sauce. Other unimportant stuff.

The Italian/Pizza place in the base of Snowmass. Can't recall the name right now, but it was on the second floor. I haven't had anything bad there.

We also went to Smoke in Basalt (maybe Carbondale?) many years ago and loved it. Too far to drive/bus unless you're staying out there though.

SoftBootSailor or Jim or Angie could tell you where the locals prefer. 

When I go, I'm seldom looking for anything that could be classified as "culinary". I call it dinner. 

New York Pizza west of downtown (I think) has big slices of pretty good pizza & beer for a reasonable price. 

Boogie's Diner downtown has good burgers, turkey, meatloaf (diner food). Pretty tasty at a reasonable price. 

Hi John,

"Culinary"  was meant a little tongue-in-cheek, I didn't mean overpriced or pretentious. I liked the New York Pizza place, good, hand made crust, memorable, I'ld go back there.

Not sure I'ld go back to Boogie's. Don't remember what I had there, but the atmosphere was...unappetizing? 

More than a couple of times I found myself returning to City Market for their sushi--surprisingly good--that with an ice cold lager or pilsner really hit the spot.

Cory,

Gonna have to try one of those wraps, I remember  someone else raving about them.

Also, the onion soup at the fancy place at the bottom of Highlands (table cloths etc, don't remember the name) was really good with a glass of red wine. Outside seating was more casual.

Oh, and the Stewpot in Snowmass. Kind of across from the Four Mountain Sports. It's tiny though, seating is quite limited. Spiral staircase to the upstairs is so steep and tight that it feels like some kind of code violation. Exciting in hardboots! ;)

I second Boogies. Odd 1960s diner feel with $300 jeans downstairs but good food for the money.

I've also been impressed with the on-hill food too. Pricey, but at least there's variety and it's good. Not like paying $7 for a dry ham sandwich at other resorts...

The Big Wrap. YUM. 

The wrap store in Aspen. It's on the lower level, right beside Surefoot. Best value in Aspen, and impossibly convenient when transitioning from Ajax First Tracks to Buttermilk. Note that half a wrap does not survive in your pocket while riding the rest of the day.

I may be a bit biased, but I love where I work for just that reason.  HOPS Culture is a beer joint that specializes in microbrews (230 of 'em) and comfort food.  We have all the booze you want, plus killer food at great prices.  Check out our menu: http://o6ndw3vjy8x3p12uu7wofx19.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/32/2014/12/Food-Menu-121514-FULL.pdf

Yep - some good recommendations here. I'll say "here here" on the Stewpot - awesome stews and soups and the like, and reasonably priced. Plus, if you're into Lamb Shanks (and being a Kiwi, of course I am!) they do AWESOME shanks. At least, they've done that in previous seasons - but keep an eye out for those (but they are usually a limited daily run, but they do take 'reservations' on shanks so perhaps at the end of riding on Snowmass, duck in, reserve your shank, and come back later! :)

The Big Wrap in downtown Aspen is awesome, as has been stated.

Also - if you're in to Japanese, Matsuhisa is great (a little pricey if you want to sit and dine in the main restaurant, but the sushi bar is more reasonable). 

Aspen Over Easy for breakfast/brunch, and they've just started doing dinners. The best breakfast in town IMHO (although the Main St Bakery Cafe is also really good).

And I would HIGHLY recommend the White House - check out the French Dip, it is AWESOME.

Oh, and Justice Snow's is also really good and a local favourite.

Venga Venga in the Snowmass Mall is fun - sitting out on the balcony by one of the fire-pits at the end of a day of riding, sinking a few Margaritas or Dos Equis' and their made-right-in-front-of-you guacamole is REALLY good...

Lots of great options to enjoy!

Crispen and I go to Su Casa across from the wheeler opera house downstairs from the Hub...

we each get a Margarita, Chips and Salsa, some Bacon Wrapped Shrimp, she likes the Blackened Fish Tacos and I like a Classic style Chilli Relleno with salad on the plate with the Lime Cilantro dressing... we also go to little Ollies for Chinese food occasionally...and there is Thai food down by Clarks market...

Edited by softbootsailer

Great thread!

Gloria ( my partner in crime ),  reminded me we only went out to eat 1 time at SES last year, so these are great ideas.

Thanks

I've gotten a wrap and a fruit bowl from Bumps at Buttermilk  for lunch, it was a little pricey, but very good.

Does the Aspen inn at Buttermilk do any food/drink?